Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

Post by spubbbba »

Here you go

Not much to see but they look promising.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

I grew out of my GW hate, and then i realised they actually just dont make any games id like to play anymore.
BB will get my money, of that i have little doubt. GW lost me as a devoted spender many years ago and i cant see that changing ever again. However, i wont collect any game i cant solo play on my dining room table again either.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

I'm not against GW, and the store guys I know are pretty decent people. I do think the destruction of the old Warhammer world is a big shame though. But the mail thing I have 'against' GW is that they moved to plastic/resin miniatures; I like and use metal miniatures only. And when they changed their paint range I moved to Vallejo, so they've got nothing to buy for me anymore.

But I'll buy the new box anyway. :)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Never hated GW. Definitely have felt like the ungrateful bastards kicked me in the teeth and I always wished I'd get an email or something from Jervis at any point over the last 7 years that said ... "thank you for giving up 2 years of your life for my game sorry I had to let them lynch you to keep my job" .... but its like Babs said that outside of Jervis ... everyone that screwed me over at GW is gone now from what I understand.

And the Forge World guys are not the team that had BB before anyway. They are a team actually excited by what they do ... enjoyed being able to talk to them for 4 days in April when we were booth mates at Adepticon.

So I wanted to like Babs post. I remain hopefully that it gets the attention that it deserves ... but I'm also aware that the events of 2009 were put into motion by only about 3 people ... so it does not take much for this to all go belly-up with GW ... so yeah. Let's just say if I'm holding out my hand to GW ... it is with a chainmail glove and a kevlar vest.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

GalakStarscraper wrote:.... to GW ... it is with a chainmail glove and a kevlar vest.
This is wisdom ....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagicElmo »

As many here, I don't think I ever felt hatred towards GW. I just stopped caring about them (and stopped buying their stuff) when they went into a direction I didn't like.

I have to admit, that for about a year now we have seen some positive changes for GW (thanks to the new management probably).
Getting out BB without changing the rules and planning to support the game surely is one. The slight scale change is the only downside, and I can understand some people been disappointed by that.
Due to dumb luck (me coming back into BB by buying Willy Miniatures), I'm not as affected by that and so depending how GW handles BB I might actually buy my first GW products in over a decade (actually almost two decades now (man, I'm getting old :o))

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

Having just got back from Bugman's XXXXXX League Cup yesterday I have to say it was a huge amount of fun (not just because I won something!). Chatting with Andy Hoare and the other guys there gave me a huge amount of faith and confidence in what they want to achieve. No guarantees of course that some corporate suit won't throw a hand grenade in . . . . but it feels like Andy is a safe pair of hands.

A lot of what is known about the new box game has been posted everywhere so nor a lot for me to add. The only new to me bits I picked up were . . . .

1. There are 2 special play decks in the core game and likely to be one or two more added per expansion. They are a cut down version of existing decks i.e. 10 cards and not 13 cards

2. No Zara! Andy isn't a fan of Zara so she is for the chop but a new female star player is incoming in an expansion

3. There will be new teams and Chaos Pact will most likely make an appearance. However, new teams and Pact will most likely be in a later 'Chaos League' expansion which will be special rules for running a competition with various daemon teams and the like in.

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

This probably isn't the best thread Wobert, I'd put it here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42874

And let people continue arguing about ClawPOMB in here.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

Wobert wrote:Having just got back from Bugman's XXXXXX League Cup yesterday I have to say it was a huge amount of fun (not just because I won something!). Chatting with Andy Hoare and the other guys there gave me a huge amount of faith and confidence in what they want to achieve. No guarantees of course that some corporate suit won't throw a hand grenade in . . . . but it feels like Andy is a safe pair of hands.

A lot of what is known about the new box game has been posted everywhere so nor a lot for me to add. The only new to me bits I picked up were . . . .

1. There are 2 special play decks in the core game and likely to be one or two more added per expansion. They are a cut down version of existing decks i.e. 10 cards and not 13 cards

2. No Zara! Andy isn't a fan of Zara so she is for the chop but a new female star player is incoming in an expansion

3. There will be new teams and Chaos Pact will most likely make an appearance. However, new teams and Pact will most likely be in a later 'Chaos League' expansion which will be special rules for running a competition with various daemon teams and the like in.
Interesting. No changes to the CRP it is said, yet we look to have some listed above, unless star players and special play cards are not regarded as the CRP.
Returning to the topic at hand, I am very much still on the fence. I have seen how in the very recent past they have destroyed one of my favourite games (Warhammer) and are turning another (40K) into a players arms race, I have very little confidence in their rules writing etc ability these days and their ability to properly play test changes. To be really sure BB is in a safe pair of hands I would like to see a revival of the BBRC in some form with members of the BB community (who after all have kept this game going in the last few years) involved.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Interesting. The reason the Special play cards where done in sets of 13 was so that a standard playing card deck could be used for them.

So that must mean they plan to actually produce the actual cards I'm guessing. Will be interesting to see.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

GalakStarscraper wrote:So that must mean they plan to actually produce the actual cards I'm guessing. Will be interesting to see.
A (mock up?) deck was shown in some of the pics from Warhammer Fest.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

The cards in the box aren't 'new' as far as I know, I think it's just a couple of the 50k decks we already know, but they are newly printed. Everything is new for a given value of new.

They hope eventually to have all of the special play cards printed and available to buy to build a full set, because if they put a few sets of 13 into each supplement they'll be able to print and sell them for a sensible amount. Doing that will in turn allow them to do more than 13 per deck if they wish because the deck will be available to buy as a thing and will do away with the need to use a deck of playing cards.
Hopefully these sets of cards will be able to include Star Player cards as well, but that's a bit of an aim rather than a plan.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

zulu wrote:Interesting. No changes to the CRP it is said, yet we look to have some listed above, unless star players and special play cards are not regarded as the CRP.
And rosters (demons in CRP?).
Returning to the topic at hand, I am very much still on the fence. I have seen how in the very recent past they have destroyed one of my favourite games (Warhammer) and are turning another (40K) into a players arms race, I have very little confidence in their rules writing etc ability these days and their ability to properly play test changes. To be really sure BB is in a safe pair of hands I would like to see a revival of the BBRC in some form with members of the BB community (who after all have kept this game going in the last few years) involved.
Maybe someone should mention Kings of War (comercial product that some WHFB fans jumped to) and The Ninth Age (fan created rules... and fluff, again WHFB) and see the reaction. GW is not operating anymore in the "market" they thing they did. Maybe they know and it's the reason CRP was not totally thrown away, just sliced and progressively changed to make the milking more attractive.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Steam Ball wrote:Maybe they know and it's the reason CRP was not totally thrown away, just sliced and progressively changed to make the milking more attractive.
When you say "milking" it sounds like you think you're being exploited somehow. I guess where I differ from some of the more virulent anti-GW haters out there is that I accept paying for products which I want. That's how markets work. If GW makes a product good enough for me to want it, for a price I'm willing to pay, I'll buy it. It's increasingly sounding like they "get it" and intend to sell the new boxed set on its own merits. If it's shoddy though, or too expensive, I'll leave it on the shelf.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Star cards that were on display:

Some other cards: