Orc booster back

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Orc booster back

Post by zulu »

I really don't understand all the commotion over this pack. Yes it would have been nice to have the 4th blitzer, but you dont. Instead you get a variation of the thrower. You already have access to a 4th blitzer pose in Varag Ghoul-Chewer. Just use that. Of course that might affect the 1 in 100 games where you will use the star player Varag, but I think that is a very minor issue.

Reason: ''
TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

zulu wrote:I really don't understand all the commotion over this pack. Yes it would have been nice to have the 4th blitzer, but you dont. Instead you get a variation of the thrower. You already have access to a 4th blitzer pose in Varag Ghoul-Chewer. Just use that. Of course that might affect the 1 in 100 games where you will use the star player Varag, but I think that is a very minor issue.
I use Varag Ghoul-Chewer as Varag Ghoul-Chewer. How do you include Varag if he's already one of your 4 blitzers?

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Christy42 wrote: The Skaven team works quite well in this regard and putting in extra skellies with the Undead is great. I think the latest range of GW models have been great quality. This is just something that did get missed.

It is annoying for me as I don't want to explain to friends I am trying to get into the game that they need to double up on sets they have already both simply for the 4th blitzer. I reckon that may be a killer as the guy interested in Orcs is not a massive fan of conversions.
Skaven booster is excellent! Buy the box + booster + rat ogre and you got a complete team that will last for decades. It's just a matter of how many positionals each team has and that stupid rule of forge world that each position must be included in the booster, and there can be no more than 4 minis.

I've heard a lot of talk about conversions, and I'm no stranger to conversions myself. Orcs are particularly easy to convert (together with chaos), but humans would be more of a challenge. Are there any examples of successful conversions for orcs or humans to make this argument viable? And I'm not talking about any cool conversions made 5 years ago, I'm talking about conversions for the Human and Orc BB2016 teams to make it a proper "full roster".

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

TopsyKretts wrote:Are there any examples of successful conversions for orcs or humans to make this argument viable? And I'm not talking about any cool conversions made 5 years ago, I'm talking about conversions for the Human and Orc BB2016 teams to make it a proper "full roster".
There's quite a few things out there if you give it a Google. I think the simplest method for representing Orc Blitzers would be to add their plumes to some linemen as per this pic. For BOBs, you could just add the toothed 40k jaw plate bits, which the proper BOBs are sporting. That and them being a darker green should be more than enough to distinguish them. For Human Blitzers, some winged bits to mimic their larger helmet fin (example here) should be more than adequate.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

That orc photo was a nice example and a successful conversion in my opinion. When I'm critical of the booster pack(s), I'm not really arguing from a stand-point that you can't get by with easy things like swapping a head piece. If you want to get by, you sure can do so, as you say with simple stuff or even just paint them differently. My criticism is rather from a point where you want something uniquely sculpted/posed and in line with the rest of the team. So no body swapping, using same pose as a more common line model. And no adding 2 orruk brutes as black orcs for example. I wouldn't mind playing anyone who made simple modifications like these, and I can agree with some proper paint job they'll look good too. But I want something that could compete with forge world, or else it's not a valid excuse (also in my opinion).