Clarifications on certain points about OLBBL

Want to promote your fantasy football website, here's the place.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Gandi1
Rookie
Rookie

Clarifications on certain points about OLBBL

Post by Gandi1 »

First of all hi everyone.

Reading through some of the posts I have seen loads of people talking about the Olbbl, and often not in a flattering way. I would like to have opinions from anybody who would care give me their opinion, but I would like to have constructive comments, and not just people saying how crap Olbbl is without them having even experienced it ...

Anybody who does not know what Olbbl is visit http://www.olbbl.com/ , or join #Lockerroom on mIRC, you will be more than welcome.

Anybody who has experienced Olbbl in the past, I would like to say that it has changed alot over the last few years, and I invite you all to come and experience Olbbl now. If you argue that the Client is crap, be noticed that a new client is under construction, and should be available soon we all hope.

If you argue that 3ed suck, well that is just a matter of opinion, although I would like to point out that it does not suck as bad as certain people say. No Aeging for starters, meaning that your AG+ ST+ wardancer will not get -ST because of Aeging. Diving tackle does offer more possibilities instead of just being a crap skill roll, and no it is not over powered because Stand Firm wich is not a trait negtes negates the end of action on a push from Diving Tackle. Big Guys can get rid of their negative skill, although only on a double wich does not render the task easy. People might argue that allies are crap and are usseless, but they work towards the balance of the game, and besides you dont have to buy allies if you dont want to.

In Olbbl the general atmosphere is much more freindlier than that of other leagues, Coaches do not take any pleasure in devastating your team, and you will not see your Claw Rsf Chaos Warrior, or your 2ST+ Wardancer you are so proud of and that took ages for you to train die as easily as he would die in Fumbbl or similar.
Also people who complain that Olbbl is packed of house rules, it should be noticed that the rules have been played and tested for quite a long period of time, therefore the houes rules are there to assure the balance of the game. Also the commish board meets up at the end of every season to examine the rules and to decide if some rules need to be changed to maintain the balance of the rules.

Having said that, I am open to any comments, but please be constructive and do not just say you hate Olbbl out of an out of date experience of it.
If you do not know Olbbl, experience it yourself before saying it is crap, and do not let other people influence you in thinking it is crap before you have tested it.

Thanks to all who would answer to this post.

Reason: ''
BunnyPuncher
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BunnyPuncher »

remove the comma from the end of yer link

Elf Mangling Union (EMU)
Founder and President
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

well the thing is most the rules that got changed were done so because of balance issues, which is why a large number of coaches prefer the new ones

big guys are already too good in the eyes of many so losing the negatraits is nasty

also allys are ghastly, the races are balanced very well under the current ruleset, allowing the teams to take an ally to negate their weakness skews that balance

I would also say the atmosphere isn't any better than anywhere else that i have played

Personally in league play I also like the fact and the challenge that player turnover occurs, super players living forever just isn't fun in my book, i am sure that it may well be in yours and i have no problem with that

that does lead onto the fact that the teams can build up to very high tr which i personally dislike greatly, as seen in threads regarding this subject

and for the record i did use to play there

Gandi1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gandi1 »

Fair point.

I would just like to point out that players survive in the league because of an agreement between the two players wich is called "Freindly Fouling and Re-Rolling Permanents" which means that you are allowed to foul only if you have a team Re-Roll left, and that you would Re-Roll any permanente injuries ( Niggle, Stat Deacrease, Dead ). If you do not want to play like this you have absolutely no obligation, and if you like the fact that good players dissapear, fine by you, there are loads of coaches who would not mind playing out of FF rr perms rules.
As for the high tr teams, just ignore them. A separate divison exists for teams with 400tr and higher, and if you do not want to play a tr 300 team, you have no obligation to.
As for the atmoshphere of the league, I would find that the Java Client looses all kind of interaction between the two players, although there IS a place where you can talk and pass a messge, this is rarely used.

On the balance part, just one question : How can a Wood Elf team survive to a chaos team full of tackles and with 2 or 3 Claw Rsf guys ? Surely the blodgyness in them would not suffisse for them to stay alive. Especially when people stall to cause even more damage. In situations as this you need allies to soak the damage. Although it seems you all like getting your team destroyed ...

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

You came here to defend the OLBBl but you have already become the attacker in this debate, not very attractive to possible new coaches, if the house rules weren't enough of a turn off for them.

I wouldn't take it personnely if people don't like the rules you are using you have a group of players that already do, to each his own.

ImageImage
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Gandi1 wrote:I would find that the Java Client looses all kind of interaction between the two players, although there IS a place where you can talk and pass a messge, this is rarely used.
Depends on who you are playing. Some guys don't like to chat, some do.

As for the WE can't survive killer Chaos teams - well they don't have to play them - so its rare you'll ever get that match up and if you do its because the WE coach agreed to it.

By implication you are saying player death is a bad thing to be avoid. IMO this is because of the weakness of 3rd ed - killing people is too easy. Under LRB its harder to do so, but you probably end up with more deaths than under OLBBL - but is that a bad thing? I don't think it is. Team development is not the be all and end all of BB.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

gandi, why the heck are x-posting this into several forums. hard to keep a discussion going this way.

Well, my reply is here: viewtopic.php?p=185915#185915

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup