Best and Worst Blood Bowl models ever

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Re: Best and Worst Blood Bowl models ever

Post by BillyDee »

Interested, fluff wise, why you think they should be big? Do you see them as normal humans that grew due to the mummification process, or as huge grotesques that were then mummified?
I understand that it helps mechanically that stronger players are bigger on the table top, but does that then mean that human catchers should be goblin sized?

Reason: ''
"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
ulvardar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ulvardar »

Is it really so hard to notice where mummies are? Ok, maybe a khemri vs. khemri team is a problem (that's what base rings and similar are designed for), but.... really? Can't you notice your only 2 players fully covered in bandages?

I'm on the human sized size, of course. No bandaging after death and use of chemicals will turn a corpse into a giant, even in a fantasy world. As an example, no khemri mummy character was much bigger than humans in the old warhammer setting.

Giant mummies is just an extra reason to hate the undead team. On the other hand, we still have to see the new undead team from GW, and see what they do.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

BillyDee wrote:Interested, fluff wise, why you think they should be big? Do you see them as normal humans that grew due to the mummification process, or as huge grotesques that were then mummified?
I understand that it helps mechanically that stronger players are bigger on the table top, but does that then mean that human catchers should be goblin sized?
Goblins are 1 Str away from standard. I would expect human catchers to be of slimmer build than the rest of the team. A Str4 player would be a slightly bigger than normal human size (check out the fat rat for comparison). Mummies are Str5, maybe comparable to Zug? I prefer big guys / Str5 players to be noticable bigger, but haven't thought about it. I like your two alternatives, but not sure I would go any of them. Normal sized mummies makes sense, but so does big size for Str5 players. I just don't have any logic for it. Maybe mummified Zug-sized players?

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

ulvardar wrote:No bandaging after death and use of chemicals will turn a corpse into a giant, even in a fantasy world.
You're not really arguing with realism while talking about Blood Bowl, are you?

Have you ever played World of Warcraft?
Bosses in Dungeouns or Raids are always much bigger, to the point of ridiculousness, just to make them easy to spot.
Why shouldn't that be done for a board game, too?

ulvardar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ulvardar »

Ooook, i understand there may be arguments for and against giant mummies....

You can even say warhammer is a different world than bb, and mummified players can grow in bb.

I don't know how hard is for people to notice mummies when playing, but having only 2 (maybe 4) in the pitch, usually clearly sculpted, doesn't sound so hard.

Let's get a graphic help

So.... in the good old fluff days, mummies weren't giants....

I also want to state I respect any opinion about it, despite I hate giant mummies will all my heart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Is the second player from the left in that picture a Zombie or a second Mummy?
I have played more than game vs Undead when those two positions were difficult to distinguish. Obviously that makes a huge difference when planning your turn!

I have to say that this happens most often with unpainted or partially painted models. But can also happen when both bandages and "zombie flesh/filthy kit" are both painted in various shades of tan and brown.

It's critical for any team that both you and your opponent be able to tell which figure represents what position. And that goes double for "non-standard" models!
So if having the Mummies be physically larger than other models in your team makes them easier to spot, I think that's a good thing and courteous to your opponent.

I can see how it would be irritating to purists.
I think a well-done compromise is for example the old GW Khemri boxed set:
Those Tomb Guards aren't physically much larger than the skeletons, but they're still very imposing and easy to spot.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

ulvardar wrote:
Didn't mummies count as 3 players back in 2nd edition when normal big guys counted as 2?

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

Just make sure they are noticeable. Or have games workshop to change the fluff so they are something else that is big.

What is the reason in the fluff for the Mummies big guy like stats?

ulvardar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ulvardar »

spubbbba wrote:
ulvardar wrote:
Didn't mummies count as 3 players back in 2nd edition when normal big guys counted as 2?

I have too many kids and too many years to remember that kind of details... :lol:

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

spubbbba wrote:
ulvardar wrote:
They did, but only took up one square, where big guys took up four.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

I've got a soft spot for the 2nd edition Wood Elf thrower models. I've only started playing Blood Bowl very recently but have been playing other GW games for years, so I remember when they were first released and thinking they were neat models :)

[img=800x500]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3U4AAOSw ... -l1600.jpg[/img]