Slaanesh team to fill the leap gap perhaps?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Slaanesh team to fill the leap gap perhaps?

Post by Skitters »

Just a thought, but would a Slaanesh team be a potential long term candidate to have a leap and very long legs rich team?

The reaction to Kislev as proxies im BB2 seemed a little mixed at best. Slann themselves seem an unlikely GW option.

So - to preserve the roster - would a Chaos team devoted to excess obsession explain the quirky roster and the very long legs?

would it be too jarring that additional mutations are not available....or would it be too horrendous if the Slann roster also had M access?

Reason: ''
ulvardar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Slaanesh team to fill the leap gap perhaps?

Post by ulvardar »

You mean like slann?

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

I mean that as the Slann would seem to be a race that GW will not revisit, but because the roster encourages a different game play style I'm wondering if a Slaanesh team could be used to fill the roster (when GW have released all the current rosters)

Kislev was the answer in BB2 though for many people there was a bit of a disconnect of humans having very long legs. That could be more easily explained with a Chaos team, but the inevitable question then would be why would other mutations not be available.

With both Slaanesh and Kislev teams it's also not particular clear why there would be no thrower position...though I kind of think it is more glaring with a human variant than a Chaos variant [...though you could call a Slaanesh thrower the "Seeker of key passes"]

king_ghidra
Experienced
Experienced

Post by king_ghidra »

Skitters wrote:Just a thought, but would a Slaanesh team be a potential long term candidate to have a leap and very long legs rich team?

I think that works
would it be too jarring that additional mutations are not available....

yeah that wouldn't make sense for a 'chaos' team
would it be too horrendous if the Slann roster also had M access?
Would slann blitzers with claw break the game? doubt it. catchers with big hand/two heads etc. gutter runners already can, they're not op.

It's a nice idea imho. Though Kislev has grown on me I must admit. The bear as krox w/prehensile tail doesn't quite make sense though.

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

You could also limit mutations a bit. Slaanesh are not crazy on mutations so you could limit to positionals/doubles if needed for balance.

What would the names be? I feel like the linemen nearly should be a step up from cultists to all have long legs but not sure of going the demonic khorne route.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

The roster was created to be Slann....it's a Slann roster. It's describing frogmen that are above average humanoids. It's a direct translation of the Slann 2nd ed roster. I get your point and yeah Slaanesh would be far better as they are not standard humans. However if they want a leap roster, they should start again.

I really think the 'yeah but it's a tried and tested roster and proven to be not broken' argument is fairly pointless. It really isn't that difficult at this stage of the game to make rosters that are balanced.

gumbi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gumbi »

I know this is probably a waste of time as GW won't read it, but daemons of tzeentch might be a better fit. Low-ish strength jumping about.

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

JT-Y seems to be about a decent chunk. If nothing else I am sure he will note that there is interest in a leap roster. Not sure if that will lead anywhere but it will likely be seen by a GW employee.

It still seems forced to me. Would all Slaanesh cultists have long legs? I mean they could but if I was to design a Slaanesh roster I would not start out with long legs and leap. Similar for Tzeentch.

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

JT-Y is massively against Slann in Blood Bowl. For whatever reason, appears to be because Slann in WHFB were only fat toads, not the athletic younger ones in the BB Universe. If he was keen for their roster to be modded to some other race I expect it would have been. In his own words, that horse is dead.
Which is a shame as they offer a unique play style, and the fluff for them in the BB Universe is strong. But given how badly the BB reboot could have gone (Necromunda?), I guess we have to be grateful that someone cares, even if they don't care about Slann...

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

BillyDee wrote: For whatever reason, appears to be because Slann in WHFB were only fat toads, not the athletic younger ones in the BB Universe.
Incorrect. The original Slann (i.e. the lithe jumpy ones) were in WFB from at least 3rd edition (or maybe earlier, I don't have 1st or 2nd) and were ported into BB from there.
Fat Slann were a later addition, when they became the leader of lizard armies, rather than an army that had access to lizards.

Most 2nd ed era Slann teams are made using that eras WFB Slann figures.
http://www.solegends.com/citc/c032slann/

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

JT-Y is a professional writer who works to a brief provided by his employer. If I'm asked to write about Slann and create rules for them, I'll do that.

Hang on... I've done that. It's literally contained in the Lizardmen Spike! Journal.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

JT-Y wrote:JT-Y is a professional writer who works to a brief provided by his employer. If I'm asked to write about Slann and create rules for them, I'll do that.

Hang on... I've done that. It's literally contained in the Lizardmen Spike! Journal.
like-button-vector-552699.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

Fair enough...

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

BillyDee wrote:JT-Y is massively against Slann in Blood Bowl. For whatever reason, appears to be because Slann in WHFB were only fat toads, not the athletic younger ones in the BB Universe. If he was keen for their roster to be modded to some other race I expect it would have been. In his own words, that horse is dead.
Which is a shame as they offer a unique play style, and the fluff for them in the BB Universe is strong. But given how badly the BB reboot could have gone (Necromunda?), I guess we have to be grateful that someone cares, even if they don't care about Slann...
I would suspect races not yet official come last. That is how I would do it. So if the decision was made to make Slaanesh the new Slann then I would suspect that they would be after all the main races are done.

Obviously I have no evidence they are coming either. Just that it is a (low) possibility. Anyway they have read the thread though I doubt they are changing their 5 year plan (or whatever it was, definitely longer than they need to make all races).

Have we had fluff for BB Slann after the Lizardmen came along, even unofficial to deal with the fat coaches of Lizardmen and the team itself?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

@BillyDee The slann list of now, is a pretty good translation of the slann list of 2nd ed BB. Not just the player types, but the skills too.

@Darkson Slann appeared as a race before 2nd ed Warhammer 1986/7 but not as a full playable race (I don't think). Either as an add on or unofficial (probably as roleplaying characters). They didn't appear in 2nd ed Warhammer at all (even though figures predated 2nd ed warhammer). And then became a full playable race in 3rd ed warhammer, and had a proper list when 3rd ed 'armies' came out, with proper troop types and personality.

It wasn't until 1995ish (when GW wanted to cash in on Jurassic Park) that they were officially culled in favour of lizards.

My opinion is that the roster was tailor made for Slann. Each description was based off of a slann characteristic. So why would you try to bolt these characteristics onto something else? In fact even trying to is totally BS.

You want a slaanesh list? That's fine, I'm ok with that. Just make a slaanesh list not a replacement for slann pretending to be different. I think specific chaos lists are crying out for bespoke skills and traits. Something to make them their own; rather than square pegs trying to fit into round holes (which is what happened with Khorne).

As a side note. I remember making mixed race teams in 2nd ed and rolling a lot of slann (good) and chaos dwarfs (bad). My local shop didn't have them so I trekked up to London to get the figures. They said 'well slann figures exist for BB, but the CDs don't, you'll have to order them from Nottingham. So I phoned Nottingham and they got pretty angry at the information I was given. That CDs existed and the Slann I'd have to go 40k or Fantasy. The fantasy had weapons that could be removed easily, but the 40 slann had nice shoulder pads." As I had shoulder pads from my shot and pointless attempt at 40k, I went for the fantasy figures and added ork shoulder pads..........and started a CD collection that I still own and cost far too much money.

TLDR: You want Slaanesh, make Slaanesh roster with skills (new or old) suited to Slaanesh, cuz they ain't frogs.