What "new" race for BB would you like GW to bring out?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: What "new" race for BB would you like GW to bring out?

Post by Gaixo »

Isn't "Fellowship" the obvious name for the good guy version of Chaos Pact?

Reason: ''
Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

I don't know? I was thinking back to the figure set GW brought out all those years ago. Law is the opposite of Chaos, Lawful Fellowship? Bit Lord pf the Rings maybe? I'm leaning to Lawful Heroes. Damn good guys! Lords of Law? Again, a bit LOTR.

Regash

Post by Regash »

At least in the german version of Blood Bowl 1 from Cyanide, Bob and Jim talk about a team called "Heroes of Law".
They say, that they try to prove that you can be good at Blood Bowl without bribing and cheating.
And how awfully dull and boring they are...

So the "Heroes of Law" are kind of BB fluff, right?

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

So heros of law, what positionals would they have? I'm guessing human line menz, dwarf blitzers, halflings and an Ogre?

I would like a forest greenskin team, so Forest Goblins and Savage Orcs, maybe with a Rock Idol big guy or some other suitably massive forest fluff. I'll write that team up now for 59.95... :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Regash

Post by Regash »

They don't specify the race but I imagined them always to be a human team.

Savage Orcs sound kind of interesting, although I can't think of anything to make them "orcish" enough to be orcs but still different enough to distinguish them from normal orcs.
For the big guy, they'd sure use a treeman, coming from the forest an all...
No need to create a new one! :wink:

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Regash wrote:They don't specify the race but I imagined them always to be a human team.

Savage Orcs sound kind of interesting, although I can't think of anything to make them "orcish" enough to be orcs but still different enough to distinguish them from normal orcs.
For the big guy, they'd sure use a treeman, coming from the forest an all...
No need to create a new one! :wink:
Savage Orcs would make an awesome team, they'd have less armour than normal orcs with out all the positionals and maybe some frenzy. Add some Forest Goblins and come up with funky rules like giving them dauntless maybe.
But no, a Treeman will not play for an Orc team. Seriously this is downright heresy :cry:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Regash wrote:At least in the german version of Blood Bowl 1 from Cyanide, Bob and Jim talk about a team called "Heroes of Law".
They say that in the English language version too. Although I literally only just now realized that's what they were saying, it sounds like "Heroes of Lore".

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Idea (which has zero chance to get implemented, and would be guaranteed to be super broken in at least a few cases, but ...)

Team Templates!

Make out some team templates (Pirates, Savage, Cheater, whatever) which can be applied to any team. Pirate High Elves! Savage Dwarves! Cheater Skaven! Etc.

I'm thinking something like:

Savage Template:
-1 Armor on the "Lineman" type player and subtract 10k from cost
Add Frenzy to "Blitzer" type player and add 10k to cost
Reroll cost +10k

Disclaimer: This is purely for entertainment, I don't actually think this is a good idea.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

frogboy wrote:Savage Orcs would make an awesome team, they'd have less armour than normal orcs with out all the positionals and maybe some frenzy.
Savage Orcs fit the Cyanide Khorne roster better than Khorne do.

If you want some ideas, check out the MBBL2 PBeM league (which would need work as it was LRB4 and earlier, and had a lot of house rules.
http://www.midgardbb.com/BloodBowlTeams.html

frogboy wrote:So heros of law, what positionals would they have? I'm guessing human line menz, dwarf blitzers, halflings and an Ogre?
Why Dwarf blitzers? Pact have to take linemen from the "other" races, so should a good version.
Regash wrote:At least in the german version of Blood Bowl 1 from Cyanide, Bob and Jim talk about a team called "Heroes of Law".
They say, that they try to prove that you can be good at Blood Bowl without bribing and cheating.
And how awfully dull and boring they are...
Sounds like they've just re-used the 2nd ed Bright Crusaders human team's fluff. :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Darkson wrote:Savage Orcs fit the Cyanide Khorne roster better than Khorne do.
Funny that ;)

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

Deus Magi wrote:Rules for them aside, perhaps we can "debate" that one on another thread. If we could try to keep the thread laid out well, such as:

Race,......... Pros,............ Cons,.........
A few years back I was playing with the idea of a race I called Rock Gnomes.

Their linemen would have 4239 guard AS possibly stunty too
They would have a Gnome Inventor that would rival a Deathroller or possibly Stone
Golems.
Access to most if not all secret weapons on roster.

