Blitz Bowl play through

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Blitz Bowl play through

Post by faust_33 »

I know I promised some time back that I would write up my thoughts on Blitz Bowl. Well, we finally got a decent chunk of time to get some games in during the winter break. I've put up a post about this on my blog:

https://doubledowndice.wordpress.com/20 ... litz-bowl/

In short, the game has really grown on me. Maybe it's just easier for someone dealing with the busy lifestyle of being a parent, but I didn't find it to be quite fun and meets that Blood Bowl itch better than Blood Bowl Team Manager did.

Also of potential interest, I created a 3-player board and snapped some pics of that. Adding a third player took required no real effort, other than figuring out the board. I was surprised at how seamless that was.

Anyways, check it out and feel free to let me know what you think.

I know that it still sucks that it [Blitz Bowl] isn't widely available. Hopefully they will address that some day. :(

Reason: ''
Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Blitz Bowl play through

Post by Piousman »

Interesting write-up, thank you!

I assume this is an official GW product also.

I would be interested in its potential as the gateway game to introduce new players to BloodBowl, since the mechanics are so similar (and yet so different).

- Punk

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

After generally favorable reviews by people, I think I will be picking up a copy, hopefully I can use it as a gateway drug on my children.....

I am a pro "fun" guy.
gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

Thanks for the great review.

I talked about some of my experiences in a previous thread

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45140

Big hit amongst my non BB experienced family members (particularly including my wife who has NO blood bowl interest at all until Blitz Bowl)

I took it to a BB tournament I was running as a Saturday night thing to try out and it had mixed reviews. Newer coaches (say 2 years of play and under) were pretty excited about it more serious tournament goers/longer term coaches weren't as excited. I think on explanation is the 'hey that doesn't work like it does in BB' really threw some of the longer timers for a loop. The less ingrained the BB rules were the easier it was to adjust.

I think it's a good gateway drug as noted my wife really was interested and has refused to touch Blood Bowl prior. But it also has some value for it's wide spread accessability (inside of the 2 countries that get it!) even if it just gets some bookstore customers who would never set foot in a gaming store to pick it up and then wonder how they can get the other teams who have rules included but not miniatures.

I think one of the struggles of BB in general is the time investment and the way once a game is being lost it can be a slow grind without much hope of even a tie (say you are up by 2 touchdowns against a non AG4 team by turn 12-13.) That's a hard experience for the less committed player who is deciding whether or not come back for another game in the future. This game doesn't have that feel and with less rules density feels less intimidating to the newer coaches.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Thanks all! We had fun with it, and I'm glad I was able to get impressions written down finally.

@gjnoronh: Yea, I have a lot of the same feelings about it. Knowing Blood Bowl like I do, the first couple games were rough for me. I had to rethink strategies, but in the end I found it pretty interesting. I also think that Blood Bowl can be pretty crushing for first time players. Modern games tend to keep all players involved in the game in their off turn, and have mechanics built in to keep the scores neck and neck throughout much of the game. Plus are quicker overall.

I still love Blood Bowl, but it's been hard to get it to the table. We have to plan it out and make time for it, whereas I can break out Blitz Bowl just about any night. But Blood Bowl has campaign play and greater risks/rewards. So I guess for me, it's Blood Bowl when I can find the time, and Blitz Bowl when I want something quicker.

EDIT: Just checked out your post. Yea, you should try making a 3-player board. Then, you and and your wife and son, can have a lot of fun with it! :D

Arclight
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Arclight »

Great read. Loved the three way board! I shared your post over on the Blitz Bowl Facebook page. I'm sure some there will also appreciate your work. Cheers!

Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/blitzbowl/

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Thanks Arclight!