Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » General Chat

Post subject: Dreadball vs Blood Bowl blog post
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 pm 
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Okay, for those of you interested in reading my musings on Dreadball (1st Edition) vs Blood Bowl (2016), the blog post(s) are now up on my blog. It's in three parts, and the link below will take you to part 1 (then just follow along for the rest):

https://doubledowndice.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/dreadball-vs-blood-bowl/

And as a disclaimer, I have never worked for any games company. I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys some fantasy football games from time to time, and everything there is from my personal experience and opinions.

Post subject: Re: Dreadball vs Blood Bowl blog post
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 pm 
Da Spammer

Good write up, and I think I pretty much agree with all of it, apart from the dice (that's a+0 for me).

I think some of the things you found as a negative for DB have been changed for DB2 (the cards are now just cards not randomisers, the addition of the Agility stat has differentiated the teams more) but I've yet to actually play the new version so I'm not going to claim that it has solved the issues. I think the newer models are better than the original DB range, but still not up to GW standards (even if I don't like many of the new GW teams!).

A minus for DB (in my opinion) is 3rd party support - even if you don't like a certain GW BB team (old or new) there's bound to be a 3rd party version out there that you will, and that (for me) is something DB is missing.

However, at the end of the day, I enjoy both games - although they're both "sports" games I find they scratch different itches, and that's a good thing imo.

Khorne and Bretonnian? Sorry, those don't exist - bring a real roster.

Post subject: Re: Dreadball vs Blood Bowl blog post
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:15 am 
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Darkson wrote:
Good write up, and I think I pretty much agree with all of it, apart from the dice (that's a+0 for me).

I think some of the things you found as a negative for DB have been changed for DB2 (the cards are now just cards not randomisers, the addition of the Agility stat has differentiated the teams more) but I've yet to actually play the new version so I'm not going to claim that it has solved the issues. I think the newer models are better than the original DB range, but still not up to GW standards (even if I don't like many of the new GW teams!).

A minus for DB (in my opinion) is 3rd party support - even if you don't like a certain GW BB team (old or new) there's bound to be a 3rd party version out there that you will, and that (for me) is something DB is missing.

However, at the end of the day, I enjoy both games - although they're both "sports" games I find they scratch different itches, and that's a good thing imo.

Thanks for taking a look and offering your feedback. It's good to hear that Mantic has made steps to improve with DB2. When you say "3rd party support", do you mean alternate miniatures for teams? Such as GW, Roll Jordan, Gazpez-Arts, etc., all have Chaos Dwarf teams available?

I can see how people would like both games. They play differently enough that someone could certainly enjoy both.

Did you ever play Xtreme Dreadball? I picked it up, but sadly we never got around to playing it, as I already had a ton of Mantic plastic sitting around.

Board index » General Discussion » General Chat