Re-Drafting at season end

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Re-Drafting at season end

Post by Marlow »

plasmoid wrote:I'll have to re-read the drafting rules. On first read I didn't think you could use Cash from Treasury - just the "magic rebuy cash"...
Are you sure Treasury Cash is allowed?
Yes. Second line says "returning teams then add anything they had left in their Treasury from previous seaons".
Milo wrote: I see your point. I plan to run some numbers on past teams of mine and see what it would have resulted in. On the other hand, stashing money for the offseason would make it unavailable to you for the current season.

My point was that leagues and commissioners who DON'T want this can easily tweak the format to suit themselves. They provided a framework, but it doesn't need to be adhered to rigidly by the various different leagues.
Also the new rules let you play Friendly games that count for the total League games playered during the season. You do not get an MVP and earn D3 not D6 Gold for the match but the totals (+1 game played, any Cas, TD) count for your redraft budget.

You may not want teams developing outside of Competative League matches but it is an option in the rules especailly as something for teams not in the play-offs to do in the last couple of weeks of a Season.

Reason: ''
Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

plasmoid wrote:I'll have to re-read the drafting rules. On first read I didn't think you could use Cash from Treasury - just the "magic rebuy cash"...
Are you sure Treasury Cash is allowed?
Yes definitely is allowed

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Cool. Then I do see the added need for hanging onto Cash.
And I do see the tactical decision in "keep it for next season or not".

What I don't see is the tactical decision if this is the teams last season (for whatever reason). Then it just becomes a case of big treasury = big advantage.
And if one team intends to go on and the other not, then I think the team that intends to keep going is really getting screwed.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

plasmoid wrote:What I don't see is the tactical decision if this is the teams last season (for whatever reason). Then it just becomes a case of big treasury = big advantage.
And if one team intends to go on and the other not, then I think the team that intends to keep going is really getting screwed.

Cheers
Martin
Then next season will be the other teams turn. OR ... it will be a story of league legend that he won despite that. The stories carry.

Also ... if you just dump treasury to win ... vs your opponent ... your victory gets a star next to it when talked about. "Jim won ... but he spent 700k on inducements since he knew he was retiring the team ... git".

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Galak,
in the vast majority of Leagues I've played in, everybody has restarted after one season.
Because in tabletop play, we get tired of our teams and want to try something else.
New season = new team for everone.
IMO, that's the Classic TT League - 8(?) guys get together, play some round-robin and a championship game, then move on.
I'm worried that in those very common Leagues, the League finals will be won by the guy with the Cash advantage.
In that situation I don't see the sense in not using your Cash. You absolutely would. And I don't think anyone could fault you for doing so. It's just the rules. And (IMO) it would be damn shame if the final match of the season was massively lopsided.
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Galak,
in the vast majority of Leagues I've played in, everybody has restarted after one season.
Because in tabletop play, we get tired of our teams and want to try something else.
IMO, that's the Classic TT League - 8(?) guys get together, play some round-robin and a championship game, then move on.
I'm worried that in those very common Leagues, the League finals will be won by the guy with the Cash advantage.
In that situation I don't see the sense in not using your Cash. You absolutely would. And I don't think anyone could fault you for doing so. It's just the rules. And (IMO) it would be damn shame if the final match of the season was massively lopsided.
Cheers
Martin
But how much of a cash advantage is a team going to build up over 8 games, especially with Expensive Mistakes? Also, if one team has a cash advantage, then maybe they played for it by not buying positionals when they could have or by protecting key players when they might otherwise have gone for more touchdowns.

I feel like it adds another layer of tactics to the game and makes treasury relevant again. It may well add some more chance to the game but I can't see that this is a significant lurch towards random.

Scrappa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scrappa »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Galak,
Cheers
Martin

Mmmmmaybe. I could see a single person getting an agility 5 Wardancer and that being difficult to take out(If you don't have a chainsaw or a lot of tacklers).

Side effects of this I could see:

Elven teams are highly affected by this. They get SPP really quickly.

Beat-em-up teams become more effective as they only need 1 nasty blitzer and a few people with block and guard to really make their front line shine.

I don't really see it affecting my gobbos so much, since our TV is pretty spectacular, but I -do- think it means that I will have enough money to buy an awesome stadium literally every season.

TomB
Rookie
Rookie

Re-Drafting at season end

Post by TomB »

I like the idea of this, it seems a fair way to balance experienced and begginer teams, and at the same time letting people keep their favourite players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

I see that turn 16 fouls will be a standard thing now, since you get 5k for each cas at season end. But if it on linemen, who cares they dont have any skills anyway with the new mvp.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Bakunin wrote:I see that turn 16 fouls will be a standard thing now, since you get 5k for each cas at season end. But if it on linemen, who cares they dont have any skills anyway with the new mvp.
Fouls do not give CAS so this is not a concern.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Fouls do not give CAS so this is not a concern.
They don't give SPP, but they do cause cas, surely?

Edit: the SPP section states "Casualties inflicted in any other way including fouls...", which suggests a foul can cause a cas.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Argh ... my response got internet eaten.

Okay short version for the 2nd attempt.

While page 19 and 21 have different definition of Casualty ... it is way obvious on this one intent (as the team roster records only SPP CAS (not any other type). Could it use an Errata or FAQ ... yes ... but there is 0% question to me that the definition for re-drafting is page 21 NOT 19.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

If page 21 is the SPP section them it specifically states fouls can cause casualties but you get no SPP for them. While the intent may well be as you say, as written it works otherwise. The league roster may only list SPP cas for players, but there is a team cas section at the bottom which could record all cas.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

T16 fouls encouraged (and actually good for your team), a skill to turn BH to MNG - what else do they want to add to turn people towards one-off games? :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

dode74 wrote:If page 21 is the SPP section them it specifically states fouls can cause casualties but you get no SPP for them. While the intent may well be as you say, as written it works otherwise. The league roster may only list SPP cas for players, but there is a team cas section at the bottom which could record all cas.
We can add this to the pile of questions ... I'd bet money that Foul CAS do NOT count towards re-drafting.