Multiple Blood Bowl rulesets

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Multiple Blood Bowl rulesets

Post by Gaixo »

What does "productive" mean in this case? That the game is succeeding in spite of it? It's hard to believe that a game is more successful (from the standpoint of increasing the player base, as opposed to making it profitable, though maybe that's what you meant) because one must pay for its rules.

Reason: ''
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

rolo wrote:GW actually made a decent amount of money selling Warhammer models which were converted to Blood Bowl, although of course their bean counters won't be able to tell those apart from normal Warhammer players.
I don't know that I've seen that many converted Warhammer minis. Maybe a long time ago. All my Blood Bowl minis were bought on Ebay, as I came into things a bit late. The few Warhammer minis I bought for conversion, also from Ebay. So GW actually never got any of the money I spent building 17 teams. I'm guessing that would be the case for a lot of people who came around after CRP.

Anyways, this is about rules. I've bought the three new rulebooks, but the rulebook I go back to time and time again is DZ2. I think most people could get by with just that one. If DZ3 or DZ4 recaps the previous teams and skills once again, it might end up being the only rulebook anyone needs. I'm fine with buying one rulebook for the game. If a newer version comes out every few years, that is a complete set of rules, I'd be okay with that too.

GW seems to be holding to the old school method of publishing rules though. Release supplemental books, to get you to buy more. That's unfortunate, because the last thing people want is multiple rules scattered across multiple books. Especially for tournament players. In this day and age, it would make more sense to be a consolidated electronic document. Add a print on demand option for people who want paper copies.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

One of the biggest gripes about Dreadball (apart from balance) was that you needed six(!) books to have access to all the rules, and even just the 'core' rules ended up over 3 or 4 books. That's not counting the two 'cup' books (variant play).

Mantic have learnt on that, and DB2 is (going to be) a all-in-one book. It's a shame GW have gone backwards on this. Even a all-in-one pdf version would be good (stand-alone, not in the app).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Dreadball had a LOT of problems. Their first Kickstarter took in $728,000. Dreadball 2 took in $183,000. Not exactly keeping the fan base happy.

I agree with your main point about the all-in-one rulebook though.

stashman

Post by stashman »

As long as NAF keeps the new DZ stuff as available stuff for Tournament Organizers to choose to use it will be good.

Same teams
Same stars

Inducements are upto the TO to use

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

faust_33 wrote:Dreadball had a LOT of problems. Their first Kickstarter took in $728,000. Dreadball 2 took in $183,000. Not exactly keeping the fan base happy.
That was also (though not only, there was [is] also the annoyance of Mantic having so many KS going at any one time, and not always following up on what they've released) due to those of us that had backed the first one not needing to go so heavily on the second. Between our (small) club we can cover all the team twice, and others have a team or two on top of that.

I know DB has died locally while the wait for DB2 to drop has gone on.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Darkson wrote:
faust_33 wrote:Dreadball had a LOT of problems. Their first Kickstarter took in $728,000. Dreadball 2 took in $183,000. Not exactly keeping the fan base happy.
That was also (though not only, there was [is] also the annoyance of Mantic having so many KS going at any one time, and not always following up on what they've released) due to those of us that had backed the first one not needing to go so heavily on the second. Between our (small) club we can cover all the team twice, and others have a team or two on top of that.

I know DB has died locally while the wait for DB2 to drop has gone on.
Actually, it was a bit of the opposite for me. The second DB Kickstarter happened before I got all the stuff from the first, so I backed the second one at about the same level. It wasn't until later that I realized how much I disliked DB. I really need to write up my BB vs DB blog post someday. But it also feels like old news at this point.

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

I'd be interested in reading that, though unlikely to see it if it's posted in the "Other FF" section. I always found Dreadball's concept interesting but was scared off by bad reviews.

I've given 3 or 4 DB starters away at my charity tournament. I though this might lead to a friend winning one, but they always seem to go out of town.

Mori-mori
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mori-mori »

Gaixo wrote:I'd be interested in reading that, though unlikely to see it if it's posted in the "Other FF" section. I always found Dreadball's concept interesting but was scared off by bad reviews.
I second this. I also would be very interested in reading a good, detailed comparison articles on "BB vs Any_other_popular_fantasy_football_game", as I only have easy access to BB, due to availability of digital version.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Ok, I'll let you all know once I've written it. It will end up on my blog (link in my signature).

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd be interested too. I like DB, but I found for me it scratches a different itch.
But it had (or might still have in DB2) some major issues, especially for league play.

I wanted to try to get into GB as well, but our only local player had to drop out of gaming for personal reasons, so there is no-one to give it a go.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I really, really want to like Dreadball. The gameplay seems okay and something you could get used to, but the models are just so damn ugly.

But not to derail the thread - this is about how many rulebooks you need to be able to play Blood Bowl. If there were a "Unified" rulebook with all the rules, I'd pay (a reasonable amount of money) for it.

I'm thinking of consolidating one for my league, but obviously I wouldn't be able to publish it.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

rolo wrote: But not to derail the thread - this is about how many rulebooks you need to be able to play Blood Bowl. If there were a "Unified" rulebook with all the rules, I'd pay (a reasonable amount of money) for it.

I'm thinking of consolidating one for my league, but obviously I wouldn't be able to publish it.
I got the unified rulebook based on LRB6 and then added all new stuff with red font.