The Question - Where do you go for BB content online?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Where do you go online for Bloodbowl Content/Information?

Facebook
15%
TFF (I am here aren't I?)
35%
BB specific websites
6%
Podcasts
5%
GW website/Warhammer TV etc.
14%
Discord
3%
YouTube, Twitch and other video streaming services
9%
Other (if you feel like you can elaborate below)
9%
Why have you started doing this again exactly?
3%
I choose to remain Ignorant
2%

Total votes: 66

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

The Question - Where do you go for BB content online?

Post by Mystic Force »

So its been a while since I put up a poll, so today I was wondering where people go looking for their BB content fix. I lack imagination so there might be some other things out there I missed, which should be cover under other.

Have at it!

Reason: ''
I am a pro "fun" guy.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Re: The Question - Where do you go for BB content online?

Post by Jip »

TFF is pretty much just for tournament info these days. Same with the NAF site.

Games Workshop articles are fluff pieces, so don’t have much value beyond some pretty pictures.

The Blood Bowl Community Facebook page is okayyyyy for stuff, but tends to devolve into echo chambers that admins have to lock threads on.

Competitive Blood Bowl on Facebook is a pretty sensible group most of the time.

Discord tends to be more Twitch promotion, which is fine, but doesn’t really further the game.

Podcasts are decent when they look at rosters, races and rulesets, but tend to jump the shark a bit once they run out of that core content.

YouTube, twitch, tabletop tournaments and leagues are the best resources for regular ‘contact’ with the game.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

Facebook BBC is probably my first port of call. Reddit/r/blodbowl often has a few useful bits.

Still like to look in on TFF but I kind of get the impression that people have already discussed any news on Facebook and are perhaps burnt out on topics to post on TFF as well...so it is now primarily a tool to advertise tournamenrs

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

TFF isn't just for tourneys, as shown by this thread and the other threads on other topics ;) (yes it's not as popular as fb, but has plenty of advantages over that place, chief being it's not fb.)

Discord is a well chosen name. Though I am in a channel there for arranging Tabletop Simulator League matches.

Twitter.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jembo17 »

For me I get practically all of my Blood Bowl info from TFF. New releases, links to articles, etc, this is where I come. I'm not on Facebook so that kind of narrows my avenues as to what sources I can use. Is there really much useful information on Youtube? Never really thought to look there.

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

I had not thought of Twitter ( I clearly do not use it!) but on reflection due to the inherent limit on what you can do on twitter, is is more of a tool that points towards other sources of info that have a higher capacity for contained information, or is there a substantial amount of content regardless?

I like using discord for some stuff but I have not really used it for BB. In many ways it is just a less effecient forum, as topic compartmentalization is worse.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

I kind of wonder whether there are too many sub forums in tff now given the amount of traffic?

On the board index there are 17 forums - and from my phone at least - you can't see which of these have had activity. I generally check the General and show us your teams but would likely only notice threads outside of this if I was browsing from the laptop

I think the tournaments will rightly deserve to have their own section and wouldn't touch that...but do kind of wonder whether there is room to merge the bulk of the other sections with perhaps the exception of niche sections like Team England?

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Skitters wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:38 am I kind of wonder whether there are too many sub forums in tff now given the amount of traffic?
I compressed it all a while back, but am always open to suggestions (I'm the only active admin).

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Jayward
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jayward »

Kind of depends for me. If I'm looking for info about new releases, teasers, and stuff like that, then I find the more 'dynamic' places like Discord and Facebook will have hundreds of posts on anything before the forums do.

But for more timeless things like tactical advice, skill suggestions, and tournament builds, I'd go to a forum. It's likely that your question has been discussed before and it's so much easier to find an old post.

Smooth seas never made a skilled sailor
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

It does seem like forums are not used by people who have arrived on the internet more recently. The forums I frequent seemed to be filled with the same people who posted over 10 years ago when I first joined, and the number of new people I do not recognize fairly small. And from the things people say I can estimate their ages to be similar to mine.

I think that is a shame because FB for example does not allow for a longtime discussion on a specific topic, which is easy to refer back to or can have thread necromancy (a bad thing in some forums I know) when a topic comes back around. What it does lack is spontaneity and rapid dissemination which I do not think is always a good thing. A little barrier often aid in the quality of a discussion. But FB seems to be where all the people are these days. I personally rarely use FB mainly because of the amount of garbage you have to wade through before finding something of interest.

It is clear that there is less traffic here than in former times, in 2016 this was a place which had news about the latest releases being posted, but now it often does not show up at all, just an interesting note on our changing times. Maybe at this point for most people here there is not much else to say that has not already been said, but in the world of FB as nothing is preserved in an easily re-accessible form old discussions can be had anew. But it really annoys me that looking up an old post for something you would like to go back to is such a pain.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

lunchmoney wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:15 am TFF isn't just for tourneys, as shown by this thread and the other threads on other topics ;) (yes it's not as popular as fb, but has plenty of advantages over that place, chief being it's not fb.)
Compared to the other avenues mentioned on here, TFF is very, very sparse with activity and timely content.

Do you not rate Facebook? You’ve never mentioned it before… :lol:
Skitters wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:38 amI think the tournaments will rightly deserve to have their own section and wouldn't touch that...but do kind of wonder whether there is room to merge the bulk of the other sections with perhaps the exception of niche sections like Team England?
Yeah, it’s just a little clunky, isn’t it. Same with FUMBBL and the NAF forum. I think social media is just much more fluid, intuitive and responsive.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Jip wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:19 pm
Yeah, it’s just a little clunky, isn’t it.
Again, I'm open for ideas? How would you de-clunk?

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

I think it’s a forum thing in general, same situation in the few forums I still keep an eye on. Really useful for announcements and global updates, but not fluid enough for the small minutiae of day-to-day interaction.

Is what it is, no need to change it, the times and technology have done that already.

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

lunchmoney wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:52 am
Skitters wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:38 am I kind of wonder whether there are too many sub forums in tff now given the amount of traffic?
I compressed it all a while back, but am always open to suggestions (I'm the only active admin).
I think in the first instance I would suggest that the 2 General Discussion sections and the 5 Blood Bowl sections could all be merged into a single forum. Arguably I'd also be tempted to have the NAF bit in there as well...to me, they all seem to be General Blood Bowl chat (well okay, perhaps not Other Fantasy Football - but the traffic on that seems so light that not sur it really warrants a separate section)

I'd be tempted to merge the Fantasy Football Miniatures and Other Miniatures into a single section into a single Miniatures section. I also kind of feel that the Legacy Teams subforum gets lost: I can't help but think that the current Legacy Team should be a pinned topic in the main area, with perhaps a second pinned topic with links to previous Legacy Teams

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

I gave up with Facebook ages ago as too hard to follow anything. I listen to the FUMBBL podcast and watch a bit of BB2 on Twitch/You Tube.

Posting here I expect you will get a bit of a slanted view of where people go. With it being a niche game there may not be the density of people to really get discussions going.

Personally I find it quite difficult to get BB news; I load the Warhammer Community page filtered to BB now and then to see what being released - https://www.warhammer-community.com/blood-bowl/