PETA... seriously?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

PETA... seriously?

Post by Madsherman »

Have you guys seen this? I'm gonna greenstuff some fur fringes on my HEs now, just in spite XD

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/peta-warhammer-fur-free/

It's the dumbest thing since that "Don't use an animal as an insult"-rap video

Reason: ''
"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: PETA... seriously?

Post by spubbbba »

This is daft and the funniest thing is they used Space Wolves as their key example.

Anyone who is familiar with the Horus Hersey novels about the space wolves will have read "there are no wolves on Fenris" multiple times.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

OMG I was pretty dubious of this (FB has taught me something) so I did a search for PETA warhammer hoax and..................I'm very disappointed. Yeah, it's kind of funny, but BS issues like this obviously carry some weight. Also PETA are useful and do highlight issues that are important (championing the honey bee for example)...........so very sad, very sad indeed.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

In Germany we have a saying: "Wer keine Probleme hat, macht sich welche."
Roughly translates to "Who doesn't have any problems will make himself some."

Little pieces of plastic designed to look like fur? Seriously?

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Actually, I think it's a bad attention-grab to make people look at the fur video. They're just too rabid for me and have no grasp of reality.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

*waits patiently for the resident vegan to provide his valuable insight*

(note: I am actually being sincere here - his post on facebook was really interesting and well written)

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

how can you find a lone vegan in a room? just wait... he'll identify himself.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Regash wrote:In Germany we have a saying: "Wer keine Probleme hat, macht sich welche."
Roughly translates to "Who doesn't have any problems will make himself some."
(...)
Spot on.
:wink:

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

nazgob wrote:*waits patiently for the resident vegan to provide his valuable insight*
Oh go on then. (copied from my facebook comment when this article was posted to Blood Bowl Community):

I feel like I should weigh in here. I’m in the fairly rare position of being both a devoted tabletop wargamer and a dedicated vegan (which, in case you’re unfamiliar with the term, means someone who strives to reduce the consumption of animal products of any variety as much as is reasonably practicable.) There is nothing anyone in this group, or any other group of any size or influence, that could shake me from this stance. I say this because I do not write this comment as an invitation to debate my own personal ethics. So if you try, I will ignore you.

In case anyone was curious, the things I research before engaging in my favourite hobby are: paintbrushes (sable hair brushes is a result of the fur industry), paints (particularly colourings such as E120 etc), and to a lesser extent plastics (which can contain tallow). A reasonable response for someone in my position would be to buy synthetic brushes and buy chemically created paints. I have trouble avoiding plastic, it would take an extraordinary amount of effort and complication do so, so it is not reasonably practicable to do so. That said, I do prefer metal miniatures, but that’s by-the-by.

So, on to the meat (ahem) of the article. Peta have a reputation of being loud-mouthed, ill-informed holier-than-thou irritants that throw literally anything they can think of to argue their points. While this is true in some instances, their overall stance is one that many people can sympathise with. They have done good stuff in the past (raising awareness of animal testing in cosmetics in the 90s, for example), but that isn’t to say everything they say and do is the right stance.

Most people are anti-fur/meat/milk etc because of the inherent cruelty necessary for such a market to exist in today’s enormous market. It’s rare that you’ll find someone like me getting angry at someone that keeps chickens in their garden, but more as a protest to industrial scale production and usage of animal products.

As a result, we tend to avoid it as much as we can, so we can feel we are not participating in a system we disagree with. We avoid leather, wool, all meat, cheese, dairy, honey, silk… it’s a big list.

With that being said, it is churlish to ignore that our system of life is the only way. While I dislike the notion of fishing, I understand there are small communities on the planet that don’t have the luxury (and it is a luxury) of choice. Without the use of furs etc nomadic Mongolian communities would have to disappear, which is sad.

I enjoy fantasy books as well as books about history. While I would not wear fur myself, I can still enjoy stories about those that do. No animals would be harmed if I write a story about a butcher that hunts deer. I would be wholly surprised if I ever found anyone that was directly influenced by such a story to follow in his footsteps. Just because I read about a cult of chaos flaying themselves in honour of a higher power, doesn’t mean I will. When I read about an ogre maneater devouring a villager, doesn’t mean I will. And when I see Leman Russ wearing the skin of a wolf, it doesn’t mean I’m going to go hunting in the artic for my own skin-cloak.

The context is wholly different, the suffering is nonexistant, and the lifestyle I live is not belittled by my enjoyment of such a model, character, story, idea, myth, aesthetic, or piece of artwork.

/Rant

TL;DR a small plastic fella with a fur cloak =/= approving of animal exploitation.

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Well put, Twelfman, and more power to you. I'm not in a place where I can be vegan, but I am trying to take meat consumption down a notch or two, eat more veggie options and more fish.

I tihnk that PETA's "reasoning" is that 40K is in the future and in the future you wouldn't expect people to wear fur... which is total hooey to me. Also it's about the signal it sends, right? But that signal would only be sent by the hero of a story, aaand I don't see any of the races in WH40K as good guys XD

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

i have no interest in being vegan or vegetarian. i made a joke above, but i have no issue with anyone who is. what ever works for you is fine by me. peta, however, is pretty much a joke due to their ridiculous tactics.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Thank you Twelfman for being thoughtful and reasonable! Too often when we think of Vegans, we only think of the loudest and most irritating ones - like Peta. I guess you can say the same for any group.

I get the impression that Peta as an organization is more interested in calling attention to themselves and collecting donations than they are in really changing anybody's minds.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
neilnickson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neilnickson »

Made the news on The Today Programme (BBC Radio 4 in the UK) this morning. Something about a game for Genocidal maniacs :)

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

Personally, I'm more of a "How can we wear more fur and create a demand for it?" kind of guy - PROVIDING that fur is possum / stoat fur in New Zealand and Fox Fur/ Rabbit fur in Australia - etc.

(That is, in case you missed it, creating demand to reduce invasive/feral species.)

So - bring on more fur wearing!

And yes, this position does translate into my Blood Bowl - here is my halfling / snotling head coach "Rudd the Barbarian":

Note the fox pelt, an allusion, in good satirical humour, to a red haired political opponent. I think this is very Blood Bowly.
(and please note I am in no way trying to persuade Twelfman to a different point of view. I am merely, in the same way as him, expressing mine.)

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

There's also IMO a huuge difference in getting fur from the industry or getting it from invasive species. Again I highly doubt that the inhabitants of the warhammer universe raises wolves in cages to get their pelts XD