practicality of the Dark Elf board

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

practicality of the Dark Elf board

Post by Skitters »

Took the Dark Elf board as a last minute grab and go on my way to stranglebowl on Saturday.

Used it with my second and third game and we all agreed that whilst it is a lovely looking board, the square markings are really difficult to make out - particularly in the central stretch from end zone to end zone.

It had sat in it's packaging since it had arrived on release, so I'd not checked its practicality....though im not sure why i should have thought that was required for an official GW board!

Whilst it would probably not look quite so lovely, I think the markings would have been better as red crosses to contrast more with the image.

Debating now whether to consign it to the shelf of neglect, or to try colouring the board....

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: practicality of the Dark Elf board

Post by lunchmoney »

I think that of most (if not all) of the BB'16 scale pitches from GW.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Skitters wrote:I'd not checked its practicality....though im not sure why i should have thought that was required for an official GW board!
I'm not sure practicality is always at the forefront of the designers' minds - just look at the size of the Deathroller and several sets of the dice that are practically illegible from across a table, for example!

I don't necessarily agree with Al that most (if not all) of the new pitches are a nuisance, but it does seem that the more interesting the pitch is (Goblins, Dark Elf, Skaven, Winter etc.), the harder it is to read the markings. I'm not sold on the new EuroBowl pitch for similar reasons, as it's a bit 'busy' in places.

For me, the Dwarf pitch and the Human side of the box game pitch, are the safest options. I quite like the Dark Elf one for the rules but, as you say, it's just too open to misinterpretation.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Ok my comment was a bit broad. I've played on the boxed set, dwarf, skaven and dark elf, from memory. Maybe the goblins...
The only ones where I had zero issues in following the squares was where the owner had gone over the markings with a marker pen. That strikes me that something is wrong with the design.

I can't comment on the rules as I've never read them.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

TBH, even with the pitch from the box set I only use one side as the Orc side is too complex to see the markings. The dwarf pitch side from that box is good but the skaven side is a shocker. I've not bought any other pitches as they're so confusing I can't use them.

Crazyginge
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crazyginge »

I bought the nurgle one,and although I've not had a proper in depth look at it,it seems ok,at least no worse than the boxed game one.

Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Genghis »

Haven't had a proper look at the newer boards yet, but the worst for me thus far has been the Skaven pitch. Played one game on it, never again.

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

I pretty much play exclusively with the Human pitch to tell you the truth. I likes me pitches vanilla.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

Picked up the Skaven pitch with the dice and team. Thankfully the Dwarf pitch was on it as it was too tough otherwise. Happy to have the dug outs. May go over the markings to see if it helps. The dice have similar issues but I have old white ones.

In terms of playability the models also have issues with tails going everywhere. The models are truly lovely but I know some who love the models but won't touch new GW models as they are worried about playability.

I think a lot has gone well with the new releases but I think some of the pieces didn't see enough play time before release.

In fairness the new undead models look better from that regard, as do the dice. Haven't looked at the pitch but someone mentioned the Nurgle one is good.

Maybe they are learning from feedback in this regard?

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

The Dwarf is great and clear, the Skaven is not.

Half of the Dark Elf pitch is ok, I think? The underwater one is not clear.

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

I really wanted to like the new GW pitches and even purchased all of them up to the soon-to-be-released Undead pitch, but I can't see myself buying anymore unless they make the markings clearer. I went to the Underworld Cup tournament in November and bought this great pitch made by Maelstrom Gaming Mats. So very hard to go back to the GW pitches after playing on this one.

Current standard size squares and made from mouse pad/neoprene with stitched edges.
$75 vs GW's $62
Stitched edges vs GW Not stitched
Dugout included vs GW not
Tables and throw-in table vs GW not
Ships from Canada vs GW UK
Easily visible markings vs GW not

Underworld pitch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JetSwan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by JetSwan »

Might be worth getting out a ruler and using a sharpie to help define those little cross hairs in the squares corners. I know some may view it as sacrilege but I can't tell you how much more difficult the faintly defined squares make the game for me. Having difficulty concentrating is tough, having difficulty concentrating and having to constantly recount movement is enough to really just exhaust what little mental health energy I have.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I've the Elf Union one and that's fairly easy on the eye. Not quite up to Dwarvern standard but as good as Vanilla Human one.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.