Goblin Roster DZ2

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Goblin Roster DZ2

Post by Rolex »

It seems quite useful to me.
Expecially if you throw him without the ball.
If it lands succesfully and in score range (not difficult) you can open the way with a blitz and go hand off him the ball.

If you use him for OTTD it is better if he lands and then blitzes 2 dice uphill an then goes in (not so difficult with a RR... around 70%).

I think it adds quite a bit of variety and we will see quite different gobbo teams.

When I heard of new players for goblins I feared a lot worse.
I also like the squig SP.

My thanks to the rules consulting committee.

Reason: ''
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

garion wrote:
Bakunin wrote:I dont get why 20k is bloat. +1 to land seems really great. With a catch skill up, even better.

But I would also only play Goblins in a league, if I got to roster 3 bribes.
Because the player had no Dodge and cant use stunty. Which means he cant score One Turn Touchdowns. His odds will be worse than normal goblins because of the dodges required at the end.

Maybe for a 1turn TD.

But for a mid-drive, where you throw over the D#, its super great.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
ramchop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ramchop »

Does +1 landing roll also apply to Leap? Who needs stunty dodge? ;)

yes i know it doesn't.

Doom Diver looks like fun. And could be fantastic on a Blitz kickoff result - for that moment before he gets smashed

ramchop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ramchop »

If the throw in template is indeed used for the doom diver 3x scatters. Where is the best place to throw him when trying to hit the ball carrier. I started looking at the odds but the different permutations did my head in.

I think the two options (if in range) are:
On the ball carrier
Next to the ball carrier

Gut feeling is next to is best

Edit: another try (bound to be wrong)
- on ball carrier 14.8% chance of hitting
- next to ball carrier 18.5% chance of hitting
that's once in the air. The troll's stupidity, hunger, and fumble have not been accounted for

birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

garion wrote: * You use the throw-in template when scattering a TTM. You move like a Ball and Chain
Wow. I called it back in June 2015: http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 93#p733493

You're welcome, Games Workshop. ;)

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

Rolex wrote:If you use him for OTTD it is better if he lands and then blitzes 2 dice uphill an then goes in (not so difficult with a RR... around 70%).
Actually that is a fair shout.

It is very very hard to work out exactly what the number is because of the normal scatter odds.

However with a half dice block it still appears to be slightly less reliable way of scoring sadly

So - Pick up 3+, hand off 3+, loner RS 2+, Loner AH 2+, loner throw 3+, land 4+, dodge 3+, dodge 3+, gfi2, dodge 3+ gfi 2+ (with dodge skill, stunty, normal gobo)
12.701 %

So - Pick up 3+, hand off 3+, loner RS 2+, Loner AH 2+, loner throw 3+, land 3+, half dice block, Gfi 2+, dodge 3+, gfi 2+,
10.036% (with no dodge, Swoop gobo)

With the addition of scatter bonus I suspect swoop will come out at roughly the same odds as normal gobo.

I don't see its value I'm afraid. A player that does a special move at most a couple of times a game on a good day.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

garion wrote:I don't see its value I'm afraid. A player that does a special move at most a couple of times a game on a good day.
I think it totally depends on how your opponent sets up in defense. Yes, if your opponent makes a cordon line of tackle zones in his backfield, the Doom Diver is less likely than a standard Goblin to be able to go through it. But if they do that, they're committing at least five players to their backfield, leaving no more than six along the front lines, which you could easily swarm and outnumber. If they set them up midfield, the Doom Diver has a better chance than a standard Gobbo to fly over them and not have to do any dodging at all. Swoop means that you're guaranteed to get three squares of forward motion if you want them, plus less chance of needing a reroll on the landing. I might be tempted to line up a goblin AND the doom diver next to one of my trolls to force my opponent to defend both possibilities.

And that's still discounting the possibility many coaches, no doubt, will use him for: chucking at packs of the other team. If you throw him at a tight cage, you can almost guarantee you can hit one of them, and a failed landing doesn't cause a turnover unless the thrown player was carrying the ball.

Milo

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

It will be funny when the troll eats the doom diver.

