New GW preorders next week

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Re: New GW preorders next week

Post by JT-Y »

Sorry Lycarian but that not entirely true. If you check you'll see that in several places the erroneous use of 'competition play' has been replaced by 'league play', the correct term to encompass both competition and friendly games, to make it clear that certain things apply in both competition and friendly games. Both types of game are fundamentally played the same, a friendly game simply generates less income, no MVP and doesn't count towards league standings. These things are detailed on page 56 in the post match sequence and elsewhere as appropriate.
If we'd changed everything then we would have made DZ1 obsolete, which wasn't an option. This is a compilation of what's come before and we took the opportunity to fix errors rather than rewrite in full.
Hell, I've been accused elsewhere of rewriting it all and making DZ1 obsolete based on these minor fixes so imagine the furore if I'd actually done that!

As for the Teams Of Legend, that's all subject to change. Nothing in there should be considered final be it rosters or inducements so splitting that up and including those things elsewhere would have been sowing trouble for the future when we get to updating any of it. It's included for reference purposes only.

Reason: ''

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

The Almanac is a brilliant product, also discussed in detail in Both Down's december podcast. It's just what we needed, compilation of all the stuff released in various media. Including the Teams of Legend was excellent.

A few things that were left out got mentioned in the podcast, which I agree with: Grak & Crumbleberry, White Dwarf & Black Gobbo. Also the artwork is old and re-used, would be nice to see something new.

The reason why some decks have less special play cards I think is because (for some reason GW only knows why) each deck must include exactly the same amount of cards. Orcs simply got more positionals, so there were less room for special play cards.

I think the cards are super great for new players. Having a card with all the stats and an image of the miniature in front of a new player makes a world of difference. It gives an option to play without roster, which may be better for some. I prefer the roster, but more options doesn't hurt anyone. The cards are also an upgrade from the original cards in the boxed game. They include more relevant info like how many of each positional you can have. The fighter cards also have one bonus over the roster in that it includes available skill sets and price, which you normally would have to reference in a book.

If GW was super nice to new players, they could have included the player cards in the miniature boxes. I was actually surprised not to see them there since they did come with the starter box, but not the separate teams boxes.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

JT-Y wrote:Sorry Lycarian but that not entirely true. If you check you'll see that in several places the erroneous use of 'competition play' has been replaced by 'league play', the correct term to encompass both competition and friendly games, to make it clear that certain things apply in both competition and friendly games.
I had noticed that update from the errata but from the "League Rules: Compiled and Expanded" banner on the back I expected a bit more.

"How Leagues work" still says play each team once while "Playing a season" says play each twice. As far as I am concerned DZ1 is obsolete this is just the reprint with errata fixed. Others may have complained you changed too much I guess it is just a case of you can not please all the people all the time. Clearly I was expecting too much. If you do not already have DZ1 & 2 it is a great product but if you do have them it is rather lack lustre.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Lyracian wrote:If you do not already have DZ1 & 2 it is a great product but if you do have them it is rather lack lustre.
I got DZ1, DZ2 and my own personal Almanac++, still enjoyed the book.