What new content have you played?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

What new content have you tried?

Weather/Pitch rules (Winter, Frozen, Subterranean, Waterlogged, Corsair, Chaos, Nurgle's Garden)
5%
Blitzmania 1 Kick-off table
2%
Star Players (new, experimental, Golden Era)
8%
Special Plays (new cards)
7%
Special Play variants (Points System, Card Draft, single deck only)
5%
Wizards (Horatio, Chaos, Hireling, Druchii, Horticulturalist)
9%
(In)Famous Coaching Staff (Fink, Galandril, Papa, Krot, Kari)
8%
Experimental inducements (Whaaagh! Drummer, Runesmith, Warlock, Master of Ballistics)
1%
Various other inducements (Assistant Coaches, Cheerleaders, Weather Mage, Plague Doctor, Cavorting Nurglings)
5%
Stadiums (Unusual Playing Surface, Rough & Ready, Luxury, Local Crowd)
5%
Stadiums (Becoming Residents, Purchase/Permanent)
5%
Rostered Star Players
5%
Sponsorships (One-time, ongoing, Major)
5%
Match Events
1%
Special Balls (Spiky, Limpin' Squig, Warpstone, Master-hewn, Shady Special, Explodin', Snotling Ball-suit, Daemonic, Orb, Draconic, Cold One Hide, Greedy Nurgling, Pustulent Sac, Soulstone)
3%
Experimental teams (Slayer team, Savage Orcs, Human Nobility, Pestilent Vermin)
3%
Hall of Fame teams (Bright Crusaders, Warpfile Wandereres, Orcland Raiders, Chaos All-Stars, Greenboyz, Underworld Creepers, Grudge Bearers)
0%
Goblin & Halfling Referee
1%
Famous Referees (Trundlefoots, Jorm, Thoron, Ranulf)
3%
Other
1%
Have played new content and enjoyed it
9%
Have played new content and neither enjoyed or disliked it
4%
Have played new content and disliked it
1%
Have not played new content
4%

Total votes: 239

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

What new content have you played?

Post by Baxx »

Since the official relaunch of Blood Bowl in November 2016, we have seen a wide array of new content (this is mainly about the new rules content). It would be interesting to see some distribution of usage and response (in a simplified poll), how much is played and whether you liked it or not. Tick of multiple options as you see fit!

PS: Your votes are not limited by the examples listed in the parentheses.

Reason: ''
Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What new content have you played?

Post by Glamdryn »

Too many options to really give you much valid info from this poll, I fear.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

I love the stadium rules so much, those are my favourite new variants! Had some unique games on the uneven pitch or the one where the trapdoors are pits.

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

Deathrain wrote:I love the stadium rules so much, those are my favourite new variants! Had some unique games on the uneven pitch or the one where the trapdoors are pits.

We just had a match with the trapdoors considered sidelines. We ruled that the trapdoor has to be the only open spot left to push just like sideline to be considered off the pitch.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Glamdryn wrote:Too many options to really give you much valid info from this poll, I fear.
Agree. That's probably part of the struggle though - there's so much new stuff that it's hard to track it all! Also, to keep it fair in leagues, you'd need everyone to know the new rules, which would mean every coach needed access to a copy of all the Spike! magazines.

In our league, SAWBBL, the rules have remained largely unchanged from the CRP.

We use Wizards (Horatio and the 'old' one, don't think anyone's bothered with any of the new kinky ones like Druchii, Horticulturalist etc. though), (In)Famous Coaching Staff, Assistant Coaches & Cheerleaders (which we've always had for 20k), and the Weather Mage (think I'm the only one who's taken him though, and he was useless).

We've not really had much firm guidance from the commissioner (Sann0638) on the new stuff, but that's probably more to the avalanche of updates that we're getting from all over the place than him being negligent.

Beyond that, it just looks like a massive admin exercise to keep track of things like sponsorship, rostered stars, stadiums etc.

We also don't use the redrafting process which I'm particularly thankful for as it just looks a complete ballache to fiddle about with!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

I played in the HEBBL last season and it was my first time playing in a league using the 2016 rules. Stadiums, rostered star players, special play cards, the lot.

There actually wasn't that much extra that you need to do - you just have a few extra rolls at the start and end of a game. OBBLM isn't set up to handle this - but at the HEBBL admins run it all on pen & paper/Excel then it wasn't too much of an issue.

It did make the games a lot more random but they were fun to play.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Thanks for response. What could be interesting to know is what specific new content is more/less popular and enjoyable. Sorry if this poll was too big or didn't cover the motivation behind it well enough.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I like the poll, and having hosted a number of them...it can be a challenge at times. ;)

I ticked "Other" and count having played Blitz Bowl as our Other. It's definitely a different game, but fun in it's own way.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Yeah you can include Blitz Bowl as other if you want.

Another motivation for the poll is a little bit more complicated. I enjoy most of the new and some times random content released here and there. Most of the stuff released the first year is collected in the Almanac (but not everything, like Blitzmania kick-off and app experimental teams, star players and match events). I've pretty much enjoyed all of it and the attention invested and generated out of it. But has it become a tad too much? Have anyone actually been able to try it all out? I tried keeping up, testing most stuff as it was released (my group don't have any organizer, we just play loosely with whatever rules we want in an eternal league). But even then there's still loads of new content lately we haven't even got time to test! And there's more to come. So far there's been almost 150 special play cards. Do we need another deck for the rest of the teams? We got all kinds of stadium rules. Do we need more? Then there are numerous inducements, wizards...

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I think it would be pretty mind numbing to try and include everything.

In other games ( I played a lot of RPGs), when rules became more and more complex as new books came out, we would become more and more selective. Often the rules were focused around a specific character class or something, similar to how pitches arenas are a bit race specific. I wouldn't use a Dark Elf pitch in a tourney where there are no Dark Elves for example. Also, if I was the league organizer, I would make it the coaches responsibility to know the specifics of special balls, star players, and pitches available for their team. If something doesn't sound right, that's where I would step in to review those rules and make a decision.