What "new" race for BB would you like GW to bring out?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: What "new" race for BB would you like GW to bring out?

Post by Darkson »

Are there really any "goodly" races? Much of what I read about WFB elves seemed to paint them out as neutral/selfish, if not downright evil. ;)

But I don't think any "good" team would want a player that routinely demanded extra halflings for his pre-match meal.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

But how about we see:
a) how much, if any, GW change the rules, and
b) how long it takes them to get all the current races in the game
before we start a massive list of "new teams".

If (and I don't believe they will, but who knows) they decide to set BB in the AoS era then half the suggestions in this thread so far make no sense.
And then the rules - if they simplify the rules further (and again, I don't think they will, but they might) then asking for a team that needs 3 or 4 special rules/skills to work is never going to fly.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

That's the thing, the lines of 'good' and 'bad' are a bit blurry, and you are right, Ogres are really in the middle... It's only because they go with humans already, and I didn't want to be too mixed up. A treeman should work, it's only because I didn't want to include Wood Elves in the mix, but I suppose it could be a halfling treeman. I chose the races below as they're generally considered in the grand scheme of things to not be evil evil, in the same way that vampires or chaos are evil.

With the too many Positionals route, do you mean too many different ones or the fact they're 0-2? Pact have six, and I suppose in my one you could potential have 7. Hows about..

How about:

0-12 Human Lineman 6|3|3|8 G/ASP, 50k,
0-1 Human Catcher 8|2|3|7 Dodge, Catch, GA/SP 70k
0-1 Halfling Adventurer 5|2|3|6 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, A/GSP 30k
0-1 Saurus Crusader 6|4|1|9, GS/AP 80k
0-1 Dwarf Blitzer 5|3|3|9, Block, Thick Skull GS/AP 80k
0-1 High Elf Noble 6|3|4|8 GA/SP, 70k
0-1 Treeman 2|6|1|10 Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Strong Arm, Take Root, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate S/GAP 120k
Rerolls 70k. Stars: Soaren Hightower, Zara the Slayer, Griff Oberwald, Puggy Baconbreath, Prince Moranion, Morg'n'Thorg, (no Secret Weapons, Bribes cost double)

This way you have the thrower/catcher/big guy/two blitzer demographic still. Darkson, what do you think?

I was always reluctant Deus to create 'new' new players or rules, like angels or whatnot. Mostly because I'd like the idea of being able to model or proxy one based on what I already own, and the more brand new stuff you add the more people won't like it! :)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Trumpkin wrote:With the too many Positionals route, do you mean too many different ones or the fact they're 0-2? Pact have six, and I suppose in my one you could potential have 7.
Your "Law" team has/had the potential for 9 positionals (2 catchers, 2 flings, 2 elfs, 2 saurus, 1 ogre).
Any new team should be looking to be a tier 2 team in terms of power (vamps, underworld, pact) - if later it's decided it should be a tier 1 team it's always easier to buff up than nerf down.
As such, a Law team should be similar to Pact, though I can see losing Animosity and/or adding a couple of positional (rather than linemen) to make up for the loss of M access (though they're also troubled by the lack of the SP access as well).

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

The Heroes of Law team I've been kicking around goes something like this:

1-12 Human Linemen 6 3 3 8 G ASP
1-12 Halflings 5 2 3 6 Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty A GSP
1-2 Dwarves 4 3 2 9 Guard, Thick Skull GS AP
1-2 Elves 7 3 4 7 (I was thinking unskilled, maybe Nerves of Steel) GA SP
1 Treeman 2 6 1 10 Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Strong Arm, Take Root, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate S GAP

Rerolls 50K

The idea is, under-skilled, but unlike the Chaos teams, not subject to Animosity (or even Loner on the trees!). Rerolls are cheap because they're so well-coordinated. I know that no animosity is very contrary to GW fluff, but I thought that a feeling of actual teamwork might work as the team's "hook" since they don't get anything like the mutations that Pact or Underworld get. The guard on the dwarves would reflect this, and also be unique for a starting skill. Pricing would have to be adjusted accordingly and I haven't thought about that too much. A good build where you could start with three rerolls would be ideal.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

Deus Magi wrote:I don't know? I was thinking back to the figure set GW brought out all those years ago. Law is the opposite of Chaos, Lawful Fellowship? Bit Lord pf the Rings maybe? I'm leaning to Lawful Heroes. Damn good guys! Lords of Law? Again, a bit LOTR.
That was indeed the idea.