The idea is low strenght/high armor and guard spam.
IN one version of it they even had ST 1.

Race: Rock Gnomes

Pros: Unique in the sense that they are weaker but still hard to get rid of. Potential for unique combo skill(Jump Up, DT, Guard)(Sidestep, Guard) with AS on normal.

Cons: THey may be a bit one sided since they are confinced to the blocking and position game. And of course, some may argue they are just weaker and more agile dorfs.

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

With the Heroes of Law thing, I've always liked the idea of mixing and matching current players to create new teams 'with a twist', a la Chaos Pact or Underworld.

How about something like this for the Heroes of Law:

0-12 Human Lineman 6|3|3|8 G/ASP, 50k,
0-2 Human Catchers 8|2|3|7 Dodge, Catch, GA/SP 70k
0-2 Halfling Adventurers 5|2|3|6 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, A/GSP 30k
0-2 Saurus Crusaders 6|4|1|9, GS/AP 80k
0-2 High Elf Nobles 6|3|4|8 GA/SP, 70k
0-1 Ogre 5|5|2|9 Loner, Bone-head, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate, S/GAP 140k
Rerolls 70k. Stars: Soaren Hightower, Zara the Slayer, Griff Oberwald, Puggy Baconbreath, Prince Moranion, Morg'n'Thorg, (no Secret Weapons, Bribes cost double)

"They're the 'good guys', and as such you'll not see them cheating! It's not in the spirit of the game! (Well, that's what they say on paper...) A collection of various positions that have come together to show the world how Blood Bowl should be played, at least in their book."

Pros: Both strong players and agile players.
Cons: Slow, lacking on Bash. Not much consistency in players.

Obviously these are just rough ideas. In direct comparison with Pact they lose access the array of Big Guys and Mutations, but they don't have Animosity and can double up on their positionals. This is working on the basis that they're all essentially on the 'same side', as Lizards are seen as sort-of good. Could lose the lizards, maybe get a dwarf in there? Or, could give animosity to them after all... Dunno. Up for suggestions!

Another potential alliance team could maybe be the a Jungle team? A mix of Zons, Lizards and Slann, maybe?

0-12 Slann Linemen
0-12 Skink Linemen
0-2 Saurus
0-2 Slann Catchers
0-2 Amazon Blitzers
0-2 Kroxigors
Rerolls 70k

Pros: Both strong players and agile players again, Blodgers early on.
Cons: Not great bash, not great skill access.

Again, I'm relatively new to Blood Bowl, so please take my suggestions with a pinch of salt!

Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

I started writing this earlier this morning, and other things kept coming up also other people keep posting so I'm having to add to it. Which is great!

""They say, that they try to prove that you can be good at Blood Bowl without bribing and cheating.
And how awfully dull and boring they are..."" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps we can make them more interesting. Had a good old think about this last night. To oppose or be opposite to the name of the Chaos Pact, I was thinking the Lawful Covenant. This directly relates. Lawful (Chaos) Covenant (Pact). A Covenant being a solemn agreement between Church members to act together in harmony with the precepts of the gospel. So that sort of gives the team angle, working together. Perhaps an angel as a mascot and very religious. the Chaos Pact has downsides, Loner and Animosity for instance. Any goodly team, should perhaps also have some sort of downside also, a disagreement between faith doctrine or some ecumenical matter. Rolo mentions the Heroes of Lore. Looking it up lore is the body of knowledge of a traditional, anecdotal, or popular nature, on a particular subject. Learning, knowledge, or erudition. Something that is taught, a lesson. so that gives a wide angle and perhaps links to the Lawful Covenants teachings.

Perhaps some sort of Skill, such as Arrogance or One Upmanship, as the players want to be the best in the team or show that their particular branch of the church of Og is the true faith. Or just the different faiths of each race causing issues, that seems more likely, with the Halflings not really caring and only interested in stuffin their faces. As for lineup, Humans, Dwarves, Halflings and an Ogre seem really in order. Darkson makes a valid point about the Dwarf Blitzers. Unless to do so set off something equally detrimental to them. Treemen already go with the Halfling team, so I can't see them included myself. Perhaps one other in there though. I still can't get Zoats out of my head. The Chaos Pact have three Big Guys, maybe one more for the goodies? The Chaos Pact have a wider choice, but then perhaps more issues due to that wider choice. Their opposite having less choice for the team maybe, but a strength elsewhere to offset this? I really like the idea of a Zoat, as it adds something new, but is still in the Fantasy genre.

A forest greenskin team. What would they be called? The Savages. Or just Savage Greenskins. Orkoid Savages? Some nice miniatures there, and this is what I was referring to with pirates, some sort of slant that adds to a miniature. Perhaps Forest Goblins drugged up on berry juice or from licking tree frogs would have a skill offering an extra step, or less likely to be wounded. Savage Orcs, like that and a Rock Idol Big Guy Stone Troll. Harder than a standard Troll (+1 AV?), and controlled so no Stupidity. Hear me out, but something that detracts? Perhaps the weather, if it's really sunny, there's a chance he will turn to stone. This could really be an issue if he's about to throw team mate and that guy is then held solid (failure so end of turn?). If that detracts too much, then maybe he's strong and can launch someone an extra square? So it balances.

The team would need something to set it aside from standard Orcs though. How about Snotlings and Squigs? The Snotlings could be booted down the pitch, in the same manner as the Skill Throw Team mate. Squigs could be bred for the game. Long legs and act as fast runners, but with no arms, they are able to be tackled easier (+1). So fast moving, but easier to be put down. Maybe they suffer from some animosity, but not if they have a Snotling (herder) near by. This would add speed to the Savages team, be in keeping with the fantasy genre, and they make great little miniatures. Also GW haven't done this before for Bloodbowl. Red and green on the pitch, would make for a great looking team. I don't see the Treemen, as Orcs will burn anything and Treemen are really in the Wood Elves and Halfling camp.

So that's Snotlings, Goblins, Orcs, Squigs and a Big Guy Rock Totem Golem / Troll? Leaning towards Golem, to give it that different look, but perhaps one other addition. Fimir? A Water Weird made from mad orc magic? A different looking team, but also will it play differently. Perhaps make it not as tough a team as standard Orks, but with a little more speed. The Squigs could be bred differently, maybe have some other Skill or Skills. That would make for good team choice, and various skills would cut across. Squigs with Horns Skill? The literature already has Horned Squigs and Guard Squigs. Perhaps a Skill Sharp Teeth? You could even have a Big Buy Squig, although I'm unsure how that would play out? I'm with the Savage Orcs being an awesome team, Frogboy is right about less armour than normal Orcs with out all the positionals. Definitely the Skill Frenzy due to some infusion or secretion from forest caterpillers or something. Forest Goblins with Daunless, genius! I can see that going well in game. The above is a different Orc team and I really like where that's going.

59.95 for forest fluff? A bargain!!! but realistically, why not? If ideas were put to GW, and nothing happened, then why not write up, or even offer Jervis to write something up. Problem if he's paid, then that's profit from GW's IP? but there's nothing to stop the players coming together and creating something to take the game forward, or in a different direction (as I mentioned earlier with Epic).

Rolo, no idea is a bad idea, as it may inspire others along a path to something that works well. That actually adds something to the game. It's different, and gives opportunity for something different and perhaps a different style. Definitely adds an interest to it, and from GW's marketing perspective (Sell miniatures) more opportunity to do so. even if it's the same set with different heads and certain parts. That's a good idea. Whether it might over or under power certain teams I don't know. But a good idea. This goes back to the genre idea I was getting to, and adding something new, but it's an individual choice to do so. Leagues could always rule that such rules were not allowed, if an issue, and then the same team could just be used as the standard Humans or Orcs. I think that's very interesting.

Afroman, that's an interesting concept. Boy they'd be slow moving down the pitch to score and Skaven would run rings around them but the Secret Weapons to injure the other team, and perhaps careful positioning with some device that gives them the ability to trip players moving round them (-1 or -2 to Dodge). That would change the game a bit! Some sort of Rock golem or mechanical construct. That gives plenty of scope.

Trumpkin, I'm relatively new to Bloodbowl myself, but again, good thoughts there. A Jungle team is a good idea. Perhaps with an Ape Star Player? A version of a Treeman? The High Elf nobles in the Good guys team seems very fitting.

I really would like to see some of this stuff come to fruition. Some great ideas being bounced around.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Better than Pact.
To many positionals.
Treeman makes more sense for a "good" team than a Ogre.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

See you point on the Ogre, but then it can come down to how the stories written. A "born again" Ogre who found faith? Are there any really "goodly" Big uns? Perhaps a new one. Some sort of Angel or something considered above reproach.