The Eclectic Elf's page

Want to promote your fantasy football website, here's the place.

Moderator: TFF Mods

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

The Eclectic Elf's page

Post by wesleytj »

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/python/bbowl/bbowl.html

It's in serious need of some update time, especially with the new rules, but it still has plenty of useful stuff. The marquee attraction of the page is and probably always has been the "Wood Elf Strategy Guide", gotten lots of positive feedback over the years.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Reason: ''

Post by Marcus »

I just realised that wesleytj == python of the OLBBL.

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about =)

Marcus aka Maquis of the OLBBL

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Good site, one of the first I ever looked at.

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

hey all just to let you know that the Wood Elf Strategy Guide has been updated to account for new LRB changes...so check it out and give me feedback!! :)

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/python/bbowl/bbowl.html

Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Still a lot in it about the old diving tackle, is a bit misleading but i guess your keeping it in there. Also it still says last update was 11/16/02 or whatever it was ;]

One comment your offence tactics you pass to a catcher then run him up into a safe zone. Personally i keep the ball on the thrower for that turn, then pass to who is left open after my opponents first turn. Its easier for him if he knows where the ball is, then if he has to try and guess where its going.

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Grumbledook wrote:Still a lot in it about the old diving tackle, is a bit misleading but i guess your keeping it in there. Also it still says last update was 11/16/02 or whatever it was ;].
Oops...forgot to update the "last updated" bit. :) As for the diving tackle, I think I'm still holding out hope that they'll go back to the old version since the new one is so worthless. If you think the old way was too good, make it a trait for crying out loud. I'd be fine with that. The new way sucks.
Grumbledook wrote:One comment your offence tactics you pass to a catcher then run him up into a safe zone. Personally i keep the ball on the thrower for that turn, then pass to who is left open after my opponents first turn. Its easier for him if he knows where the ball is, then if he has to try and guess where its going.
I know that's the "other" main way to do it...however that way never worked nearly as well for me. I think partly because it requires longer passes, partly because I'm not as used to doing it that way, and any other number of other reasons....ymmv and all that right? :)

Thanks for taking a look tho :)

Super Star

Post by martynq »

Any chance of having some diagrams indicating where you place your players? In particular, how to break down many of the standard defensive setups.

Any chance of producing strategy guides for the other elf teams? I know many people think wood elves are the best elves, but I just can't bring myself to play AV7 teams - I suffer enough injuries with AV8 as it is.

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
lyannou
Experienced
Experienced

Post by lyannou »

Hello wesleytj,

many thanks for your article's. This year i'am playing woodies in my league (3rd ed. rules) and it was very help full for me even if i lost 4 matchs and tie for 4 others. dice's god is not with me this season!:)

One thing maybe you can add is in which order to expende the team: first of all an apo, after a 2nd wardancer and after? A first catcher or a first receiver? It was a dilemna for me :roll:
Yann

Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

I found this strategy guide a while ago and have to say it's one of the best i've seen. I used to have a WE team (two actually) but there are several things you mentioned that I had never thought of.

In particular I liked the advice on how to start out the team as with the expense of these players it is easy to struggle for cash if you start badly and equally, hard to recover if you do not have enough players.

I will definately re-read this before I go back to coaching a WE team under the LRB rules.

I do have to disagree about the diving tackle though. In our 3rd ed team there was a team that eventually no one could beat and largely this was due to Diving Tackle, it does not always work but gives incredible coverage and holds the opponent up enough to create a serious disadvantage.

As the block did not cause a TO there was often a lot of sense in making a riskier block, especially if you could knock away a blitzer who would probably knock you down anyway or remove a player before they could be in position for an assist.

I also like the new version and would consider taking it if there were a few more agile teams in our league. I think the threat of it may be as useful if not more so than actually using it.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

lyannou wrote:Hello wesleytj,

many thanks for your article's. This year i'am playing woodies in my league (3rd ed. rules) and it was very help full for me even if i lost 4 matchs and tie for 4 others. dice's god is not with me this season!:)

One thing maybe you can add is in which order to expende the team: first of all an apo, after a 2nd wardancer and after? A first catcher or a first receiver? It was a dilemna for me :roll:
Yann
I had that somewhere on there, I'm sure of it. You may have just missed it....just looked...yes it's on page #3...the whole "acquisitions" section. Goes thru what order to buy stuff based on different rules sets. Anyway, for LRB it's like this:

1. Buy the Apothecary 1st!!!
2. 2nd Wardancer
3. Thrower
4. Rookie Tree
5. Catchers
6. 2nd Thrower

All the while replacing dead players as they come up.

Anyway, glad you like the page, and good luck! :)

Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Hi wesleyTJ!

Maybe you could go into a little more detail about why you´d want the tree before any catcher.

One argument may well be to give your line elves more time to collect SPPs, before the catchers show up.

But I asked the board about this issue and many people said that the tree was pretty useless on a wood elf team, so if at all, get him after the catchers...

Now, I´m not sure what to do. But as your style of playing wood elves appears to be pretty attractive to me, may be you also can pop up with a good idea or two about this matter...

Thanks, Fronko!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

wesleytj wrote:As for the diving tackle, I think I'm still holding out hope that they'll go back to the old version since the new one is so worthless
Isn't going to happen Wes ... I'd update the site to actually not confuse new players trying to use your words of wisdom.

Oh and since it useable after the dice rolls ... I always try to have 2 to 4 players with the skill. It is basically a turnover for my opponent if I go prone ... I'll take that for dollar.

Anyway, I agree ... good site.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Fronko wrote:Hi wesleyTJ!

Maybe you could go into a little more detail about why you´d want the tree before any catcher.
Well I more or less laid it out just the other day. The thing is that a lot of people think trees are useless to a wood elf team. The truth is that they're very useful, and that people aren't approaching it right.

The tree isn't there to get casualties. It isn't there to hit people. It isn't there to do anything like that (tho of course it's always nice when he DOES do those things). It's there to NOT be an elf on the line. :)

The cool thing about the treeman is that he's hi ST, and hi AV, with thick skull and stand firm. So what if his movement sucks? So what if he has to roll to get up? The idea is that he takes your opponent's attention away from your elves. People see the tree as a threat and often overreact.

I absolutely LOVE it when my opponent stacks a bunch of guys on the line to knock down the tree. That's a bunch of guys who are wasting their time on an irellevant player. What you want to do is play that up, play the psychological game with them. Act all upset when the tree goes down, say stuff like "great, now I have to roll to stand up!" and make it like it's really screwed up your whole strategy. Meanwhile the rest of your team is running by. Plays right into your hands.

So, the short answer is that he is VERY useful, just not for the standard reasons.

Legend

Post by Djengis_Khan »

hey..... I see a guy in the orc team..

He has 41 CAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o

WOW................... VERRY Much !!! :o :o

how does he did this ?? :o :o :o

:o :o :o :o :o :o

The Future of Dutch Blood Bowl.
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

What you have to remember about those teams is that they are played with a VERY different rules set. In case you didn't notice, the guy on the orc team with 41Cas is a Chaos Dwarf, that should tell you something...we used JJ's old Ally/Big Guy rules :)

Also that league had free agency rules. You could buy/sell players off your team. I bought that guy when he had 25 or so Cas, and he got the rest playing on my team, about 1 per game iirc. He was a very good player though, partly because of him my orcs allowed an average of .3 TD per game :)