What do you like about the current edition of BB

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

What is your Favourite thing about BB2016

Oh god, not again!
3%
I like the new miniatures
16%
They mostly left the rules alone
21%
New Star Players to choose
8%
No more CLPOMB
5%
Current game = new coaches joining
22%
New inducements to change things up
4%
Spike! Magazine
12%
All the optional rules like in DZ2 and on the pitches.
5%
Redrafting rules.
4%
Special play cards
2%

Total votes: 226

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

What do you like about the current edition of BB

Post by Mystic Force »

So it is that time again when I get curious about what my fellow coaches feel about the game that is Bloodbowl. So what do like about this edition? That they mostly didn't touch it, that we got new toys to play with, it becomes more accessible to new players?

Anyway intrested to see your thoughts.

Reason: ''
I am a pro "fun" guy.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: What do you like about the current edition of BB

Post by rolo »

I like that the game is still mostly the same game we've known and loved. And while some of the new, optional rules are sort of questionable or non-relevant, I do think that the new MVP rule is a massive improvement. Having an MVP go to a journeyman always kind of sucked.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
thatguylofty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thatguylofty »

As a returning player, I'm a huge fan of the new models. Over 20 years ago I was the proud owner and coach of a 3rd edition Skaven team, and the difference in quality compared to now is immense. It used to be the case that a plastic mini meant lack of detail over metal, now it is clearly a non issue. The poses and overall feel of the models is so much more fun and dynamic, making them a pleasure to paint.

Aside from that, I seem to be picking up the rules again pretty swiftly. At one point I could speak fluent 3rd edition, and the game seems so far to be extremely close to how I remember. There's a lot of stuff that is initially confusing to me (as I either never used it or can't remember it), but nothing that stops me from playing the game. Inducements are fun, but no show stopper if they are ignored!

I know from reading on this site and others that there are more seasoned players out there who are less than impressed with almost everything, but from the point of view of a new/born again player, I'm really enjoying the whole package so far.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Only 3 choices? I could have ticked off almost all.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

rolo wrote:I do think that the new MVP rule is a massive improvement. Having an MVP go to a journeyman always kind of sucked.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I house-ruled that change back out - if you take JM, Mercs or Stars I feel you should run the risk of losing the MVP. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

Darkson wrote:
rolo wrote:I do think that the new MVP rule is a massive improvement. Having an MVP go to a journeyman always kind of sucked.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I house-ruled that change back out - if you take JM, Mercs or Stars I feel you should run the risk of losing the MVP. ;)
On the whole I agree with Darkson on this, the rule in its self is bad for the game. It makes skilling certain players - Saurus, Golems, etc... far too easy and cheap now, you used to have to work for that, and play tactically to get them the required spp, adding greater tactical complexities to games at times. However the new rule does "fix" somethings that were wrong with previous editions namely dead/injured players receiving MVP, or Star players. Maybe even mercs to a lesser extent, though this one never bothered me, as I found it characterful when they received MVP and you hired them in to your team, it also added some decision making as a coach on how you will spend your money which is a good rpg element that has now been removed.

If the rule had changed to pick 6 players and roll, I think it would be fine. Or even if it was still random but discounted any players that suffered an injury worse than MNG, as well as discounting star players.

All that said, the 3 MVP rule looks to have been added because of "Seasons", and how the re-draft effects your team. Now you build your team more quickly and it gets somewhat dismantled artificially by "Seasons". I believe from previous conversations Darkson really dislikes off pitch attrition, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has also ignored seasons entirely and still uses Piling On in some form.

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

I like that I have far too many new dice to collect. Oh and that it seems to have brought new blood to the scene :)

Wanted to like Spike, but really it's an expensive nothingness. Kinda like a magazine you had to create at school without any real content. Guess some people like it.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

garion wrote:so it wouldn't surprise me if he has also ignored seasons entirely and still uses Piling On in some form.
Yep (and I forgot, injured/dead players can still get the MVP to - make the roster, they get a shot).

*Admittedly, our last league used a 'random from pick 6' rule, but that was only because it was only going to be 10 games long. Still used Piling On though. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Darkson wrote:I house-ruled that change back out - if you take JM, Mercs or Stars I feel you should run the risk of losing the MVP. ;)
Feels like it's punishing teams that are already down on their luck. Your player died, AND haha you don't get an MVP either!

Surprised Darkson didn't ask for a "Nothing at all, since 2nd Edition!" option in the poll :lol:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

2nd ed sucked compared to LRB4.

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

I'm with those that dislike the new MVP rule. Vying with the block dice designs for worst part of BB2016.

I like redrafting, though. Seems like I might be the only one!

rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

Gaixo wrote:I like redrafting, though. Seems like I might be the only one!
I would have thought so, but it has two votes here!

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I actually thought re-drafting was a pretty clever solution to an obvious problem with the rules.
It just didn't make my top 3.
I could have easily picked half of the options above. Settling for 3 was hard.
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

Agreed, I could have picked more then three.

While I played in the early 1990's BB2016 is what brought me back in to BB. Locally we've had maybe 6-8 seasons of at least three different leagues run over the last four years sometimes with at least three different leagues running at the same time in our small city (no it's not exactly efficient but it's not easy to get folks out of their basements to meet new folks.)

That's all purely due to BB 2016 as there had been no leagues in ten years or so.

I'm running 4 tournaments this year in our region (three different locations) we had none that I have heard of for many years prior.

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

garion wrote: If the rule had changed to pick 6 players and roll, I think it would be fine. Or even if it was still random but discounted any players that suffered an injury worse than MNG, as well as discounting star players.
I have used opponent pick 1, D16 pick one, I pick one for the D3. Very much optional though.