New Blood Bowl GW Plastic Minis and Vallejo Surface Primer

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

pistachio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pistachio »

Hi everyone. I've been using Vallejo Surface Primer and a brush to prime minis for years. I can't stand the aerosols. Generally, I use the grey color and on metal minis, but sometimes on plastic (although it's been quite awhile). It works great. However...

I started to prime the Orcs out of the new GW Blood Bowl boxed set tonight and the Vallejo Surface Primer is just not looking even on these new plastic minis. I am probably going to have to try a second coat tomorrow after this first coat fully dries, but I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered a similar problem. Something looks wrong, and I am not entirely convinced that the second coat will address this, although I am hopeful. I've never had to double primer coat miniatures before. To make sure it wasn't the primer itself, I primed a metal mini tonight, and it looks great - even and fully-coated. So, it's the plastic GW mini that's the variable here. New plastic GW Orc on the left, test metal mini primed as a comparison on the right, both with the same primer and brush.

Any insight? Could it be that everything is fine, and it's just the dark green plastic showing through the grey surface primer and I should simply stick with the single coat and start painting over it? I normally pre-wash the sprue before assembling, but I did not for these minis as I had heard from others they did not pre-wash these before painting - could it be chemicals on the plastic?

Thank you.
SurfacePrimer.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Re: New Blood Bowl GW Plastic Minis and Vallejo Surface Prim

Post by birdman37 »

pistachio wrote:Could it be that everything is fine, and it's just the dark green plastic showing through the grey surface primer and I should simply stick with the single coat and start painting over it?
That would be my bet. Your metal miniature is (essentially) grey, so any variation in the thickness of the primer is not going to be as obvious as from a bright green miniature.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Re: New Blood Bowl GW Plastic Minis and Vallejo Surface Prim

Post by Steam Ball »

Also maybe different plastic formula (could the color additive affect it? maybe changes necessary to get the tiny fingers and spikes?), or different mold finishing, so the surface is slippery. Or primer not shaken enough, or that bottle went bad. Vallejo Primers are temperamental, and in some cases, just "meh" (go look for videos of people complaining about how it scratched easily while masking, all kind of surfaces). Multiple coats should not hurt, better that than a thick one covering details.

TomB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TomB »

I like Tamiya fine surface primer as it's self etching (got it for trollcast halflings) and use it for everything now. I don't know if they make it not in a spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk