Dreadball vs Blood Bowl blog post

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Dreadball vs Blood Bowl blog post

Post by faust_33 »

Okay, for those of you interested in reading my musings on Dreadball (1st Edition) vs Blood Bowl (2016), the blog post(s) are now up on my blog. It's in three parts, and the link below will take you to part 1 (then just follow along for the rest):

https://doubledowndice.wordpress.com/20 ... lood-bowl/

And as a disclaimer, I have never worked for any games company. I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys some fantasy football games from time to time, and everything there is from my personal experience and opinions.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Dreadball vs Blood Bowl blog post

Post by Darkson »

Good write up, and I think I pretty much agree with all of it, apart from the dice (that's a+0 for me).

I think some of the things you found as a negative for DB have been changed for DB2 (the cards are now just cards not randomisers, the addition of the Agility stat has differentiated the teams more) but I've yet to actually play the new version so I'm not going to claim that it has solved the issues. I think the newer models are better than the original DB range, but still not up to GW standards (even if I don't like many of the new GW teams!).

A minus for DB (in my opinion) is 3rd party support - even if you don't like a certain GW BB team (old or new) there's bound to be a 3rd party version out there that you will, and that (for me) is something DB is missing.

However, at the end of the day, I enjoy both games - although they're both "sports" games I find they scratch different itches, and that's a good thing imo.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Darkson wrote:Good write up, and I think I pretty much agree with all of it, apart from the dice (that's a+0 for me).

I think some of the things you found as a negative for DB have been changed for DB2 (the cards are now just cards not randomisers, the addition of the Agility stat has differentiated the teams more) but I've yet to actually play the new version so I'm not going to claim that it has solved the issues. I think the newer models are better than the original DB range, but still not up to GW standards (even if I don't like many of the new GW teams!).

A minus for DB (in my opinion) is 3rd party support - even if you don't like a certain GW BB team (old or new) there's bound to be a 3rd party version out there that you will, and that (for me) is something DB is missing.

However, at the end of the day, I enjoy both games - although they're both "sports" games I find they scratch different itches, and that's a good thing imo.
Thanks for taking a look and offering your feedback. It's good to hear that Mantic has made steps to improve with DB2. When you say "3rd party support", do you mean alternate miniatures for teams? Such as GW, Roll Jordan, Gazpez-Arts, etc., all have Chaos Dwarf teams available?

I can see how people would like both games. They play differently enough that someone could certainly enjoy both.

Did you ever play Xtreme Dreadball? I picked it up, but sadly we never got around to playing it, as I already had a ton of Mantic plastic sitting around.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

Thank you for posting the review; I have never played Dreadball but is was good to get an overview of it. I was not even aware it was Sci-Fi!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Sorry, missed that you'd replied to me!
faust_33 wrote:When you say "3rd party support", do you mean alternate miniatures for teams? Such as GW, Roll Jordan, Gazpez-Arts, etc., all have Chaos Dwarf teams available?
Exactly. There have been some pitches and stadiums made, and some cards (for 1st ed) for various teams (that made it easier to make "pick-up" games) but there's been a dearth of miniatures made, so if you don't like team X you're stuck with the standard version, especially if (like me) your conversions skills aren't up to much (and the earlier miniatures were of a 'restic' that wasn't great for conversions anyway).
faust_33 wrote:Did you ever play Xtreme Dreadball? I picked it up, but sadly we never got around to playing it, as I already had a ton of Mantic plastic sitting around.
We played a few games, and it was fun - there was something liberating about giving zero $hits about your players (I won our first game by blowing up one of my convicts), but we never got to the point of running a league with it, which is where the game supposedly shines.
I don't know if they intend to update DBX to the new rules, but all the teams from Xtreme have made it into the new rulebook.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

@Lyracian - Thanks for checking it out!

@Darkson - good to hear about DBX. I sometimes felt like they expanded a bit too rapidly with the two rules sets and different teams, but I guess they wanted to keep the momentum going.