Doom diver will be scoring every game. Or dieing.

I like the squig :D

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
garion

Post by garion »

Milo wrote:
garion wrote:I don't see its value I'm afraid. A player that does a special move at most a couple of times a game on a good day.
I think it totally depends on how your opponent sets up in defense. Yes, if your opponent makes a cordon line of tackle zones in his backfield, the Doom Diver is less likely than a standard Goblin to be able to go through it. But if they do that, they're committing at least five players to their backfield, leaving no more than six along the front lines, which you could easily swarm and outnumber. If they set them up midfield, the Doom Diver has a better chance than a standard Gobbo to fly over them and not have to do any dodging at all. Swoop means that you're guaranteed to get three squares of forward motion if you want them, plus less chance of needing a reroll on the landing. I might be tempted to line up a goblin AND the doom diver next to one of my trolls to force my opponent to defend both possibilities.

And that's still discounting the possibility many coaches, no doubt, will use him for: chucking at packs of the other team. If you throw him at a tight cage, you can almost guarantee you can hit one of them, and a failed landing doesn't cause a turnover unless the thrown player was carrying the ball.

All true and valid, and as I said on the other page, this one is a fine addition to the roster, as he will bring some hilarity to proceedings. Whereas the Hooligan sadly doesn't bring fun or value. So I am fine with this player. I personally wont be taking one as he is not cost effective and can't really join in with the team in other ways. Maybe if he were 40k I would consider it. But no Dodge is huge. I totally get the price being what it is though, I know if he were 40k some people would claim he was broken even though he clearly wouldn't be.

Squig is awesome!!! Same stat line as I gave my squig hoppers. Which is interesting, sort of validates my thoughts on what a Squig hopper playing BB would look like.

Only a couple of days to go now. woo :D

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Looke kinda like the Squig Herders of stunty leeg

0-16 Squig Herder 40k 6 2 3 7 Stunty, Dodge, Right Stuff
0-4 Squig 75k 5 4 4 8 Blood Lust, Leap, Mighty Blow, Juggernaut, No Hands, Really Stupid, Sprint, Very Long Legs, Claw (AS)
0-2 Squig Hopper110k6 4 3 8 Leap, Blood Lust, Sprint, Pro, Juggernaut, Two Heads, Very Long Legs (A)

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
garion

Post by garion »

this was mine. pretty close really, just WA for BL and no hands

0-16 Night Goblins 40,000 6 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff,Thrall A GSP
0-6 Squig Hopper 100,000 6 4 3 8 Leap, Very Long Legs, Bloodlust, Claw AS GP
0-1 Giant Cave Squig 110,000 4 5 1 9 Loner, Claw, Really Stupid, No Hands, Thick Skull S AGP
0-1 Fanatic 70,000 3 7 1 7 Ball and Chain, Secret Weapon, No Hands S AGP
Re-roll counter 70,000 gold pieces each
Apothecary Yes
Star Players Goblin

really looking forward to using a squig :)

dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

That new Star Player is ace, and he is a squig! Cool!

I can see as a tactic, throw the Doom Drive, knock down a corner of the cage, blitz with the Squig or Chainsaw on the ball. If the TTM fails, go with the Squig and leap into the cage.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

dreamscreator wrote:That new Star Player is ace, and he is a squig! Cool!

I can see as a tactic, throw the Doom Drive, knock down a corner of the cage, blitz with the Squig or Chainsaw on the ball. If the TTM fails, go with the Squig and leap into the cage.
Seems like the best use for the doom diver.

People suggesting TTM middle of the drive are crazy. Give away the ball when you have all your secrete weapons on the pitch, sounds good on paper but mmmm really?

Looking forward to seeing new Star Players :)

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

frogboy wrote: People suggesting TTM middle of the drive are crazy. Give away the ball when you have all your secrete weapons on the pitch, sounds good on paper but mmmm really?
Not if you TTM without the ball :wink:

If he fails it is not a TO. If he succeeds and you have a RR you hand off him the ball.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

How do you hand off to him if he is 9 squares down field?