So what size to make new models?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: So what size to make new models?

Post by Darkson »

I intend to buy a box, but I'll still be using 28mm teams. If Impact (and the other 3rd parties) increase their size to match GW I stop buying them.

28mm models on a 32mm pitch work fine. 32mm models won't work on a 29mm pitch.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Good feedback.

And Darkson ... I had not planned on any new releases at 32mm scale ... so no worries on that. Just since I had to redo the Elves anyway I wanted to get feedback.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

From what I've heard, the preview models seem to be about 28mm to the eyes, just on larger bases for some reason.

I have hundreds of models in this scale, and I'd prefer future models to be as much in this scale as possible ;)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

I'd vote anywhere between 2 Ed model sizes (a little smaller than most 3rd Ed) to Willy Miniatures size (a bit bigger than 3rd Ed.) I can stand a little variability, but I really feel like the modern Willy Miniatures are the LARGEST scale I'd want to see on a pitch.

ETA: I do think the Impact Timberline Elves could use a slight size up -- they're pretty small.

Milo

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

I'm personally a fan of 2nd ed models, so I don't like anything larger than 3rd edition. :)

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I'm a big fan of 25mm bases (and have accessories, skill rings, and football rings in this size).

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

rolo wrote:I'm a big fan of 25mm bases (and have accessories, skill rings, and football rings in this size).
+1

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Impact! Miniatures - 10 years old

Feedback heard ... I won't move them to the new new scale

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

I don't play TT anymore (but will buy the new BB box), so take this as you want.

I would see what size the new GW BB models are and make them exactly that scale. From a marketing perspective, that would capture the largest group of players new and old. Those that have the older, smaller scale models already have more teams and are less likely to need new teams. And new players will not want models that are too small (or big) alongside their GW models.

jdmofo
Experienced
Experienced

Post by jdmofo »

I'd say you'd be better off sticking with the current scale.

Any new blood coming into BB (and any of us old timers who jump on board with the new GW BB stuff) will want the new scale, but they'll be buying it from GW.

The 3rd party guys are probably better off continuing to serve the old guard, many of which will be wanting the old scale.

Must be a bit of a worrying time, will the new BB bring more people to BB and therefore more custom to the 3rd party guys, or will the influx of cool new GW models hurt the 3rd party guys? Only time will tell I guess :/

*now with added signature!*
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

jdmofo wrote:Must be a bit of a worrying time
Not really. Most of the 3rd party providers are hobby businesses (ie not what they pay the mortgage with) and the ones that do pay the mortgage with their business have mostly diversified. (example FF figs is currently about 25% of Impact!'s sales)

So really it should not be a big risk ... really just upside from new players that find out about the other teams for BB and cannot get them from GW.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

If it was me I think I would go somewhere between the two scales. Maybe make the models every so slightly larger.

I guess everything depends on whether the new game will indeed flood the new player market as they hope. It could. I guess we will have to see.

Michael

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Soooo ... I would like to hear feedback. I am getting ready to redo the models for the High / Dark Elf team as the molds were destroyed filling the KickStarter and we had to redo it all from scratch before they come out.!
I bought/pledged for the metal version of these when the KS ran and there were some issues with the original casting (you may or may not remember our correspondence after the delivery of the KS material). The fine detail issues might be sorted with a resizing of the team up to a 32mm scale so, if that is an option on the table, I approve of it.

If they were resized, moulds remade with attention to where linking tabs were located and properly casted in metal, I might well shell out some $$$ for another full set.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

dfunkateer wrote:I think that regardless of what established gamers prefer, the scale of any new miniatures have to match GW's scale for third party miniatures to remain an attractive option.

Rightly or wrongly, the scale of GW's new models will be regarded as the norm so if a third party makes models in a different scale, this will only set them apart and not in a good way. I know first hand from having bought a Willy Miniatures Necro team - lovely models, but when a st4 golem stands head and shoulders above a GW st5 mummy, it makes me seriously think long and hard about whether I'll ever buy another team from Willy again as they are just too damn big to be on the same field as 28mm models.

This time next year I imagine that the majority of new players will be using GW's new models and a lot of established players will be doing the same thing (myself included). I appreciate that a lot of the old guard may not buy the new box and some won't budge from their classic minis, but if GW does increase the scale (to 32mm for example), I doubt very much I would buy another 28mm team as they will just be too small on the field.

tl/dr: copy GW's new scale.

:)
Personally when I saw Willy's Undead minis compared to the GW ones, the size difference was obvious, but so was too was the sculpt quality. Seeing the awesome Willy Undead minis compared to the tired 90's GW sculpt just made me decide that I'd go with the Willy minis over any GW ones. The size is bigger, but I don't care too much so long as they still fit in the 29mm squares and the sizing is consistent for the team.

So personally I'll go with the minis I like best, so long as they aren't too big to fit on the pitch. That may be GW minis, Willy minis, or another 3rd party company.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Olaf the Stout wrote:So personally I'll go with the minis I like best, so long as they aren't too big to fit on the pitch. That may be GW minis, Willy minis, or another 3rd party company.
+1