Black Orcs Theory (according to Pedda)

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

TaureauAmiral
Rookie
Rookie

Black Orcs Theory (according to Pedda)

Post by TaureauAmiral »

Pedda, a coach with a lot of experience playing tournaments, wrote a "Black Orcs Theory" for Blood Bowl Strategies. The article is nicely illustrated by Meunier.

Note that it's now possible to comment directly on the website's articles !

https://bloodbowlstrategies.com/en/blac ... -to-pedda/

Reason: ''
Jayward
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Black Orcs Theory (according to Pedda)

Post by Jayward »

One problem I did have when trying them out was that having just one tackle was so difficult to utilize. At MV4 and AG2 they're poor as a sweeper, and they're super easy to isolate. I agree with two block, and I was leaning towards 4 guard myself.

If it's a ruleset that gives you access to secondary skills I could see things like a Strip Ball or Dirty Player Goblin being super helpful.

I think they get a bit of a boost in rulesets that give you a skills budget in gp that can be transferred to team building; as you mention the Blorcs seem to end up with a lot left over at list building, and being able to maybe downgrade a secondary skill to a primary for 10-20k gives you enough for an Apo/Reroll.

2rr is 'orrible on a slow team with no sure hands or 'proper' blocking skills. I think I'd always be looking for the third.

But they do seem to be super fun; I'm looking forward to playing them more in the future

Smooth seas never made a skilled sailor
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

First off, I'd like to thank you for reading my article :)
Jayward wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am One problem I did have when trying them out was that having just one tackle was so difficult to utilize. At MV4 and AG2 they're poor as a sweeper, and they're super easy to isolate. I agree with two block, and I was leaning towards 4 guard myself.

I agree with you, that the BOB with tackle isn't a great sweeper, but better than no tackle at all. Four guard wouldn't be wrong either, but I think I'd at least take another block BOB before all that guard, in other words, three of each.
Jayward wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am If it's a ruleset that gives you access to secondary skills I could see things like a Strip Ball or Dirty Player Goblin being super helpful.
Yes, but I'd probably go for a block troll first. Strip ball can be good, but a sure hands goblin wouldn't be bad either, considering the lack of re-rolls.
Jayward wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am I think they get a bit of a boost in rulesets that give you a skills budget in gp that can be transferred to team building; as you mention the Blorcs seem to end up with a lot left over at list building, and being able to maybe downgrade a secondary skill to a primary for 10-20k gives you enough for an Apo/Reroll.
Sensible and I suspect that BOBs will get some extra cash eventually, once the meta settles and the new tiers are worked out. As this hasn't happend yet I used the 36 SPP that are suggested in the rulebook.
Jayward wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am 2rr is 'orrible on a slow team with no sure hands or 'proper' blocking skills. I think I'd always be looking for the third.
Me too, but for the 1100k roster, it's quite hard to squeeze in.
Jayward wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am But they do seem to be super fun; I'm looking forward to playing them more in the future
So do I. I look forward to tabletop tournaments and getting some experience with BOBs

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

TaureauAmiral wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:14 pm Note that it's now possible to comment directly on the website's articles !
Only if you use Facebook so I will comment here.

I enjoyed the article but I think there is an error in your sample roster.
6 BoB, 5 Goblins, Troll and 2 TRR = 1 mill. It looks like you spent the extra 100k on a Goblin and single Bribe since the article says "rather have 6 goblins than 2 bribes" but there is zero bribes shown on the roster.

Secondly you have 5k treasury and 5 DF! Where did the 40k you spent on DF come from?

The only other variant I could think for the roster would be to take the 7th Goblin and zero bribes. That gives you 10k for an Assistant Coach to help win TRR on the kickoff.

We have been able to play only a single game of 2020 rules so mostly still Theory bowl here as well. Neither Brawler or Sneaky Git did a lot. Better positioning will help with that. Grab was annoying and difficult to deal with. We went with MB on a pair of Black Orcs for our test game (which also did not help much).

