How to deal with Heavy Losses in a League game

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

pinkskink
Rookie
Rookie

How to deal with Heavy Losses in a League game

Post by pinkskink »

Im about to get my own league stated within a few weeks. A few of my players are playing some re-fresher games and an issue came up in one of these "pre-season" games.

Player 2 took some heavy, heavy losses (it was chaos dwarves funnily enough). Player 1's dice where just on fire. If this was a league game, Player 2 would've had 3 hobgoblins and 1 Lineman left. What have league commissioners done in the past to compensate the player(s) who have to deal with these loses. Sure that player could easily re-roll if it was game one. What about game 8?

Also, does the rulebook address anything about coaches firing players when their roster is already under 11 players before the firing occurs?

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: How to deal with Heavy Losses in a League game

Post by lunchmoney »

When my league was running we allowed two pre-season friendlies to be played each. In these matches each team was given a free wandering apothecary. This helped to mitigate a bit of damage whilst allowing the teams to get a little bit built up. After those two matches, though, it was back to basics and all is fair in love & Blood Bowl :)

*We started this to give rookie teams a small boost when entering a league with established big teams.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

pinkskink wrote:Also, does the rulebook address anything about coaches firing players when their roster is already under 11 players before the firing occurs?
Nope, the only rules is a team must have 11 players at creation - after that the coach can do what they like.

As for the main question, I think it comes down to your players (and you know them better than anyone here) - will they keep playing on through the vageries of the dice, or will they quit if the going gets tough (painful recent memories here)? If they'll play on, play to the rules. If you fear they'll quit then perhaps allow "friendlies" between league games, and limit them to BH only (allows coaches to get their MNG players back).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Why not simply make all pre-season matches rez?

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

I would have let him restart his team, it the TV-gap is boringly large with some extra cash, otherwise not.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Restart or new team, however, if he's played the max number of pre season friendlies he doesn't get more.....

Sorry, whilst I agree it's ok for a restart ( especially if he's a player who may quit if he's taken that much of a beating, most of my league would play on I hope) theres shouldn't be an infinite number of friendlies, and losing matches & players must have consequences....

That said, all respect to the guy (gal?) who destroyed a CD team.... What was he using the new GW "Teminator marines" roster?? :lol:

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

pinkskink wrote:Sure that player could easily re-roll if it was game one. What about game 8?
Guys, he wasn't asking about the pre-season games.
He wanted to know how you guys handle this if it occurs after a couple of games with the season getting closer to the finals.

To be honest, I never had that problem in any of my leagues.
I guess, my advice would have been to shrug it off, play the rest of the season with Journeymen, as written in the rulebook, and start a fresh team next season.

Everything else feels kind of unfair for the other players in the league.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Regash wrote: I guess, my advice would have been to shrug it off, play the rest of the season with Journeymen, as written in the rulebook, and start a fresh team next season.

Everything else feels kind of unfair for the other players in the league.
This.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Yeah, in most leagues that I've played in, a player has the right to start over with a fresh TV1000 team if he gets too beat up.

But I've almost never actually seen that happen. I can remember once - a High Elf player was down to something like 7 linemen after week 3 or 4, with nearly no SPP. I considered it on my Goblins when a troll died in game 1 and two weapons were SI. But I just spent a bunch of inducements and got over it.

It does suck. Some people laugh and pretend it's funny (and after a while it is), but it really does suck to be the guy losing a game, knowing you're already down four players for the next game and dreading every armor roll on top of that.
The only big no-no in my opinion is changing the rules in the middle of a season. If your rule is that coaches suck it up and take losses, suck it up.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

Darkson wrote:As for the main question, I think it comes down to your players (and you know them better than anyone here) - will they keep playing on through the vageries of the dice, or will they quit if the going gets tough (painful recent memories here)? If they'll play on, play to the rules. If you fear they'll quit then perhaps allow "friendlies" between league games, and limit them to BH only (allows coaches to get their MNG players back).
+1

If you think the players want some safety net (fear they will quit), I suggest allowing a team to restart mid-season. They will still be behind everyone else, but they don't have to feel completely screwed.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Allow restarts with a points penalty. The penalty should be large enough that making the finals is very unlikely.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Is this league on a fixed schedule? Otherwise, use the league challenges section and let the lowest tv make the first challenges each session .... Use a restart, or journeymen, at the effected coach's option ...

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

Our league has the restart with a 1 million gold coin team of the same race after any game if required. We have had one team in each of the two seasons do so. This was after first or second games. Rules say they could do the same after game 8 but no one has done thus yet. Team gets to keep any points it has earnt

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/