That should also inform the team selection, I think. Couple of dwarves, couple of elves, human linemen (include blitzers if you need to strengthen the team up), some halflings, a treeman. While it doesn't have the hooks of Chaos Pact (easy mutations and 3 big guys being that team's selling points), it's probably interesting enough without being overpowered.

0-2 wood elf linemen
0-2 dwarf blockers
0-2 human blitzers
0-4 halflings
0-16 human linemen
0-1 treeman

EDIT: Wiffleball stole all my stuff. :) He can keep those weird dwarves, though. Agree with 50k rerolls and lack of animosity.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I like my weird dwarves! :D They're the most unique aspect of the team.

I agree that it does need something more blitzer-y though. I was trying to avoid adding another positional, but they may just need it.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Regash

Post by Regash »

I just thought a treeman would fit the forest theme nicely and was weird enough to be some fun...
And no, I don't think that orcs and gobos, who live in the forest, will burn down any tree they see. Makes kind of no sense.
Obviously, I'm the only one seeing it from that angle. :(
:orc:

Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

Yes, but Darkson, maybe he's a vegetarian Ogre! If they set it in the AOS era, that would be a complete mash of teams. See you point about special/rules skills. But some skills do cut across if worded differently Horns, Spikes, Teeth any charge or gore ability.

Trumpkin, you are right about Angels, they don't really work, but I was just trying to see GW's perspective. They are selling miniatures, that's their game. In the past I heard that they concentrated on 40K for a few reasons, one being due to the amount of miniatures it required, compared to others. an increase in that, by that idea of team templates for different customised genres, or different miniatures, that fit fully into the game. I know I keep on about it, but a Zoat is basically a good Centaur. So if it had the same stats as a Chaos Dwarf Bull centaur, then that's an extra miniature or miniature sold, with no actual detraction from the game and no unbalancing either. I think maybe there are too many different not the fact they're 0-2. 0-2 seems good to me. Chaos Pact get 0-1 but I think the more choice for the Goodies is good.

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Two minutes in MS Paint later...

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Re-reading it, 9 positionals isn't actually that crazy. Humans could have potentially up to 10, orcs up to 13(!).

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Trumpkin wrote:Re-reading it, 9 positionals isn't actually that crazy. Humans could have potentially up to 10, orcs up to 13(!).
And Orcs can have 13. Two wrongs don't make a right. ;)
And humans aren't the "opposite" of a Law team, Pact are, so you should be trying to mirror Pact as much as possible (while still keeping it balanced).

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

also, the holy symbol of Sarenrae is the intellectual property of Paizo ;)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

rolo wrote:also, the holy symbol of Sarenrae is the intellectual property of Paizo ;)
I literally googled 'Paladin holy logo symbol' and picked something fancy looking to fill the gap! One its just a random mock up to see how it could look, and if for whatever reason it became and actual official (hah) thing if put something else on it.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Deus Magi wrote:I don't know? I was thinking back to the figure set GW brought out all those years ago. Law is the opposite of Chaos, Lawful Fellowship? Bit Lord pf the Rings maybe? I'm leaning to Lawful Heroes. Damn good guys! Lords of Law? Again, a bit LOTR.
Why not go ALL LOTR?

4 Halflings
2 Human Blitzers
1 Human thrower
1 Dwarf Blocker
1 Elf wardancer
0-1 Gobllum
0-6 Treemen

Free wizard every half :D

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.