Using Commissioned Painting Services or DIY?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Re: Using Commissioned Painting Services or DIY?

Post by JT-Y »

People try it though nonetheless.

I think we can all agree that it is just not on to try and win a painting trophy with something you paid someone else to paint or something you bought from a painter who wanted to sell it on. And any argument that you only want the trophy to recognise the painters work doesn't work on me either. If the painter wants to win trophies they'll enter something personally.

Reason: ''

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Regash

Post by Regash »

Maybe switch from 'best painted' to 'best painter'?
Best painted doesn't necessarily say you've got to paint them by yourself...

Of course, idiots won't be stopped by this but it would make the intention more obvious?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Not sure how much more obvious than "painted by you" you need to be.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Yeah, the only upside is that, for the price of a trophy, you exposed a cheater and poor sport. Still sucks though.

But for me, this is a strike against cheaters, not against pro painters, or the coaches who hire them.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Funny enough, about 3 years ago, my wife painted a "battle tech" mech for a guy that played in our league.

The figure was very nicely painted and the base had a scale tree and nice flocking. really good work.

This guy, I won't call him a friend, had a FOW get togeather at his place, and I went. While getting a tour of his gaming room, what do I see on the wall?

A plaque, and award for winning "best painted sci fi miniature" at a new jersey gaming convention. Now, this guy had my wife paint all his blood bowl figures, some weird war 2 stuff, and the battle tech figure as mentioned above.

I asked the guy how he won , well, anything as he does'nt paint?

Know what he says? "(WITH A STUPID HAVE ASSED GRIN) well, I entered that battle tech figure your wife painted. It won first place in the sci fi catagory...

I said "then you have no problem with me taking this and giving it to her, right? Of course he would'nt give the plaque to me to give to her.

Every time he emails our league secretary, He gets told to do right, and then he can play with our group.

Rick Sanchez lives!
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

bound for glory wrote:Funny enough, about 3 years ago, my wife painted a "battle tech" mech for a guy that played in our league.

The figure was very nicely painted and the base had a scale tree and nice flocking. really good work.

This guy, I won't call him a friend, had a FOW get togeather at his place, and I went. While getting a tour of his gaming room, what do I see on the wall?

A plaque, and award for winning "best painted sci fi miniature" at a new jersey gaming convention. Now, this guy had my wife paint all his blood bowl figures, some weird war 2 stuff, and the battle tech figure as mentioned above.

I asked the guy how he won , well, anything as he does'nt paint?

Know what he says? "(WITH A STUPID HAVE ASSED GRIN) well, I entered that battle tech figure your wife painted. It won first place in the sci fi catagory...

I said "then you have no problem with me taking this and giving it to her, right? Of course he would'nt give the plaque to me to give to her.

Every time he emails our league secretary, He gets told to do right, and then he can play with our group.
I don't get how someone could do that and take pride in it. What's the point of having an award for something you didn't do?

Good job on your league secretary. Personally I would have emailed the con about it as well. They likely wouldn't have done anything about it though.

Rayphoton
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rayphoton »

I feel the need to add..

I paint..I'm good at painting....I enjoy painting....

I too have sometimes used a commissioner cause while I'm good ..they are better..and sometime I want one team to REALLY look good. Hence my chaos team painted by Axia. (and if anyone ask about them I tell them straight up this was painted by Axia cause...you know...integrity.)

I do this cause I'm also slow. so..yeah you can be a painter and love the hobby...and still sometimes just want a better product to field...and there's nothing wrong with that either. We all play our own game. One guy in our league has a undead team of legos. That's great. I'm glad he has a team. I'm not going to give hm grief cause that how he plays and how he enjoys the game.

I hold my self to a higher standard of what I'll put on the board...but if some one looks at my opponent and tells them there minis aren't good enough..or they shouldn't use a service..I'll tell them they can go ~insert foul word here~ themselves. This is a game..not our job. Painting takess time and desire...not everyone has that.

My 2 cents and a 3 dollars will but you a cup of coffee....

Regash

Post by Regash »

Olaf the Stout wrote:What's the point of having an award for something you didn't do?
Well, in some cases this is absolutely normal. Take, for instance, car shows.
Most of the time, old cars or hot rods are built by professionals but the awards always go to the owner of the car who did nothing but pay the bills.
I've seen builders credited but that is not always the case.

Strange, how we think it unfair with miniatures when it's normal for car shows...

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

You need to stop using nonsense examples to justify bad behaviour by a rare few I reckon. Almost seems like you're looking for an argument by taking an outrageous perspective.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

JT-Y wrote:You need to stop using nonsense examples to justify bad behaviour by a rare few I reckon. Almost seems like you're looking for an argument by taking an outrageous perspective.
But that's the thing... It's clearly not outrageous to some. I would be ashamed to win a painting award for a team I didn't paint, but at least once, I've heard people encourage a coach to enter a team even after he said he didn't paint it, the argument being "well the award is for the best painted team."

I think they just wanted to see a lot of teams on the stand to vote on, but I'd definitely think it was unfair to win with a team I didn't paint. But then, I don't even think it's right to enter a team for a painting award more than once--I enter my team at the first tournament I play it in, then it's retired (from paint awards, I let the team keep losing on the field)...

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Regash

Post by Regash »

JT-Y wrote:You need to stop using nonsense examples
Where is the nonsense here?
You're being awarded for something that you paid other people to do.

But since only your opinion seems to count, I'll leave it at that...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

While your example might be sound, I specifically said that in my case it was made clear "painted by you", as have most painting competitions at BB events I've been to (i do recall one where they did say it was "best team", regardless of where it came from, but that was the oddity).

In terms of your example that would be entering a kit-car you got the manufacturers to build into a self-built kit-car competition.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

JT-Y wrote:I can honestly say that there are many painters out there whose work I admire enough that I would commission them to paint a team for me and that I'd proud to own it and use it, and would probably take more care of it than I do any of my own work.
Yeah but you can paint TBH

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I'll admit I entered a team I didn't paint myself at my first tournament. I did not win. It was painted by my wife and I think everyone at the tournament knew that. The TO argued along the lines of if we were one in the eyes of God . . .
I think I have seen the same TO allow teams to be entered that the owner didn't paint at other tournaments also. But if he did, it was because the painter was actually at the tournament. The prize would have gone to the painter not the owner.

I'm mostly in the same boat as Mikey. I don't really like painting. But I'm a cheap bastard and won't pay someone else. I think I'm pretty good, but in three years I've only had one figure that I claimed was finished. A few teams meet tournament requirements, but are far from meeting my requirements for done. If I wasn't stingy I would do all the conversions and then pay someone else to paint it all.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Here's a question, what about entering a team into best painted that you painted but someone else is using at the tournament?

Another interesting point Dan brought up in the earlier discussion was how much you'd have to change the rules of Blood Bowl before it becomes a different game? Most tournaments have house rules so are not 100% vanilla, as do many leagues but we'd still call them Blood Bowl.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.