Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

Post by hutchinsfairy »

dode74 wrote:
Bakunin wrote:Dont agree. Having two skills that can make a Black Orc have the same armor as an halfling is a problem.
It is objectively not a problem. If the designers choose to change it because they don't like it that's another matter.
I seem to remember someone saying that the only objective measure of broken in Blood Bowl is if GW say it is broken...

Reason: ''
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

But from your point of veiw, things seems to be changing. The Game designers (if it is true), seems to think clawpomb is a problem too.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Bakunin wrote:But from your point of veiw, things seems to be changing. The Game designers (if it is true), seems to think clawpomb is a problem too.
If you ever played WHFB or WH40K you would know how much GW games designer know (or care) about balance....

The change in Grab is incredible.... only someone with absolutely no idea about competitive play might have done that.

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

I wonder if the whole "Wants to retire" thing is supposed to provide the attrition instead of ClawPOMB. Wasn't there also talk of some sort of off-season drafting phase to leagues (Skulls & Ones podcast maybe)?

I just can't imagine that they have fitted enough high quality playtesting in to have any surety that it will work as intended. They do seem to be trying to address what are often perceived as issues (e.g. ClawPOMB and Petty Cash) but I'm increasingly alarmed at what look like narrow, clumsy fixes.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

They are using perception bias as a substitute for data......

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

Rolex wrote:They are using perception bias as a substitute for data......
You could legitimately make an argument for making changes without hard data. If they want to nerf ClawPOMB because they think it will make the game more fun or for any other subjective reason then that would be valid. My concern is that they haven't spent the time to determine the likely quantitative and qualitative effects the changes might have on the metagame.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Rolex wrote:The change in Grab is incredible.... only someone with absolutely no idea about competitive play might have done that.
I mean, Grab is improved. I'm not sure I'd call it incredible. Maybe I just have no idea about competitive play. But do you see Dwarves now taking Grab first on multiple players, before Guard? Will Elf Blitzers take Grab on a doubles? Tomb Guards taking it before MB or Guard?

The only way we'll know for sure is after thousands of games are played with the new rules. For now, I suspect Grab gets upgraded from "gimmicky skill which almost nobody takes" to "situational utility skill taken about as often as Juggernaut or Strip Ball, probably on one player per team".

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Lars Envengger wrote:I should have been more lucky on wayland games, maybe.
Given both orders placed within our club, and others I know online, I wouldn't touch Wayland with a bargepole, unless I was physically getting it from them (like at a show). They sometimes send orders out on time, sometimes they don't (even if it says "in stock") and if you enquire about it you might get a response, you might not. A club mate is still waiting for a refund for an part order he put in 6 months ago (some paint) - their site says it's in stock yet they've not sent it in 2 packages, and he asked for the balance to be refunded 3 months ago.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Bakunin wrote:If it is true that claw is being changed to CRP+ rules, than GW/Andy just got a big star in my book.
Where you getting that from, as I've not seen that said elsewhere?
Would be a big negative in my view.

[Mod hat on] Can we please NOT turn this thread into another Claw thread - if you want to discuss the merits or not of Claw there are many threads about that already. Saying where you saw this is fine, talking about the changes it might bring are not for here, so please don't. [/Mod hat on]

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

I must have missed a bit of news somewhere... what's the change to Grab?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in another thread, works on Blitz now.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43263&start=300#p767906

And can we keep the discussion of rule changes in that thread please (aimed at everyone, not just Moraiwe ;) ).

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Bakunin wrote:You still dont get it. Your opinion is not a fact. And you or the game designers dont get to choose what the objectively measures are.
The game designers get to choose the metrics. It's that simple.
Bakunin wrote:But from your point of veiw, things seems to be changing. The Game designers (if it is true), seems to think clawpomb is a problem too.
And if they choose to they can. That doesn't make it objectively broken but a preference of the designer.
hutchinsfairy wrote:I seem to remember someone saying that the only objective measure of broken in Blood Bowl is if GW say it is broken...
Not quite: they get to set the metrics or to say they do or don't like the mechanisms changing them as they will. The former allows people to make objective measurements and comparisons thereby calculating whether the objectives were achieved or not, defining the "brokenness" of the game; the latter is the whim of the designer... which is their wont. Any one of us can say we do or don't like mechanisms (and house rule them if we can convince people they would prefer it) but that does not make those mechanisms broken.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

jdmofo wrote:Anyone who was a full-on GW hater ready to let go of the hate yet?
After reading about those (for me yet unconfirmed because not seen by myself) changes to the rules, I'm rather thinking of putting the hater hat on!
If all of that really is true, I don't know if I'd play under the new rules... :blue:

stashman

Post by stashman »

Darkson wrote:
Bakunin wrote:If it is true that claw is being changed to CRP+ rules, than GW/Andy just got a big star in my book.
Where you getting that from, as I've not seen that said elsewhere?
Would be a big negative in my view.

[Mod hat on] Can we please NOT turn this thread into another Claw thread - if you want to discuss the merits or not of Claw there are many threads about that already. Saying where you saw this is fine, talking about the changes it might bring are not for here, so please don't. [/Mod hat on]
https://m.reddit.com/r/bloodbowl/commen ... t_are_the/

Biggest changes I noticed:

The wording of Claw reads '...and the result of the Armor roll is 8 or more before applying modifiers, make an Injury roll regardless of the opponents AV', which to me means Mighty Blow doesn't stack.

Grab works on Blitzes as well as Blocks

Piling On is an optional skill, and the Armor roll is not modified

For MVPs you pick 3 players and d3 to see who gets the SPP

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Errata coming out on Friday. Let's wait for that (though people won't...)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler