Death Zone season 2, what might be

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Death Zone season 2, what might be

Post by Moraiwe »

I think those plans got scuppered when they decided not to do a generic-with-conversions box to cover all four elf teams. They'll want to have something from DZ-2 ready to help sell the books when it comes out, and they're not going to do have time to do all the teams in DZ-1 first.

Reason: ''
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Babs wrote:I've been told that Forgeworld will develop a miniature for everything that sees print.

As such, that therefore means that they will develop all the teams and stars from DZ1 first. Any teams that make print in DZ2 would therefore follow that 'development order'.
Except public statements by Andy and James suggest Goblins will be available around April, and they aren't in DZ1, and I think we can all agree it's not likely we'll see Nurgle and all four Elf teams before then.

Milo

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

If Gobbos come out in April, then that puts them around 1 team per 3 months release cycle. That's way faster than I was anticipating. It would be really cool to see 2 more teams, plus they might be able to get 1 more in by December. I'm going to stick with my Wood Elf, Nurgle, and Halflings guess.

I'm not as familiar with the original Death Zone, but curious what other rules might come about with DZ2. It looks like in 3rd edition, they introduced or added the cards, trophies, magic, and a lot of star players. Most of which is already included in the new release. I have read through the new rules books, but I would guess rules for magic would be likely. Maybe a few new star players. Cards would have to be done separately, and we just got a new pack, so I'm guessing they wouldn't come with DZ2.

Lastly, trophies. We were going to have a house rule for the trophies in our little friendly, which included an in-game bonus. Like 1 extra disposable reroll they could use that season (once used, it's gone). Also, the winner of the tourney could use the trophy (I have most of the original GW metal trophies) as a turn marker, which signifies their accomplishment. Our group dissolved before we got to the end tourney, so we never got the chance to incorporate it. However, I could see them adding something like that to DZ2.

That's not a lot of additional rules, so I'm wondering if there will indeed be another "DZ2" rulebook? Sounds like more of it would be filled with new material.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

faust_33 wrote:If Gobbos come out in April, then that puts them around 1 team per 3 months release cycle. That's way faster than I was anticipating. It would be really cool to see 2 more teams, plus they might be able to get 1 more in by December. I'm going to stick with my Wood Elf, Nurgle, and Halflings guess.

I'm not as familiar with the original Death Zone, but curious what other rules might come about with DZ2. It looks like in 3rd edition, they introduced or added the cards, trophies, magic, and a lot of star players. Most of which is already included in the new release. I have read through the new rules books, but I would guess rules for magic would be likely. Maybe a few new star players. Cards would have to be done separately, and we just got a new pack, so I'm guessing they wouldn't come with DZ2.

Lastly, trophies. We were going to have a house rule for the trophies in our little friendly, which included an in-game bonus. Like 1 extra disposable reroll they could use that season (once used, it's gone). Also, the winner of the tourney could use the trophy (I have most of the original GW metal trophies) as a turn marker, which signifies their accomplishment. Our group dissolved before we got to the end tourney, so we never got the chance to incorporate it. However, I could see them adding something like that to DZ2.

That's not a lot of additional rules, so I'm wondering if there will indeed be another "DZ2" rulebook? Sounds like more of it would be filled with new material.
There actually is a rule like that in DZ1.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

faust_33 wrote:If Gobbos come out in April, then that puts them around 1 team per 3 months release cycle. That's way faster than I was anticipating. It would be really cool to see 2 more teams, plus they might be able to get 1 more in by December. I'm going to stick with my Wood Elf, Nurgle, and Halflings guess.
Well, if we get plastic Goblins and a Troll in April, we would actually be up to six complete teams: Humans, Orcs (now with Troll and Gobbos!), Dwarves, Skaven, Goblins and Underworld Denizens. That means from the end of November to some point in April (between 4-6 months depending on how accurately you count it), we'd have more than one team a month on average. That would put us at approximately two years to have all of the currently existing races released, if they can keep it up.

Admittedly, Goblins probably wouldn't be anyone's first guess as to the next release, especially with five other teams in the DZ1 book that haven't gotten a release. But if you look at it in terms of bang for your buck, Goblins show up on a LOT of other rosters, more than any other position in the game. (You could even sub them as Hobgoblins and cobble together most of a Chaos Dwarf team.)
faust_33 wrote:I'm not as familiar with the original Death Zone, but curious what other rules might come about with DZ2. It looks like in 3rd edition, they introduced or added the cards, trophies, magic, and a lot of star players. Most of which is already included in the new release. I have read through the new rules books, but I would guess rules for magic would be likely. Maybe a few new star players. Cards would have to be done separately, and we just got a new pack, so I'm guessing they wouldn't come with DZ2.

The original Blood Bowl game came with, if I remember correctly, Humans, Orcs, Skaven, Dwarves, High Elves and Dark Elves. Then the Death Zone expansion added Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, Undead, Wood Elf, Goblin and Halfling, which were the original 12 races in 3rd Ed "modern" Blood Bowl.

Death Zone (3rd) included all of the skills, the rules for gaining SPPs, cards, trophies, wizards, and nearly all the star players. I don't think the Death Zone rule books will follow the big bang release format of the old Death Zone expansion -- partly because they are not a separate box set like the 3rd DZ and partly because they want to extend the releases over a longer period of time.

The original timeline (one box and expansion box) only included 12 teams -- there are almost TWICE that now (officially). I think it's totally reasonable for them to stretch that out into multiple rulebook releases (though I do sympathize with people who want a unified rulebook) as long as there is still lots of new content in each book to make sure it isn't a simple matter of "reprint CRP, make money".

Milo

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

@Deathrain: I don't think I've ever seen DZ1, but there's a good chance that I read something about it here and that's where I got the idea.

@Milo: Yea, Goblins make a lot of sense. If I decide to make an Orc team, I'd probably add one on there. I also figured that we wouldn't get another boxed set with DZ1 or DZ2. They can probably make a lot more money by just selling a rules pack and a box of minis individually. I guess if they decide to release more rulebooks, they will probably look back at earlier BB releases and see what they could make work or create new stuff. Also, there is probably room for a lot more fluff with the Star Players and teams. I sometimes like reading that stuff, but I'm also glad that CRP stripped that out. I often look to CRP as a model for how game rules should be organized. Unfortunately, most of them are lacking.

Dolch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dolch »

Back to Speculation on what DZ#2 will look like.

DZ#1 Gave us rules for Skaven, Dwarves, Nurgle, and 4 flavors of Elves. Of those teams, Skaven was released on the same day, and Dwarves a bit later. We also got some nice rules for running leagues, though I haven't played a full season with them yet. We also have rules for both Stunties (Goblin on the Ork team) and Big Guys (Human Ogre, Ork's Troll, Scaven Rat Ogre, and Wood Elf Treeman), but no stuntie Teams.

The remaining teams fall into 4 broad groups:
Majority Stunties: Underworld, Goblins, Halflings, Lizardmen, and Ogres
Undead: Necromantic Horror, Shambling Undead, Khemri, Vampires
Chaos: Chaos Dwarves, Chaos Renegades, Chaos Chosen
Misc. Amazons, and Norse

It is confirmed that Goblins are coming here in April with DZ#2. You would almost expect DZ#2 to have a theme to it... one that Goblins fit into. We've also heard that something like Dungeon Bowl is coming. Seems like those would go together.

I expect DZ#2 to have the Stuntie Teams along with Amazons and Norse (to even out the number of teams). I don't expect too many rules changes there. I also expect rules for something like Dungeon Bowl in there. I expect it to be the same size and cost ($25US) which is what seems to be GW's new reoccurring rulebook price.

I expect DZ#3 to have an Undead/Chaos Theme with those 7 teams. Maybe some Storm of Magic style rules (and the triumphant return of Wizards).

