Questions for a Q&A about the new rules - please contribute

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Questions for a Q&A about the new rules - please contrib

Post by Dark Duke »

celticgriffon wrote:I also saw the post on FB. It is good to see our feedback and experience is filtering through to the correct people.
In which Facebook page did you see that post? I couldn't find it on the official Blood Bowl page. Thanks in advance for the help!

Reason: ''
Life is short, block fast.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It was a post by Andy Hoare on the "Blood Bowl Community" page yesterday - I would say scroll down the page, but the stupid way Facebook displays stuff it could be anywhere.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Re:

Post by Milo »

hutchinsfairy wrote:My reading of the rules was that a bribe takes place before being sent off whereas the atc happens after. I don't have them in front of me though.
Actually, they happen at the same time. Both of them have identical wording:

DZ, p38: If you have a suitable miniature representing your Head Coach, you can argue the call when one of your players is sent off for committing a foul or using a Secret Weapon.

DZ, p28: Each Bribe allows you to attempt to ignore the call when one of your players is sent off for committing a foul or using a Secret Weapon.

I would allow a coach to perform these two separate actions in whichever order he chooses, since they both trigger off the same event and nothing specifies priority or exclusivity. In general, I'd argue the call first and use a Bribe in the likely situation that it fails, as it is technically possible to Argue The Call twice or more in one game.

Milo

Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dark Duke »

Thanks a lot!

Life is short, block fast.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

A new FAQ from GW will be out in the next week or so.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

*In between seasons:

Do players that want to retire, still want to when a new season begins. Or do you roll for retire at each season?

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Do you argue the call or roll for bribes first?

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Bakunin wrote:Do you argue the call or roll for bribes first?
Up to you.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

...and updated as well as sent to Andy Hoare directly.

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

OK - I've been in touch with Andy Hoare. He personally asked me to pass on his thanks for developing the questions to the new rules and for all your comments - he has been 'lurking' (in a skim read kind of way).

He has said that James is going to be collating the questions we've asked and will be answering them officially. Mike Davies separately told me that there will be another Q&A coming out in about a week (see page 4 of this thread) so perhaps these questions will be in that?

However, here's some of what we've discussed. He's okayed me sharing this. Quotations are from me.

a) I do think there's some rule bloat you need to be mindful of. For example, Guffle Pusmaw could have easily been given Sure Hands and Catch - and perhaps one line about his prehensile tongue helps him pick up the ball, and his enormous mouth helps him keep it! (Net gain is less rules and effectively the same skill set). Weeping Dagger - well, you know what the old timers like me think, so I don't need to repeat it.

AH> Yup, we’re keeping eye on it. We feel the rules canon can take a little expansion but where that crosses the line and becomes ‘bloat’ is a matter of taste!

c) Release schedule. I know this is something to which you're bound by practicalities, but be aware that the initial enthusiasm for the game will need to transfer to people playing leagues quickly. Humans, Orcs and Skaven make a pretty thin set of options for a league right now. I think the key point is getting some key teams and stars (such as the 'big guys') out soon, to support league play getting up and running in stores.

AH>We’re doing what we can as fast as we can! J

d) Artwork. I understand a number of things you've done - such as avoided writing in English anywhere on the board / dugout / pass ruler etc. to avoid having to make different versions in different languages. This is intelligent design. I also get budget restrictions, but I do think the new rulebooks are less entertaining with less images. Compare your final version with LRB 5 (easily downloaded on the internet) and you'll see what I mean. I was encouraged to see Pete Knifton's Deathroller image in Deathzone Season 1, for example. I also don't think any old timers will mind old artwork being recycled, as it is so very cool! I also like how you're recycling some Did You Know's into the White Dwarf Spike Magazine articles.

AH> Agreed, and the style is developing more with each supplement we produce.

Wood Elf Roster:
Is the cost of Wood Elf Linemen meant to be 70,000?

AH> Yup, as per the errata.

Skaven Roster:
Was the Rat Ogre meant to be left off in the team list included with the Skavenblight Scramblers? If so, which is correct - that in the boxed set, or that in Deathzone Season One?

AH> As explained in the box, the roster is a pre-built 1m gp team so the contents can be used even if the player doesn’t own Death Zone Season 1. The box doesn’t include a Rat Ogre so neither does the roster!

Rulebook:
* Do you plan to collate all the rules into one document, rather than the current five places to look? (Blood Bowl rulebook, Deathzone Season one, Errata, Teams of Legend, Q&A)

AH> Yup, this is being done right now!

ex-BBRC member

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Thanks Babs. I'll probably wait for the dust to settle down and THEN will purchase any rules :)

Still, excited to see new rules (even if I dont ah well...). Good to see that the hobby is picked up again, hope to see new people starting to play this wonderfull game :)

Now, back to those nifty new plastic skavens and how to fit them on normal, 25 mm, bases :D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Babs wrote:
Wood Elf Roster:
Is the cost of Wood Elf Linemen meant to be 70,000?
AH> Yup, as per the errata.
You might want to point out to Andy that, as per the errata (I've just rechecked it) there's nothing in it about Wood Elf Lineman. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Those poor WELF coaches are going to have to come up with 63K per line! Surely an outrage.

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

JaM - the skaven comment is worthy of it's own thread - so I started it for you, rather than being a tangent buried on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43487&p=769549#p769549

ex-BBRC member