What "new" race for BB would you like GW to bring out?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: What "new" race for BB would you like GW to bring out?

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Bakunin wrote:@rolo.

I cant agree with you since we have witch elf, wardancers, troll slayers, Chaos Warriors, Bull Centaurs, Gutter Runners etc.
These are all warhammer fantasy warriors type players, not athletes.
Actually Bakunin ... this is incorrect. Jervis required us to have documentation for every specially named player in Blood Bowl for the CRP version on HOW it got that name. Otherwise the BBRC was REQUIRED to make the name generic (ie Wardancer become Blitzer, etc.). So with this edition we were told ... no Warhammer Fantasy types unless you explain in the CRP WHY they have that name directly in the rulebook.

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

So there is a fluff explanation, but they are still warhammer fantasy warriors.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Bakunin wrote:So there is a fluff explanation, but they are still warhammer fantasy warriors.
No ... sorry if I was unclear. We had to re-write how they received that name from a BB world perspective. The Warhammer links had to be removed. They are not warhammer fantasy warriors anymore ... it was a requirement by Jervis.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Really there are only a handful of positional players that are uniquely based on WHFB fluff and not on the standard 6 BB positions: Troll Slayer and Witch Elf come to mind. Wardancers are really just Wood Elf Blitzers, and Gutter Runners are really just Skaven Catchers. Black Orc Blocker refers to a specific WHFB sub-race of Orc, but they're still at their core only Orc Blockers. I suppose you could say the Chaos team -- and Nurgle -- are based on WHFB tropes, but only superficially. Undead take some cues from WHFB, but they also have a long and storied BB history -- Skeletons and Zombies have been around since 1st Ed, and Mummies are referred to in the 2nd Ed rulebooks. And then Wights are Blitzers, Ghouls are Catchers.

I think for most of them, it's worth asking: does this player conform to a positional stereotype, and if so, was a suitable WHFB name picked for it just to add some flavor? Generally, the answer is yes.

Milo

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Regarding the missive sent to GW, I also doubt you'll get much of a response. For one, GW isn't in charge of Blood Bowl at the moment, Forgeworld is. Secondly, GW was very interested in this sort of fan-submitted article back in the Citadel Journal days, but they shut those publications down years ago and don't seem as receptive.

I frankly think you're much more likely to get feedback and responses by posting it here.

Milo

Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

rolo wrote:
Deus Magi wrote:Ah well, just ideas throwing out there. You know your stuff. Posted the letter today, likely I'll just receive a "thank you very much for your enthusiasm, it will be passed over to be reviewed," sort of thing. But I feel quite positive about it, and it felt good to send it off. who knows eh!
Not trying to knock your efforts, but my money is on "never hear from them again". Good luck tho.
Well we'll see, as I mentioned, I think a standard thank you response, most companies would, as they want to keep potential customers happy.
Milo wrote:Regarding the missive sent to GW, I also doubt you'll get much of a response. For one, GW isn't in charge of Blood Bowl at the moment, Forgeworld is. Secondly, GW was very interested in this sort of fan-submitted article back in the Citadel Journal days, but they shut those publications down years ago and don't seem as receptive.

I frankly think you're much more likely to get feedback and responses by posting it here.
Well that was the point of this thread (*ah*). I put a few of my ideas out there, and asked others what they'd like to see. I posted on the "The job to rewrite the rulebook has been posted" thread that I was going to write to GW to put ideas forward and mention what the fans would like to see. If you read the re-write thread, you'll see that someone mentioned that they thought I was a "Shill" for GW due to it. I put peoples thoughts in my letter (not taking credit for them), gave the source of the information and included my own ideas on future possible products and the game itself. A five page A4 letter in total, took me awhile writing it out, but I felt quite good about it! Maybe nothing will come of it, but if one idea is picked up, and influences someone involved in the games development, then a win.

I actually sent it to Forgeworld (who I look upon as GW) so I think I sent it to the right people, and Jim and Bob also agreed that that Forgeworld was the right place to send it. I mean you can actually go and meet the creators of the game, at some sort of show somewhere, so for Jim and Bob to even mention that, then the new creators must be interested in fans response. I feel that someone will read it.

I do understand what you say about GW moving away from fans assisting, such as you mention with the Citadel Journal publications. That's not new, as White Dwarf did that initially with the Fiend Factory miniatures. I'd guess there are various reasons why they have moved away. I don't believe that even if GW did use what I put forward, that they could say due to legalities maybe?,... but I'm not bothered about that. If I see a good product, and designed with bits that I mentioned, then great!

As an aside, back in the early 1990's? Awhile back, I was gaming at my local club. I had my full Skaven army (about 350 to 400 miniatures) and had packaged them all in boxes. GW did their new carry cases, which were the old corrugated foam type. I thought these were rubbish, as the models would not lay flat and ended up rubbing against each other. I'd got some quality cardboard boxes from WH Smiths that had locking catches and cut three layers of foam. The centre piece of foam had 50 individual hand cut compartments so every mini was completely contained and protected. I cut them by hand with Stanley blades, and you'd be surprised how many blades I got through cutting the soft foam, and how long it took! anyway, when I was down the club, the local GW manager came over. He mentioned the GW cases, and took an interest in mine. Around the time I started asking my own cases people were using anything to put minis in, usually those plastic food container lunchboxes (the name escapes me a really famous brand that I don't think exists anymore, used to be sold door to door?) that EVERYONE had in their mums kitchen, with bits of toilet roll and allsorts to wrap their armies in.

Anyway had a good old discussion, 2why don't you buy GW's?" "They are rubbish, the foams awful!" and it was also mentioned that the time it took me to do it I'd have been better off getting a 2nd job and buying GW's (although I actually made them in in my actual job's paid for worktime). Just after we chatted a student of the College / University came over and asked me if he could do a his business studies thesis on what I'd made as his project / exam. I said "Yeah, sure, no problem," or words to that effect, to which he replied "Well I was going to anyway, and walked off." I thought, "Well why ask then you arrogant D!c*h*@d." :pissed:

Later I noted that GW changed to using compartmentalised foam. Now what they did was the logical progression of their product (even though I think I'd actually had mine since before they came out with theirs?), but I did wonder if that manager had been in a meeting and was asked "So, what ideas have you got to move the business forward?" "Well, I was looking at our cases the other day,.......and,..." I later saw, and bought another brand of well known storage cases (let's just call them Germania) who do a complete carriage system. These storage boxes also completely locked shut and had multiple storage spaces in soft foam for miniatures. Maybe someone created a whole business from something I did, and good on them if they have. Employing people and achieving something, who knows?

I do wonder about that, who knows how you influence others in the course of your life, sometimes from such small actions? Not that I have here, but one day maybe I'll meet and chat with the creator of that storage case company (perhaps as I buy another carry case), and in passing ask him if he studied business at Uni and where? If it was in my local town and he's the right age, then I'd be interested to see if he is still as rude and arrogant. As I say, who knows eh.

(*ah*) I've just read back, and I did not make it clear that I was going to write to GW in my initial post. I believe that I mentioned it later on in this thread though, so I hope no one gets upset about me trying to get what they consider the big bad GW to make products that they the fans would actually like to see.

Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

Well I received a reply from Andy Hoare, which as very good of him. So I achieved what I set out to do. :D