As for skills I think this team will work better in a format where you get Secondary skills rather than SPP to spend. Dirty Player, Wrestle or Sure Hands on a Goblin will help the team.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Lyracian wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 pm
Only if you use Facebook so I will comment here.
200w.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Lyracian wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 pm I enjoyed the article but I think there is an error in your sample roster.
6 BoB, 5 Goblins, Troll and 2 TRR = 1 mill. It looks like you spent the extra 100k on a Goblin and single Bribe since the article says "rather have 6 goblins than 2 bribes" but there is zero bribes shown on the roster.
Thank you for point this out. There should be a bribe on that roster on the site. I've contacted the site to update the roster image.
Lyracian wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 pm Secondly you have 5k treasury and 5 DF! Where did the 40k you spent on DF come from?
You're right, the 5k in the bank could be used to exchange a goblin for a second bribe, but not for fans.
Lyracian wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 pm The only other variant I could think for the roster would be to take the 7th Goblin and zero bribes. That gives you 10k for an Assistant Coach to help win TRR on the kickoff.
Yes, that's an option, but I beleive that the bribe is more effective as it keep the fouling going. Having a large bench will only help in the following drive, by the time it might be too late.
Lyracian wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 pm We have been able to play only a single game of 2020 rules so mostly still Theory bowl here as well. Neither Brawler or Sneaky Git did a lot. Better positioning will help with that. Grab was annoying and difficult to deal with. We went with MB on a pair of Black Orcs for our test game (which also did not help much).
I don't aggree. Brawler is a great starting skill, but not as skill I'd take. It reduced the amount of turnovers compared to not having it.
I found sneaky git to be very effective as I could foul and then move the goblin to a place of safety or start the turn with the foul (if I still have the bribe avaiable) and then consolidate my position depending on the result.
Lyracian wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 pm As for skills I think this team will work better in a format where you get Secondary skills rather than SPP to spend. Dirty Player, Wrestle or Sure Hands on a Goblin will help the team.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take secondary skills in a SPP tournament. A secondary skill would then cost 12 SPP, making it twice as expensice as a primary skill and that's why I value two primary skills more. I'd rather have two black orcs with block than a single goblin with wrestle. A matter of personal taste.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

Pedda wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 am I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take secondary skills in a SPP tournament. A secondary skill would then cost 12 SPP, making it twice as expensice as a primary skill and that's why I value two primary skills more. I'd rather have two black orcs with block than a single goblin with wrestle. A matter of personal taste.
I think you misunderstand what I am saying. In 2019 the events I went to Tier 2 teams would have something like 5 Normal and 2 Double skills. A total of 7 skills two of which could be secondary. Buying with 36 SPP gives you 6 Primary/Normal skills or 4 Primary and 1 Secondary.

At an event were you get 5 Primary and 2 Secondary I think this team will fair better than if they are given 36 SPP to buy skills. Until we have a cross section of events it is unclear what format the majority of tournaments will follow with the new rules.
Pedda wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 am I don't aggree. Brawler is a great starting skill, but not as skill I'd take. It reduced the amount of turnovers compared to not having it.
I found sneaky git to be very effective as I could foul and then move the goblin to a place of safety or start the turn with the foul (if I still have the bribe avaiable) and then consolidate my position depending on the result.
I only have anecdotal evidence from what I saw and Theory bowl can only get us so far. One game is not a significant example. From that Grab was powerful Brawler was not. Lockdown is easing next week and my orcs are getting painting. I will be able to form a better opinion once we have seen them in action more. If I see anything to chance my mind I will let you know.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Lyracian wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 pm
Pedda wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 am I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take secondary skills in a SPP tournament. A secondary skill would then cost 12 SPP, making it twice as expensice as a primary skill and that's why I value two primary skills more. I'd rather have two black orcs with block than a single goblin with wrestle. A matter of personal taste.
I think you misunderstand what I am saying. In 2019 the events I went to Tier 2 teams would have something like 5 Normal and 2 Double skills. A total of 7 skills two of which could be secondary. Buying with 36 SPP gives you 6 Primary/Normal skills or 4 Primary and 1 Secondary.

At an event were you get 5 Primary and 2 Secondary I think this team will fair better than if they are given 36 SPP to buy skills. Until we have a cross section of events it is unclear what format the majority of tournaments will follow with the new rules.
I see your point and agree.
Lyracian wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 pm
Pedda wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 am I don't aggree. Brawler is a great starting skill, but not as skill I'd take. It reduced the amount of turnovers compared to not having it.
I only have anecdotal evidence from what I saw and Theory bowl can only get us so far. One game is not a significant example. From that Grab was powerful Brawler was not. Lockdown is easing next week and my orcs are getting painting. I will be able to form a better opinion once we have seen them in action more. If I see anything to chance my mind I will let you know.
The same goes for me. My plan is to update the article once I have gotten some TT experience with the team.
Please let me know how you get on with the team.