As for what teams may come out in plastic, I can't really say. GW has said that Blood Bowl releases have all exceeded their expectations, and if plastic teams continue to sell well, they will make more. If Goblins come out in April, they may be the last plastic team for a while until other teams make their way through development. 5-6 miniature sprues are going to take around 12-18 months of development, depending on their priority. If much of the development for a team has been done with resin in mind, then switching to a plastic production will also cause serious delays (even if they can hand off projects like that between branches of the company).

fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

Dolch wrote:Back to Speculation on what DZ#2 will look like.

DZ#1 Gave us rules for Skaven, Dwarves, Nurgle, and 4 flavors of Elves. Of those teams, Skaven was released on the same day, and Dwarves a bit later. We also got some nice rules for running leagues, though I haven't played a full season with them yet. We also have rules for both Stunties (Goblin on the Ork team) and Big Guys (Human Ogre, Ork's Troll, Scaven Rat Ogre, and Wood Elf Treeman), but no stuntie Teams.

The remaining teams fall into 4 broad groups:
Majority Stunties: Underworld, Goblins, Halflings, Lizardmen, and Ogres
Undead: Necromantic Horror, Shambling Undead, Khemri, Vampires
Chaos: Chaos Dwarves, Chaos Renegades, Chaos Chosen
Misc. Amazons, and Norse

It is confirmed that Goblins are coming here in April with DZ#2. You would almost expect DZ#2 to have a theme to it... one that Goblins fit into. We've also heard that something like Dungeon Bowl is coming. Seems like those would go together.

I expect DZ#2 to have the Stuntie Teams along with Amazons and Norse (to even out the number of teams). I don't expect too many rules changes there. I also expect rules for something like Dungeon Bowl in there. I expect it to be the same size and cost ($25US) which is what seems to be GW's new reoccurring rulebook price.

I expect DZ#3 to have an Undead/Chaos Theme with those 7 teams. Maybe some Storm of Magic style rules (and the triumphant return of Wizards).

As for what teams may come out in plastic, I can't really say. GW has said that Blood Bowl releases have all exceeded their expectations, and if plastic teams continue to sell well, they will make more. If Goblins come out in April, they may be the last plastic team for a while until other teams make their way through development. 5-6 miniature sprues are going to take around 12-18 months of development, depending on their priority. If much of the development for a team has been done with resin in mind, then switching to a plastic production will also cause serious delays (even if they can hand off projects like that between branches of the company).
Wizards will probably be either before or at the same time as Dungeon Bowl due to the fact it's all about the colleges of magic...

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

Is there already an announcement or release date for DZ2 ?

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Not yet, but with Warhammer Fest at the end of the month, I think that's when we'll see a wave of releases for all the games.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Slothman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slothman »

Just saw news this will be up for preorder this weekend with the Goblins.

No news on content though.

ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

Slothman wrote:Just saw news this will be up for preorder this weekend with the Goblins.

pre-order of goblins and a new batch of made to order, perhaps a new set of cards.

Slothman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slothman »

ugrosh wrote:
Slothman wrote:Just saw news this will be up for preorder this weekend with the Goblins.

pre-order of goblins and a new batch of made to order, perhaps a new set of cards.

That was a leaked pre order list for the weekend. Reasonably reliable source.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Dolch wrote:Back to Speculation on what DZ#2 will look like.

It is confirmed that Goblins are coming here in April with DZ#2. You would almost expect DZ#2 to have a theme to it... one that Goblins fit into.

Plastic teams definitely have a longer development time, and switching from resin to plastic based on higher than expected sales will definitely cause some delays and schedule rearrangements. But I think it's for the better in the long run.

Milo

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Slothman wrote:Image
£16 (and coppers) for a full team* isn't bad - just a shame they don't appear to look that good.
Bodes well if other teams come out in plastic though.

* Full team minus Troll obviously and pogoer - does that mean the pogo has been dropped, or just not shown, (is the booster the SW or just 4 more gobbos)?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.