Gutter Runners get new skill in new edition...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

king_ghidra
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Gutter Runners get new skill in new edition...

Post by king_ghidra »

The Deathzone description on the pre-order page contains a new thing I haven't seen mentioned: a new star player, Guffle Pusmaw.

Reason: ''
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

JT-Y wrote: Description of the rule clearly states it can only be used in league play.
Quite a silly rule then; considering in league play you are more likely to actually want a BH result as the apo then is less likely to be used. In tournament play it is the other way around, you would hope for MNG or worse so that the apo is less likely to be used.

Very minor stuff, obviosuly, but it does seem the designers haven`t thought that one through properly.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

i dont think it breaks the game but it dose give purpose the the knife, just a small tweek from GW, I think they probaly did think about it though :)

unless im missing something

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
nightwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nightwing »

king_ghidra wrote:The Deathzone description on the pre-order page contains a new thing I haven't seen mentioned: a new star player, Guffle Pusmaw.
I noticed that too- sounds like a Nurgle one, but suggests there might be a few new stars snuck in. Here's hoping they are balanced!

Scrumpy Scramble (2017), Foul Bowl 2016, SAWBBowl 2017- International Glowworm Award
Auld World Masters 2017- Most Casualties
Chimera Cup 2017- Most Touchdowns
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Bakunin wrote:Have you seen the rule Description?
Yes.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

nightwing wrote:
king_ghidra wrote:The Deathzone description on the pre-order page contains a new thing I haven't seen mentioned: a new star player, Guffle Pusmaw.
I noticed that too- sounds like a Nurgle one, but suggests there might be a few new stars snuck in. Here's hoping they are balanced!
I hope there are more too, not really fussed if they are balanced or not though :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The NAF has sought clarification on the Weeping Daggers skill, and the wording will be as follow: "if the result is Badly Hurt after any rerolls, then roll a d6, and on a 4+ the player misses the next game. If you are not playing a league, the skill has no effect". We will be keeping http://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/new-box-news/ up to date as information comes in over the next 2 weeks.
So a skill that has no effect on the current game, has no benefit for the Skaven player and just decreases the enjoyment of the opponent for the next game.
And admittedly added because "the model has blades".
Not a good rule, not a good sign.

Just no.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Scrappa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scrappa »

Darkson wrote:
The NAF has sought clarification on the Weeping Daggers skill, and the wording will be as follow: "if the result is Badly Hurt after any rerolls, then roll a d6, and on a 4+ the player misses the next game. If you are not playing a league, the skill has no effect". We will be keeping http://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/new-box-news/ up to date as information comes in over the next 2 weeks.
So a skill that has no effect on the current game, has no benefit for the Skaven player and just decreases the enjoyment of the opponent for the next game.
And admittedly added because "the model has blades".
Not a good rule, not a good sign.

Just no.
1) He doesn't have to use it.
2) The threat of using it could alter your gameplay in leagues. Do you want to risk your best guy on his gutter runner knowing that triple skulls is an option and he has a higher chance of being knocked out next game?
3) It is a tactical choice on the part of the Skaven. In a league, you might want to handicap the number 1 team for his next game while not wanting to against a lesser ranked team.

If I played Skaven(Rather than Goblins), I would definitely use the threat of it to give people pause in leagues from doing what you always do against Skaven - Wipe out their gutter runners.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Like the T16 foul, basically. In itself it's not a problem. But the worriers are worrying about the general concept of making up a skill to fit a model, in essence.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

sann0638 wrote:Like the T16 foul, basically. In itself it's not a problem. But the worriers are worrying about the general concept of making up a skill to fit a model, in essence.
Having worked on a project where the model had primacy I have to say it's not a good sign.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

sann0638 wrote:Like the T16 foul, basically. In itself it's not a problem. But the worriers are worrying about the general concept of making up a skill to fit a model, in essence.
There's that, but also as I said on FB:
"Given that one of JJ's goals with the LRBs, especially with LRB5&6 was to remove rules had no real benefit, and impacted a coach's enjoyment for future games (such as removing the 3rd ed cards) this seems a step backwards and a dangerous precedent, even if the rule itself is a minor one."

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Well, I'm glad that it doesn't have the ability to reroll into a perm or a kill.
Those are after all harsher than an MNG.
Still, it is weird to have a skill that does nothing in the current game. Kind if why I hate decay too... But at least decay doesn't cause bad blood.

If they wanted a marginal effect for the current game, they could have gone with: A player BH'd by a weeping blade can not be treated by the team apothecary.
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
garyt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garyt »

plasmoid wrote:If they wanted a marginal effect for the current game, they could have gone with: A player BH'd by a weeping blade can not be treated by the team apothecary.
Cheers
Martin
That would be a slightly bigger effect. The cas reroll may do nothing while normally an apo can automatically fix a badly hurt. Not that GRs do many cas.
I don't think it would cause bad blood though and in a league it makes sense if someone wants to weaken their opposition in their next game (perhaps depending on their league position).

Scrappa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scrappa »

So I have to ask... What is the TR16 foul?

Is it when you have 16 players and go crazy with fouls, or is it when your opponent has 16 players and you are fouling them even knowing it won't make a difference to their numbers but will just kill them?

[Edit - not to derail the thread, it's a Turn 16 foul, especially one where your opponent has already had their last turn. - Darkson]

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

plasmoid wrote:A player BH'd by a weeping blade can not be treated by the team apothecary.
Not a fan of rule bloat ... but that I would have actually been fine with!

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers