Blood Bowl 7s

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

gumbi
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Blood Bowl 7s

Post by gumbi »

If there was an easy place / way to buy them it would be great.
How is everyone playing the kick skill and is it having a disproportionate effect on the game?
I dont foresee this being a problem... depends how you are handling kicks. I presume the lower of the rounded down results? Easier to just ban it.

One question that came up last night was we assume you must aim the kick behind the opponents line of scrimmage, but what happens if it scatters back into no-mans land? I didn't see anything from a brief review of the rules and our coaches were divided how you treat it. The CRP rules only specify that its a touch back if it moves into the kicking teams half / out.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

ARBBL BB7s pitch (small).jpg
Ignore the slight curl - some of it's due to the camera angle, some due to me not having unrolled it since the last 7s event (May?).

I 'think' Blocknroll got them from FFields, but I can't be 100% so you're better off asking him.

[Edit] He's corrected me on our Facebook page, so sure he won't mind me quoting it here:
Quick correction, the pitch is downloadable from NAF site, i worked out a % size difference from "old style" to "new Size" pitches and made the file X% bigger in photoshop and dropped your logo in on top. The printing was from https://www.pixartprinting.co.uk/ who do some very useful prices. Also a good place to get x-wing matts made, same sort of idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

gumbi wrote:One question that came up last night was we assume you must aim the kick behind the opponents line of scrimmage, but what happens if it scatters back into no-mans land? I didn't see anything from a brief review of the rules and our coaches were divided how you treat it. The CRP rules only specify that its a touch back if it moves into the kicking teams half / out.
We've always played it you just have to aim it outside your 'third', so the no-mans land is a perfectly good spot to aim it at.
Only a touchback if it ends in the kicking teams third.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

We also had the same question, and came up with the same results as Darkson & company....

Interestingly, with the small field, "kick" has (so far) proven unabusable.... Just wondered about others experiences....

Played a couple more 7s last night. The Professor and I were chewing the fat on how much more/less popular BB would be if 7s were the norm.... Strictly academic stuff, and feel free to opine.... :)

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

From the Albion 7s rules pack:
KICK-OFF: In Sevens, the ball is kicked as usual, but can be aimed into "no-man’s land". NB A touchback only happens if the ball goes off the pitch or back over the KICKING team's LOS
You don’t need to aim the kick into your opponent's third of the pitch.
Albion 7s were NAF-sanctioned, so the NAF seem happy with the above (if this is the intention it could perhaps be added to the NAF 7s pdf?).

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Digger Goreman wrote:The Professor and I were chewing the fat on how much more/less popular BB would be if 7s were the norm.... Strictly academic stuff, and feel free to opine.... :)
One of the biggest complaints I've heard about BB is the time it takes to play a full game (not one I agree with but...). Speedbowl is great (honest Lunchmoney!) but for most of my non-tournament games I like to be able to take my time on my turns, both to think and to chat (gaming is for me a social thing first and foremost). Perhaps BB7s should be promoted as an inntroduction to 'full' BB for people, then those that don't think they'll enjoy a 2+hr game can stay with 7s and those that will can move on to 11-a-side BB.

BUT... All the above is written without having actually played league BB7s, so a sizeable pinch of salt should be taken.
(Also, I mainly started with 2nd ed, so 2+hrs is nothing, and I also used to play 40k which would often take longer, so I don't have an issue with full BB and the time it takes.)

gumbi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gumbi »

Darkson wrote:From the Albion 7s rules pack:
KICK-OFF: In Sevens, the ball is kicked as usual, but can be aimed into "no-man’s land". NB A touchback only happens if the ball goes off the pitch or back over the KICKING team's LOS
You don’t need to aim the kick into your opponent's third of the pitch.
Albion 7s were NAF-sanctioned, so the NAF seem happy with the above (if this is the intention it could perhaps be added to the NAF 7s pdf?).
Couldn't this really kill slow teams? It could land 6 squares away from your player. I like our system that you must aim in the opponents 3rd and touch back if it goes out (impossible to go back into kickers half).

Maybe I am bias because I am taking nurgle... we mainly have low tier teams in our comp.

cornixt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cornixt »

Darkson wrote:
gumbi wrote:One question that came up last night was we assume you must aim the kick behind the opponents line of scrimmage, but what happens if it scatters back into no-mans land? I didn't see anything from a brief review of the rules and our coaches were divided how you treat it. The CRP rules only specify that its a touch back if it moves into the kicking teams half / out.
We've always played it you just have to aim it outside your 'third', so the no-mans land is a perfectly good spot to aim it at.
Only a touchback if it ends in the kicking teams third.
We've played that you have to aim into the opponents third, but it is okay if it ends up in no-mans-land (not a touchback).

Cornixt
cornixt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cornixt »

Darkson wrote:
Digger Goreman wrote:The Professor and I were chewing the fat on how much more/less popular BB would be if 7s were the norm.... Strictly academic stuff, and feel free to opine.... :)
One of the biggest complaints I've heard about BB is the time it takes to play a full game (not one I agree with but...). Speedbowl is great (honest Lunchmoney!) but for most of my non-tournament games I like to be able to take my time on my turns, both to think and to chat (gaming is for me a social thing first and foremost). Perhaps BB7s should be promoted as an inntroduction to 'full' BB for people, then those that don't think they'll enjoy a 2+hr game can stay with 7s and those that will can move on to 11-a-side BB.
Inspired by whatever Blitz Bowl is going to be and how good BB7s currently is, I've been poking around a ruleset for a 6-a-side version of Blood Bowl that can be played without needing a special field and has a lot of the more time-consuming parts removed. Working title is Half-blood Bowl. It's probably pointless at this stage, but it's a fun exercise at least.

Cornixt
E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

I've done the same as the described above - downloaded the free NAF image and resize it to meet the new squares. Then I've printed in on vinyl - it costs about 3.5 euro in a local print shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Necro this thread a little to ask how people value rerolls? When you allow them, do you pay double and carry the value double (as we do) or do it like in the regular game and pay double but carry it on the books at base price? And, do you double the double for added rerolls (we dont) if you allow them?

How do you handle the kick skill? We allow halving of the lowest die... but seems powerful....

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Digger Goreman wrote:Necro this thread a little to ask how people value rerolls?
Perhaps put a limit on the amount of re-rolls a team can have? I think one of the best things about 7s is the limited re-rolls, so anything to make getting them more difficult would be the way to go, for me. Otherwise you'd put teams that were able to build up big treasuries (high AV teams) at a major advantage when compared to the more fragile teams who would have to shell out for players more often.

(I assumed you were talking about league 7s when reading this.)
Digger Goreman wrote:How do you handle the kick skill?
Perhaps just let the coach pick from the two dice rolled, instead of halving the distance?

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

We don't allow any rerolls at all in league.

Kick works as normal, meaning it modifies the lower die.

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

We made kick simply mean that you choose the higher or the lower dice roll, it doesn't adjust otherwise.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Prof used kor tonight :o in sevens....