Single roll Armour/Injury

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Single roll Armour/Injury

Post by dode74 »

Again, it's a matter of whether they become more predictable or not when not shaken/mixed enough. If not, then...

Reason: ''
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Itchen Masack wrote:I have suspicions that many times dice are not shaken/mixed very well at all. With 4 dice I would hope that mixing them is unavoidable
Mandatory dice tower for everyone!

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

dode74 wrote:Again, it's a matter of whether they become more predictable or not when not shaken/mixed enough. If not, then...
Well obviously i dont have any stats or graphs, so it doesnt matter what i think :) But i have sat many a time and seen dice cups turned over and yeah, exact same roll again (both good and bad rolls). Probably entirely random and unpredictable, cause there is always the chance it could happen randomly, but it also happens often enough to make me slightly suspicious of what actually happens inside that cup.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Hooray for confirmation bias ;)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:But that wasn't on any of the rosters this weekend.
I had PO, but I didn't roll the dice this way.

I only played Landrover who did it, and it did phase me for a bit (I am not accusing him of cheating though, he actually stopped me removing a few players that I thought were KO'd/injured).
I think if I played against and with it a few times it would become second nature to me, much like two dice for Sure Hands.

To be honest though, I think it would only be Speedbowl that I'd use it at.

I think for Speedbowl (and any other tournament I've been to recently) I need a dice tray more than anything, to stop me rolling dice all over the pitch/table/floor! :oops:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

dode74 wrote:Why not go the whole hog? 3 different coloured block dice (for 1d, 2d and 3d blocks) and 2 pairs of different coloured d6 all at the same time for 7 dice every block. Ignore any non-relevant dice.

;)
I've long wanted to make one of those Trouble-style dice poppers that had three differently colored block dice in it.

Milo

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Milo wrote:I've long wanted to make one of those Trouble-style dice poppers that had three differently colored block dice in it.
We looked into the same, also with a separate one that had 2 different coloured D6s and a D8.
Only because at one tournament (many years ago) there was a player that really slammed their dice cup, moving players not just on their pitch but on the pitch next to them.
When asked by others to tone it down a bit they did the opposite - we thought the popmatic might be a way to annoy them back - sadly, we couldn't find any cheap way of making it.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Milo wrote: I've long wanted to make one of those Trouble-style dice poppers that had three differently colored block dice in it.
Check this out :) https://photos.app.goo.gl/vEz3UWAGv2iBUWvk2

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

It's broken. It only rolls skulls :P

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

sann0638 wrote:Specific Armour and injury dice would do my head in, thinking about it. Smacks of.lucky dice.
I played Landrover at CakeBowl this year, and he did it. I think it's a great idea, moreso with skills I'm only likely to use once in a turn (e.g. Catch or Sure Hands) than skills where I might need them in subsequent actions (multiple dodges with Dodge, for example).

Can't see a reason the armour/injury dice shouldn't be rolled simultaneously. Using two different colours and making it obvious at the start of the game which is which should remove shenanigans.

If I've got suspiciously lucky dice, they'll be lucky whatever I use 'em for, so it wouldn't make a difference what I do with 'em. It's actually likely to be more beneficial for my opponent if I roll two sets of dice (if I do have a lucky set), as it means two sets of dice, which would only be better for me if I had two sets of loaded dice!

With that said, the one thing that's stopped me doing it since that game, is being worried that people might think there's something suspicious going on, so it must weigh on my conscience in some small way! :lol:

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

lunchmoney wrote:Check this out :) https://photos.app.goo.gl/vEz3UWAGv2iBUWvk2
I spent ages trying to find that exact photo for my NAF article! :roll:

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Our league meets(during a "season") on Saturday, and plays from 4pm to about 10pm. In that time, we play 2 games against 2 different coaches. Any time left over and we play SAGA!

They way we look at it, if a game takes 2 and a half to 3 hours(not often 3 hours), well, thats fine. We are all older people, and we are in no rush to hurry through a game. Mean to say, we like to talk a bit, eat our Pizza, laugh and have a good time.

No timed turns or rush for us old men... :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
juck101

Post by juck101 »

Maybe but will it speed much up? maybe shaves a second off with added confusion. Come play me and try it

...the pope said to his aid...
hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

I'm trying to think if there is any scenario in which this might confer an unfair advantage to the person rolling.

The only thing I can think of would be if the attacker wanted the defender to remain on the pitch in order to occupy a square (e.g. to block a lane). In that case the attacker could choose not to use Mighty Blow to break armour if they already knew that the injury roll was a KO or better.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

I've been doing this recently, some people really struggle with it because it's not 'the way'.

It does seem to be synonymous with Landrover though, that's who people have compared me doing it, to.

I use white NAF dice for armour and red NAF dice for injury. It's frustrating when the reds show twelve and the whites show armour hasn't been broken though! :o