Gutter Runners get new skill in new edition...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Gutter Runners get new skill in new edition...

Post by mikeyc222 »

i think it's a little WTF, but on a gutter runner, i doubt that it will come into play much at all. how often are gutter runners getting casualties in non-fumbbl leagues?

Reason: ''
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Think about how often people get quite angry/upset about T16 fouling. Usually they claim it's because it has no effect on the current game and does nothing but reduce enjoyment for the player being fouled. Now consider how similar that is to trying to turn a BH into something worse.

This is simply a terrible rule which will cause much angst.

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

mikeyc222 wrote:i think it's a little WTF, but on a gutter runner, i doubt that it will come into play much at all. how often are gutter runners getting casualties in non-fumbbl leagues?
far too much logic!

seriously though, someone run the numbers on this. There's no way this will affect anything other than one or two players per league season and even then, there's still a 50/50 chance it rolls BH again and you can then use your Apo, right? anyone building a killer gutter runner to literally troll other folks in a face to face environment or closed league online isnt someone you need in that group. I dont like where the skill came from (to fit a mini rather than the other way round) but im fairly certain it will have little to no effect in the long run

point about tomb guardians is a strong one though

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

Kaiowas wrote:
mikeyc222 wrote:i think it's a little WTF, but on a gutter runner, i doubt that it will come into play much at all. how often are gutter runners getting casualties in non-fumbbl leagues?
far too much logic!
i have been accused of that on occasion. :)

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Seems and odd skill don't quite see how it fits in, but much like the human catcher change I cant see it really making much difference.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

If a gutter runner injures a tomb guardian, they deserve whatever they get :-)

Plucky little guy!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Moraiwe wrote:Think about how often people get quite angry/upset about T16 fouling. Usually they claim it's because it has no effect on the current game and does nothing but reduce enjoyment for the player being fouled. Now consider how similar that is to trying to turn a BH into something worse.
This^

Its not that it is a broken rule ... it is not that it will come up that often.

It is more that they took the time and effort to add complexity to the game for a new skill that has the only purpose is to allow you to try to damage your opponent's roster. Has no effect on the current game ... its just a skill that allows what many will feel is unsportsmanlike conduct. It is a really poorly designed rule that adds no fun to the game ... that is why it is concerning.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:It will make very little difference - how often are the GRs the players to get CAS on a Skaven team?
I dunno, my GRs used to get lot of Cas when people skulled out on them (they were blessed by being indestructible when attacked and cursed by being unable to dodge :lol: ).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I don't listen to podcasts so I may be missing something in the context but I don't understand the Piling On line? Surely its always been optional in a league as the Commissioner can change any rule?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Darkson wrote:I don't listen to podcasts so I may be missing something in the context but I don't understand the Piling On line? Surely its always been optional in a league as the Commissioner can change any rule?
You are right. I think something being listed as an optional rule is as a hint from the rulemakers to the commissioner where to tweak the rules first if want to take their leagues in different directions. As a commissioner it is probably easier to rationalize tweaks and to get them supported by the league if they are listed as optional rules by those who wrote the rules.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

That is my approach..

a friend suggested that the Weeping Blades rule may allow you to force your opponent to use their apothecary earlier in the game, but I am just going to house rule it out for the foreseeable

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

sirsebstar wrote:rerolling a BH?
wtf
okay, so the combo MB/PO+claw is jut broken, but once a player is BH he cant get hurt anymore.
this skill is just there to annoy other coaches...
it might have made sense in an undead team where you can get a zombie on a dead, but on skaven.
thats a very big FU to opposing coaches.
am i alone in this?
No it is a totally bad idea

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I do worry about what other "miniature driven rules" might be added.
Andy Hoare (or James Hewitt, I forget which) said there has/had been playtesting, but I wonder at it's quality if it meant that one of the better races got a unneeded (though small) boost.

Regardless, I'll just do what a commish can do and ignore it.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Unless you injury an star player in your league, I dont see it being used that much in a league. On minor players, you want to roll BHs so your opponent dont use his/her APO. On Regen players it may force your opponent to get the next round of beer :orc:

But in Res Tourneys, its better, because you never want your opponent to use his APO, you want him wating for the next BH or KO.

Than again its a GR. Its fine.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

GalakStarscraper wrote:It is more that they took the time and effort to add complexity to the game for a new skill that has the only purpose is to allow you to try to damage your opponent's roster. Has no effect on the current game ... its just a skill that allows what many will feel is unsportsmanlike conduct. It is a really poorly designed rule that adds no fun to the game ... that is why it is concerning.
...and I think the concerning aspect is two-fold: that they keep changing rosters to better match up with the minis that get printed (!!), and that when faced with gutter runners having daggers on the model their go-to solution wasn't to give them Stab, it was to invent an entirely new skill and throw that into the mix.

This tells me that the guys behind the new BB are actually chomping at the bit to get in and change things, and that sticking close to the CRP was likely not their first choice, and won't be their go-to philosophy in the days to come.