BB2016 - No Petty Cash Rule - Wins from treasury?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

BB2016 - No Petty Cash Rule - Wins from treasury?

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
it seems to me that with the Petty Cash rule gone, and the rewording of the inducement phase (which I've read quite a few times by now) that you get to induce from your treasury without increasing your Team Value.
So, if you have the Cash for a Star Player or Wizard (when they return) in your treasury, then you just get that advantage at no penalty.

That's the same rule Cyanide used in the BB2 World Cup - and it was wizards galore. Ugh.

Am I missing something here?
Cheers
Martin

Reason: ''
Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: BB2016 - No Petty Cash Rule - Wins from treasury?

Post by stashman »

Cool Rule! :-)

Easy calculating

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Agreed, it's woolly at best: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43263&p=768261#p768261

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

plasmoid wrote:.... and it was wizards galore. Ugh.

No wizards anymore ;) :lol:

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

plasmoid wrote:Hi all,
it seems to me that with the Petty Cash rule gone, and the rewording of the inducement phase (which I've read quite a few times by now) that you get to induce from your treasury without increasing your Team Value.
So, if you have the Cash for a Star Player or Wizard (when they return) in your treasury, then you just get that advantage at no penalty.

That's the same rule Cyanide used in the BB2 World Cup - and it was wizards galore. Ugh.

Cheers
Martin
seems slanted towards winning teams which is exactly what inducements are supposed to to reign in a little

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I realize what it looks like.

However ... the more I look at this as a package ... the more I do not have issues with it.

If you accept these rules as the new rules ... than Expensive Mistakes and Re-Drafting mean there are serious needs for your cash. So if as an overdog you want to use some of that money for a match ... go ahead.

The old Petty Cash system was a train wreck nightmare. This system is simple and elegant. You could easily get a situation in matches where the overdog becomes the underdog if the underdog spends more treasury than the overdog did.

So I know it looks bad on the surface ... but I'm actually okay with this as part of the entire package of league changes.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I realize what it looks like.

However ... the more I look at this as a package ... the more I do not have issues with it.

If you accept these rules as the new rules ... than Expensive Mistakes and Re-Drafting mean there are serious needs for your cash. So if as an overdog you want to use some of that money for a match ... go ahead.

The old Petty Cash system was a train wreck nightmare. This system is simple and elegant. You could easily get a situation in matches where the overdog becomes the underdog if the underdog spends more treasury than the overdog did.

So I know it looks bad on the surface ... but I'm actually okay with this as part of the entire package of league changes.
I know where you are leaning with this and it makes sense to me but say a league final comes down to two teams and one doesn't intend to return the next season so goes all in on inducements. Yes, ok his team isn't making it back in to the league next year so he's paying the price that way, but that may takes away his opponents chance to a fair shot at a championship perhaps?

I've always agreed that cash isn't worth anything (or very little) in these types of games when it gets rolling and yes this gives it a value and makes you make difficult decisions (which is something I like in games)

I guess the rules on expensive mistakes should limit this too a bit but not compensating inducements just seems like it could spoil your 2 hours playing before you roll a dice. Over the course of a league it might even itself out but each individual game should be worth playing (at least until you get two RIPs in T1)

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

To me it's a huge deal.
LRB6/CRP tried to refine the TV system and make matches fair(er).
Letting either player plop down (say) 200K runs completely counter to this.

IMO, expensive mistakes does nothing to counter this. If anything, it encourages coaches to burn Cash rather than lose it to an Expensive Mistake.
Cheers
Martin

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

plasmoid wrote:To me it's a huge deal.

IMO, expensive mistakes does nothing to counter this. If anything, it encourages coaches to burn Cash rather than lose it to an Expensive Mistake.
Cheers
Martin
Yes, so a team with nothing to lose can put themselves in pole position in a play off run by burning cash willy nilly. I'm not sure that such a team would be able to do so and compete the year after as they probably couldn't rehire the squad to a high enough degree.

I take Tom's point that it shouldn't be in isolation but if such a feature as inducements exist, then surely they should be there to level the field, not level it only for you to tip 250k gold on the scale once more before you get to go out and play

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

plasmoid wrote:To me it's a huge deal.

Cheers
Martin
If you are going to use the new Inducement system ... it needs to be done with the re-drafting as well. If you make it so that spending cash means you'll have less to keep you team ... you make it a tactical decision.

Star Players and Mercenaries are banned from play-off games in the rules already.

So will disagree ... I do not see this as a problem if you are using the full new rules.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

GalakStarscraper wrote:If you are going to use the new Inducement system ... it needs to be done with the re-drafting as well. If you make it so that spending cash means you'll have less to keep you team ... you make it a tactical decision.
This is my view too. Cash is a resource and both teams will reach the final both have the chance to spend treasury to win. Sure one player might have more but equally I might have just taken 3 MNGs in the semi-final and not have a team in great shape.

At best a player might win 90k in the semi-final with 190k treasury giving them a 50% chance of having 280k at the start of the final? If they had risked it in the semi's as well they might make 300k for the final? If that is the tactical route people want to take then I am happy for them to do so.
GalakStarscraper wrote:Star Players and Mercenaries are banned from play-off games in the rules already.
Assuming Wizards are back in Season II I could see adding them to the banned list in play-off matches.

Given you win 100k extra for the Final I can see myself spending at least that much from Treasury to gamble on winning. Babes, Bribe, Apo or even more cards depending on the teams involved. With the new system in full there is already a "draw 3 keep 2" on cards and with only 10 in a deck so an extra 200k for more chances to pull cards like Rakarth's Curse, Kid Gloves or Magic Sponge could be worth it.

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

But, there are petty cash. Under inducements it says that the lower team get the TV difference to spend for that game

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Either way, unless wizards are heavily nerfed when they return, I worry what inducing a wizard with Cash will do to balance in key games.
Lots of Leagues restart with new teams each season.
Others will let some teams restart and others redraft.
Nobody will want to play their team forever, so there'll be plenty of chances to screw your opponent with cash.
Case in point, the wizard-fest that was BB2 World cup.

I remember past editions where freeboiters would only contribute half the Team Rating - wizards rocker back then too.

That said - I like expensive mistakes and redrafting (on paper - will be interesting to see them in action)

Cheers
Martin

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Pedda - yes, underdog does get the TV diff in cash.
What you don't get is a Petty Cash/recalculation phase, so any actual Cash spent does not Enter into the calculation.

I.e 1450 TV team faces TV1500 team.
Compare TV and underdog gets 50K for inducements.
Then either side can burn as much Cash on inducements as they want at no penalty.

Cheers
Martin

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Given that they are powerful and now can be purchased by the overdog .... I'm fine if they come back as say a 250k inducement? It can stop a scoring drive so it should have a serious price tag.