Spike! Journal

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: Spike! Journal

Post by plasmoid »

Hey Darkson,
sorry to hear your League died.You're always welcome back in play by email. I can make sure you're not in group with Brets or Khorne.
Cheers
Martin

Reason: ''
Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

Regash wrote:Yeah, a lot of people take the advantage of Online Play, as sad as it is.
For me, playing games always was about spending time with people.
On line play accounts for some of it, but I think even that is only accounting for a couple hundred matches across the world per day (or at least the last time I looked).

Let's be honest, the gameplay itself isn't for everyone. Not everyone appreciates the nuance of a risk management game. I'm not sure a whole lot can be done about that.

The larger issue is that tabletop play takes too long. The design team should be taking a serious look at trimming 30 minutes from the game. It may be worth introducing optional rules to allow for 6 turns per half. I'd also nuke the "reposition" kick off results like Blitz!, Quick Snap, and Perfect Defense. The strategic value vs. time investment just isn't there IMO.

Right now BB competes for table space with X-Wing Miniatures, Frostgrave, etc. The commitment to a long term BB league + long play times is a tough sell. Just my 2 bits.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

EastCoast wrote: The larger issue is that tabletop play takes too long.
Then you are doing it wrong ;)
Speedbowl for the win :lol:

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

lunchmoney wrote:
EastCoast wrote: The larger issue is that tabletop play takes too long.
Then you are doing it wrong ;)
Speedbowl for the win :lol:
Lol, yes, or 1 minute turns would work as well. Holy smokes, pretty sure a couple coaches would have a stroke.

cornixt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cornixt »

If you really want to speed up the game then you'd be better cutting out the kick-off rolls completely, and therefore the weather too.

Cornixt
gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

Darkson wrote:
gjnoronh wrote:If they are ordering Spike why isn't there enough demand for a league locally? Maybe it's time to launch one? There are a lot of folks out there who love BB who aren't currently playing.
I 'ran' the stores Blitzmania II league, 10 coaches put their name down for it.

I won it by winning the only game played. :roll:

And no-one in ARBBL wants to play anymore (the few that did have all moved away in the last year or so).
Yech sorry to hear it. It's interesting me how regional Blood Bowl success is.

We've been boot strapping up a local league from nothing locally.
Lots who say they are interested but haven't gotten around to get a game.

I can't say we're an amazing model of success but this is what our approach was
1) Find a few (2-4) who can be there pretty regularly even 2 can be a core.
2) Pick a league night and be there regularly even if it's the same two guys each week - but let folks play other nights
3) Go with an open scheduling option - play as little or as much as you like no set schedule. Best two game results per week per coach count
4) Coaches run more then one team in the league - Play your "B" teams if you are the same two coaches two weeks in a row or if there is a mismatch on team value. Final league results are per coach not per team.
5) Advertise like crazy in local social media/stores and hope for the best.

What I find interesting is there are actually three or more leagues in Rochester NY right now. A group of guys playing just their friends at someone's house, a one game a month play anywhere league, and our largely store based league that plays weekly. (Obviously we'd like to but haven't succedded in pulling folks together.) I think there's a lot of Blood Bowl played in various cities particularly post 2016 that just never gets into league play.

I wonder if there are folks out there in your area at your store or other nearby stores or home play groups that would be possible to coalesce together.

MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

The effect lasts until your next turn Begins - (and can be voided by a Kick-off roll of Change the Weather) - so I'm assuming that the effect can carry over the end of a drive, or even the end of a half?
It appears to me that Weather Mage is a decent weapon against one turn score for just 30K. (Not a complaint, just noting it).
I mean Blizzard, Pouring Rain and Very Sunny (not so much Sweltering Heat) could all mess up an OTS.
I haven't seen an answer to this (maybe I missed it). Does the Weather mage effect carry over the end of a drive/half?

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

I like the content but am not happy with the quality of the digital version. Missing spaces between words is jarring but I can generally deal with it. The comic has words blurring together making it all but unreadable. Will probably plump for the real versions in future issues. Using the Gitden ap recommended by the Black Library.

Edit: I love the idea of Golden Era players. Should be fun trying to figure out who is coming out for different teams.

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

I'll pass that on 're the digital version. Not really my area but I can do that.

Glad you like it in general. I'm quite happy with GEA's. There won't but tonnes coming but it's very definitely something we'll be able to do plenty with. It's it's own permission to go a bit overboard really and I'll happily admit it came about because I did a draft of Kool's profile, read what I'd typed, and winced. Got some fun ones lined up for the future.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

JT-Y wrote:I'll pass that on 're the digital version. Not really my area but I can do that.

Glad you like it in general. I'm quite happy with GEA's. There won't but tonnes coming but it's very definitely something we'll be able to do plenty with. It's it's own permission to go a bit overboard really and I'll happily admit it came about because I did a draft of Kool's profile, read what I'd typed, and winced. Got some fun ones lined up for the future.

Thanks for passing on feedback. Indeed I think it would ruin the narrative if there were too many. It is nice seeing them stated up as comparing legends from one era to modern day is a common sports topic and it brings the all time greats to life a bit more.

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

Firstly thank you for another good publication, my loving wife picked it up for me yesterday but I haven't had chance to read it all through yet.

First impression, like the art, layout and rules additions, will keep coming back for more.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

Ok, finally got it. It is really great! Better even that Spike! 1. Please keep up the good work.

JT-Y One suggestion if there is time/interest: Maybe you guys could re-edit all the old fluff from 1st and 2nd Edition scattered through various manuals, etc in one publication? I guess it is not just reprinting it but also editing it to make sure everything matches. I would buy it for sure.

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

Had chance to read all of it now, needle is pushing more towards parody than cliché, so that is good.

Please do not use the "....and that's just the fans!" joke again. Lea & Herring took that joke out to pasture and then shot it in a section called "Lazy Slags of comedy" in about 1996. You are on notice!

And on another note, I keep seeing Sea Elves mentioned all over the place is that a hint of a new elven team to come?

I am a pro "fun" guy.
zebulon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zebulon »

MacHurto wrote:Ok, finally got it. It is really great! Better even that Spike! 1. Please keep up the good work.
+1.
Really great!

Ligue BN
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Exciting new star players and inducements. The new weather mage of Spike! 2 is more interesting (and cheaper) than that of Winter Bowl.

We're now up to 84 star players (official and semi-official), and I expect more to come in future Spikes! Maybe we'll reach 100?