The future of GW support

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

The future of GW support

Post by nyahoi »

Once all teams have finally been released, what do we think will happen? Will they stop supporting the game again, or will we start seeing brand new teams?
I'm sure a certain number of people would hate that, but I doubt that just churning out new optional rules, stars and upgrade kits would be enough for GW to justify hanging around!

But I've no idea what I'm talking about, so what do others think!? :D

Reason: ''
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Re: The future of GW support

Post by Christy42 »

On the current schedule it would be about 6 years at 4 teams a year.

Maybe let the game run for a but longer and then decide that the human / Orc models are out of date with the then modelling technology I guess.

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

New versions of teams would be one option (particularly the currently Spikeless early releases)

A new version of Dungeonbowl would also be an option.

Always room for more star players, coaching staff - though these bits seem to fall into FW remit.

I kind of think there would be room for some alternate sets that use the current rules too: undead Orc/Dwarf/Skaven zombies/skeletons , Tzentch/slanesh themed Chaos chosen, Human sets for teams from Albany, Bretonnia, Kislev etc

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I wouldn't be surprised if GW themselves don't 100% know yet. Their current release of 4 Spikes a year seems to be a different model to the initial plan of Death Zones. I have been to talks in the past where Andy Hoare has mentioned Dungeonbowl so it would be easy to see that appear at some point. At the moment though the 4 teams a year set up seems like such a winner that they can plan that out for the next 2 - 3 years and not worry about making further decisions until later.

I for one would not be adverse to seeing new teams, not everyone's cup of tea I know. In my mind if there are, then the other Chaos gods would be a good place to start with that. That said, if Andy Hoare was stuck for ideas (unlikely) and were to call me (he doesn't have my number . . . he keeps on asking but I have to say no otherwise I am sure he'd be asking me constantly!) then I would like to see Hobgoblins have their own team. The Hobgoblin team is in the fluff and I think you could do a lot with their particular kind of back stabbing fun.

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

We plan at least five years into the future, so yes, we know what the future holds Wobert.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

For your 5 year plan you can stick in that I will buying at least one of every team box, and every spike, I will not be buying any pitches (I like the building side of the hobby so will make my own) and I probably have enough dice but won't say never. As for forge world stuff if it was a little easier to get hold of in the US I would probably get a few things, otherwise I might have to get it sent to my mums back in Blighty.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

I'm quite excited to see any potential new teams - even if they're White Dwarf / online only teams (such as the Necromunda Genestealer Cult rules).

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

JT-Y wrote:We plan at least five years into the future, so yes, we know what the future holds Wobert.
Fair enough . . . I work for a company that struggle to plan beyond the end of next week so its refreshing to see somewhere a little different.

So . . . if there is a 5 year plan that means you can tell us which team is next right . . . . ? :)

Yes I know. . . . . you could but most likely won't.

But go on . . . .

Nobody will know!

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Nice question, I think there have been hints that they might be interested in new teams once all the original teams are released. I'm guessing that's where they would go.

Re-releasing 2016/2017 teams is intriguing, alongside Spike! magazines for those teams. I'm not sure how compelled I would feel to buy miniatures of re-released teams though. Perhaps if the sculpts were significantly better, I'd be persuaded. Poses would have to be different, and maybe fix issues like the fragile tails on the Skaven. I don't know.

I'd be pretty curious to see what sort of new teams would make their way into the game. I still think the anti-Finesse Snake team on Fumbbl (positions with lots of Prehensile Tail), is a really interesting one and surprised something along those lines had never popped up before. I'd also love to see minis for a Brettonian team. It's hard to fathom what might just happen.

At any rate, I'm sure GW will be around one way or another.

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

Sea Elves, because they just keep getting mentioned everywhere in all the books!

I am a pro "fun" guy.
CH1LLYD0GG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CH1LLYD0GG »

GW will support as long as its making £££

There is a lot more leg room for growth than in the old days, which means a greater chance of continued support.

Won't be surprised if it gets dropped in a few years for a couple of years, but it will reappear fir a 7th edition easy.

Stig
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Stig »

I'd love to see alternate versions of the existing teams with a different take on each. I imagine there are design decisions about the look of each team and I guess somewhere there are alternatives that dont get selected for production. Id love to see these alternatives, as a lot of us are collectors, and would like to have more than one of each team. Most of us have several versions of each team (I've got 5 chaos teams..) and if the teams are good they'd be great fun to paint.

Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

My next five years of blood bowl would be...

2019 - Wood Elves, Halfling, Norse, Vampires
2020 - Amazons, Lizardmen, Ogres, Necromantic
2021 - High Elves, Chaos Dwarves, Slann, Khemri

Complete rulebook (all teams and rules in one place)
Bretonnians/Humans, usable as humans with optional rules for Bretonnians, Human Spike! Magazine
Savage Orcs/Orcs, usable as orcs with optional rules for Savage Orcs, Orc Spike! magazine
Underworld with mutation sprue, Underworld Spike! magazine
Chaos pact with mutations sprue, Chaos Pact Spike!

Dungeon Bowl (50 minutes version of Blood Bowl)
Organised play for Dungeon Bowl
Mixed teams for half the Colleges of Magic with new models usable in Blood Bowl
Spike! for Elves, Dwarves (and Dungeon Bowl), Goblins, Skaven

Remaining mixed College teams

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

Long_Bomb wrote:My next five years of blood bowl would be...

2019 - Wood Elves, Halfling, Norse, Vampires
2020 - Amazons, Lizardmen, Ogres, Necromantic
2021 - High Elves, Chaos Dwarves, Slann, Khemri

Complete rulebook (all teams and rules in one place)
Bretonnians/Humans, usable as humans with optional rules for Bretonnians, Human Spike! Magazine
Savage Orcs/Orcs, usable as orcs with optional rules for Savage Orcs, Orc Spike! magazine
Underworld with mutation sprue, Underworld Spike! magazine
Chaos pact with mutations sprue, Chaos Pact Spike!

Dungeon Bowl (50 minutes version of Blood Bowl)
Organised play for Dungeon Bowl
Mixed teams for half the Colleges of Magic with new models usable in Blood Bowl
Spike! for Elves, Dwarves (and Dungeon Bowl), Goblins, Skaven

Remaining mixed College teams

Ditch the Slann and stick the complete rulebook in for Christmas 2021 seems the more realistic. All though the main reason for GW's objection with the Slann is gone. The issue was that they didn't fit into WFB fluff right? Well none of this fits in with Age of Sigmar so who cares about letting the WFB fluff slip a bit since it is no longer really in use. I guess Slann are still the fat frogs in AOS but still.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Christy42 wrote: Ditch the Slann and stick the complete rulebook in for Christmas 2021 seems the more realistic. All though the main reason for GW's objection with the Slann is gone. The issue was that they didn't fit into WFB fluff right? Well none of this fits in with Age of Sigmar so who cares about letting the WFB fluff slip a bit since it is no longer really in use. I guess Slann are still the fat frogs in AOS but still.
My money would be on them using that Cyanide Kislev team instead of Slann.