Impact! turning 11.

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Impact! turning 11.

Post by GalakStarscraper »

On Monday Impact! is turning 11. Because of the health issues with my wife and son I was not able to do anything special when we turned 10 last year. And even through my wife just had her left hip replaced just 10 days ago ... I am determined this year to celebrate turning 11.

The biggest thing I could do for the event is update the website. To say the last 3 years have been an adventure I don't wish on folks is an understatement ... but the side effect was that I have not added a new fantasy football item to the store since July 2014. Literally ... spent most of every day just trying to keep family either functional or alive (if not for some great friends, loyal customers and the Amazon store I had already set up ... Impact! would probably not have made it during those 3 years). But I did make it and so I'm really working to hopefully on Monday make an announcement of something special for Impact! turning 11. Stay tuned ... not sure I can get it all done in time ... but sure going to try. I have over 150 new Fantasy Football items to put into the store and that is not a quick task ... but I'm really trying to make it happen.

So stay turned ... really hoping to announce something fun on Monday.

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Impact! turning 11.

Post by bouncergriim »

Great news Galak! Hope it goes smoothly and I look forward to Impact!s birthday. 8)

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Happy Birthday to Impact!

Glad that the store is still around and new stuff is in the works. I'll likely be shopping for some alternative Stars, plus all the other cool Fantasy Football related items you usually carry.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Happy Birthday to Impact.

I feel it is appropriate that a Fantasy Football company makes his 11th birthday special.
11 is the sacred number of Nuffle!

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Congrats Galak, and I hope you and your family have a lot more luck in the next few years than the last.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Congrats!! I thought I was done buying teams for the year, but I might just have to help you celebrate Impact!'s 11th, as Rolex says the Sacred Number of Nuffle!

Here's hoping the next 11 years are more pleasant for you and yours :)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Happy birthday!
Stay strong!

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Were you "Just" letting us know, or did you want feedback and suggestions on how the website could be improved?

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

rolo wrote:Were you "Just" letting us know, or did you want feedback and suggestions on how the website could be improved?
I've got ideas for improving the site and am working on it. HOWEVER ... if you have something I could do that you want to suggest ... I'm open to hearing it.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

I would really love to see a new Impact! website, probably even more than the new content. I was on there at the start of the week looking to quickly buy some skill rings using a voucher and eventually gave up. There are quite few free and open source eCommerce sites you can download nowadays like OpenCart.

I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining, just thought it might be useful feedback to help best target your limited resources.

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

Congrats, Tom. Here's to many more years for Impact.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

hutchinsfairy wrote:I would really love to see a new Impact! website, probably even more than the new content. I was on there at the start of the week looking to quickly buy some skill rings using a voucher and eventually gave up. There are quite few free and open source eCommerce sites you can download nowadays like OpenCart.

I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining, just thought it might be useful feedback to help best target your limited resources.
I'm very sorry to hear this ... but why specifically did you give up? If you put Skill rings in the search box they come up ( http://www.impactminiatures.com/?option ... it=+Search+ ) and there is even a category on the side for skill rings to take you to them.

If the problem was the voucher ... when I give the vouchers out to anyone ... I openly tell the person I give the voucher to that I do not want those to work automatically on the website and that the person needs to email me to use the voucher so I can keep track of them. So if the voucher was the issue ... a new site would not change that as I would still want to handle that personally and not automatically. If you want to use the voucher you have ... feel free to contact me via PM and let me know the number and the amount on it and I'll match it up to my records and get you whatever you would like to use it on. Happy to help.

So I'm not sure what didn't work for you to improve the experience.

Tom

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
hutchinsfairy wrote:I would really love to see a new Impact! website, probably even more than the new content. I was on there at the start of the week looking to quickly buy some skill rings using a voucher and eventually gave up. There are quite few free and open source eCommerce sites you can download nowadays like OpenCart.

I'm very sorry to hear this ... but why specifically did you give up? If you put Skill rings in the search box they come up ( http://www.impactminiatures.com/?option ... it=+Search+ ) and there is even a category on the side for skill rings to take you to them.

If the problem was the voucher ... when I give the vouchers out to anyone ... I openly tell the person I give the voucher to that I do not want those to work automatically on the website and that the person needs to email me to use the voucher so I can keep track of them. So if the voucher was the issue ... a new site would not change that as I would still want to handle that personally and not automatically. If you want to use the voucher you have ... feel free to contact me via PM and let me know the number and the amount on it and I'll match it up to my records and get you whatever you would like to use it on. Happy to help.

So I'm not sure what didn't work for you to improve the experience.

Tom
Sorry, this is hammered out in a rush so brevity is due to timeliness rather than terseness!

Searching:
1) Small white text on bright orange background. I find this hard to scan for what I want.
2) Categories fully expanded so have to scroll.
3) Categories are an unintuitive hybrid of Game/Race/Designer.
4) Search does not find as I type.
5) Search is strict (i.e. "Skill ring" returns no results but "Skill rings" does).
6) Search box is small.
Adding to basket
1) Can't add to basket from search results or subcategory.
2) Pictures re-used for similar items so they don't quite match item.
3) Have to click picture (not title or price) to be taken to item page.
4) Big wall of text for item, most of which is generic for all items.
5) Picture still does not match item and only one picture per item.
6) Clicking on picture opens a new window instead of enlarging it.
7) Clicking "Add to order" also opens new window (Paypal).
8) Paypal site does not make it clear that I can build a basket by clicking "Continue shopping" and my items will be remembered.
9) Expectation from other websites is that when I punch out to Paypal I am about to pay.
10) I therefore initially assumed that it was £10 postage per item!
11) When I close Paypal window and go back to Impact! there is no record of my basket that I can see.
12) For each item I have to click into the item page, add to Paypal, close Paypal window and press back to subcategory. Not onerous but still clunky.
13) I check to see how it is supposed to work and find the P&P info page
Paying:
1) Only at this point am I told that I need to login before adding items unless I'm in the UK (luckily I am), that I can pay by credit card and that the shipping is a flat rate (although it is unclear if I could choose to pay in dollars for a UK address, I assume not).
2) I finally build my basket, amend the quantities in Paypal and look for somewhere to input my voucher...
3) I trawl the website for a guide on where to enter the voucher code
4) I find a line in their description which suggests that I have to email and place an order although it is not entirely clear whether I then abandon my Paypal basket or use it somehow to place the order before paying by email.
5) I check the PDF voucher and realise that I have only been given a voucher number and not activation code (it was a gift).
6) I also realise that the PDF says £20 but only $20 was paid for it and the website only lists vouchers in dollars so presumably this is a typo.
7) I give up for now.

I do almost all of my shopping online these days and most websites seem to have commonalities that set up user expectations. All of the things listed above are fairly minor in isolation (with the possible exception of not accepting vouchers online) but as an end-to-end experience it was off-putting.

Having said that, I will at some point buy some skill rings from you and the last thing I want to do is to make you feel like I'm faulting you or to tarnish your impending relaunch! These just seemed like solvable niggles to me that might be useful to have enumerated.

Lychanthrope
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lychanthrope »

Well it's not your 111, but it's only off by one digit so we'll go with. Especially considering you've already had the adventure. :D Happy Birthday!!

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

more information now available here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43952