One Turn scorers...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Are one-turn scores a "broken" feature of Blood Bowl?

Yes, they should be made impossible or less likely.
25%
Yes, because every team should have the opportunity to score in one
No votes
No, they're just fine.
75%

Total votes: 36

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

One Turn scorers...

Post by neoliminal »

Trying to gauge the current feelings.

Reason: ''
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I voted that they're fine, but Orcs are a bit of a moot point.
Gutter Runners need a double and Sprint, and I'm happy about the Stunty teams having the option. Woodies need a Quick Snap/Fooled Ya and Sprint.
Orcs however are a low MA, high ST/ AV team that shouldn't really have that option in their armoury. It gives them something that other slower teams don't have.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Orcs do sort of have a 1 turn TD if you count Gobbo throwing. Not exactly a sure thing but still possible ;)

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i voted that it is cool like it stands.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
TiMuN

Post by TiMuN »

I can't stand one turn scrorers! no strategy or team play involved in that!! And as someone said 'other teams have other means of scoring' .. i see it like restricting fouling the way it is in BB2k1, makes those 'other teams' more likely to get outscored by too many fast scorers ..

that's just INMO

[b]TiMuN[/b]
[size=75][img]http://www.bloodbowl.net/NAF/ArticleImages/naf.gif[/img] Member #181
[url=http://www.bloodbowlforo.org]BloodBowlForo.org[/url] | [url=http://spanishteam.tbbl.org]Spanish Team[/url][/size]
DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

I voted "yes", because I always find it nice... But I must admit Timun point of view, joining it to the restrictions of fouling, are not silly...

low AG teams > can score in one turn
low M team > can foul easilier ?

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I also said yes, but I do think a 1 turn td from a gutter runner or wood elf catcher is cheesy. I have had the misfortune of playing a skaven team that could score a 1 turn td at every kick off (gutter runner with +1 mv and sprint) and it really was not much fun playing against this team. Maybe there should bea cap on how many squares a player can move to stop just this sort of thing.
I have no problem with stunites being thrown in for a 1 turn td as this is always a high risk play and is within the spirit of BB - plus it is just cool that you can lob a little guy don the field :lol:

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Umm, you guys who said you "said yes"...you seemed to indicate that you thought they were ok. Make sure you didn't mean to vote "No"!

(And on the flip side, those of you who voted no...make sure you didn't mean to vote yes!)

-Chet

P.S. Would those of you who think one-turn scores are broken please indicate whether this applies to Skaven/WElves, thrown Stunties, or both? Thanks :)

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Option D then....
No they're just fine...except for Orc teams.. :P

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I don't think the rules are broken, but I am willing to entertain ideas on how to remove the cheese :wink:
I just had a thought :?:
how about adding a rule that comes into effect if you score a 1 turn td (however it is scored). That rule being the "was it a TD?" card from 3ed. Basically the team have scored so quickly (before the opposition have even had a chance to move!) that the ref was not ready and did not get into a position to properly view the TD. So while the ref is moving into a better position the opposition team get to make one free blitz move against the TD scorer.
This will make coaches think twice about scoring a 1 turn TD, as there is a good chance their prized catcher will be blitzed into the crowd.... and there is nothing BB fans like more than ripping lightly armoured catchers to pieces :o

Jonathan Merry
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

I played a few times against 1 turn scorers, usually skaven. Last time was against one skaven team using "gold" rules. I killed the scorer. I think rules are OK just now, there are some ways of stoping fast scorers: keeping a line of players back, using the wizard, etc. Usually those players die in very few matches. Nowadays, skaven team has not much to say without those posible "one turn scorers".

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

DaImp wrote:How about adding a rule that comes into effect if you score a 1 turn td (however it is scored). That rule being the "was it a TD?" card from 3ed. Basically the team have scored so quickly (before the opposition have even had a chance to move!) that the ref was not ready and did not get into a position to properly view the TD. So while the ref is moving into a better position the opposition team get to make one free blitz move against the TD scorer.
What are you, Psychic??

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

:lol: :lol:

does this mean you have been thinking along the same lines as this?
it just seemed like a good solution to me. just popped right into my head as I was typing the previous reply.

Jonathan Merry
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

I don't think one-turn scores are a problem, really, but if I did, the "Is It A TD?" idea is interesting. I can't see it as an automatic thing, though. It would make the scores impossible. It's like saying, "We're going to come up with a rule that makes fans throw rocks at you if you injure an opponent, because players get hurt too much and Big Guys with Mighty Blow are cheesy!"

But if you made the odds somewhat random, that would be ok. So if a team scores in one turn, the other coach is allowed to roll a D6. On a roll of 4 or more, the ref's line of sight is obscured, and one player may take a Blitz action this turn against the player with the ball. On a 1-3, the touchdown stands.

But, ah...otherwise, this rule would not be cool at all. Even a Skaven team with a good number of skills and a team re-roll has to make quite a few rolls to make this work. Giving the other team an automatic shot at stopping it - when the defense has clearly failed, mind you - says, "Taking two or more turns to score is more worthy than scoring in one."

And it isn't, in my opinion.

-Chet

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

My thinking is that it is unrealistic (if such a term can ever be applied to BB!) for one team to score before the other team has even moved. The more I think about it the more it begins to bug me :roll: the mental picture of the game is of one side rushing in to score while the opposition just watches them, and makes no attempt to stop the TD.

Fortunately the 1 turn TD is a rare occurance so it is unlikely to spoil my enjoyment of BB too often :) and when a 1 turn TD scorer does emerge they do make a nice squishy target to aim for :lol:

Jonathan Merry