Try to help everyone

Want to promote your fantasy football website, here's the place.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Try to help everyone

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Did a search for blood-bowl.net references on the web and found this site:

http://www.rpg.hu/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1211

After some serious trial and error, discovered the site was in Hungarian. Also discovered that they had some minor issues with some of the missing content of b-b.net .... as you can see I finally figured out how to register and post a reply.

I'm hoping they don't die laughing at what InterTran translated my response to ... have a feeling that DFC's english is about 95 times better than whatever I just posted.

Now comes I need to follow through and get up the information on the site that they were looking for.

Galak

blood-bowl.net .... trying to service the entire BB community ... one request at a time ..... :D

Reason: ''
TiMuN
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by TiMuN »

Galak .. now you try to find out what the other 15 replies are translated to!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[b]TiMuN[/b]
[size=75][img]http://www.bloodbowl.net/NAF/ArticleImages/naf.gif[/img] Member #181
[url=http://www.bloodbowlforo.org]BloodBowlForo.org[/url] | [url=http://spanishteam.tbbl.org]Spanish Team[/url][/size]
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I just tried translating that site from Hungarian to English...

I dread to think what they actually wrote, but here are a few of my favourite parts:

"Kidneys this is a great wrinkle!!! I support him
That way for at least more játszhatunk and longer will be the league! "

"THE Blood Bowl kettle of fish address underneath recited rioters between find! "

"masters degree am I also finds already this the sideways, but absolutely the there is not on it that I'm looking for... "

"If these elfogadjátok, then already genital there is want 4 vámpírra! true yet every the most powerful corpse head-liner, but megtámogatva the remaining members, why yes viable cspatot can be draw together! "

"Abundant these the players 1 also, since " too" ruder, this under can be exception for instance the Ratogre, since livelier overcast than one stormvermin"

"Possibly exterminatory mickle charmed am, but am I not yet meet such crew member where 2-nél more bought szártjátékos she would be!"

I think we have a ways to go before translation software is a truly viable prospect...

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

and I just tried translating the Swedish American Football Federation's site...its amazing exactly how poor it is. Simple words not translated or translated completely wrong. For some reason it recognises the town of Ystad (about as far south as you can go in the country) as "Curdle".

There's a report of the game I played yesterday there. I translated that too.
Here's my translation, then theirs:

020811 Gränby Sportfield: Drama and excitement were what was on offer in the series final in Division 1 east B. The visiting Eskilstuna Tigers were forced to beat the Uppsala 86ers to take home the series title. They came close, but with Uppsala being the better team in this game, the final result of 14-14 can be seen as fair.

020811 Alley Game: Dramatic and thrill each whatever was bidding in seriefinalen in div IN orient testimony Gästande Eskilstuna Tiger each compelled that overcome Uppsala 86ers for that take home seriesegern. Close arrived husband, but then Uppsala defiance all is that all better layer in that game, so sheep slutresultatet 14-14 ses as fairly.

Says it all really...

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Just for reference, Ystad == The town, ystad == something you do to produce cheese, I assume "curdled" would be it.

Oh.. And I have to defend the ones making the translation software.. For example:

"Nära kom man"

Nära == Close

kom == arrived, came, come

man == one as in "one can assume...", man or husband.

So, a translation like "Close arrived husband" could be correct depending on the context.. I can't really blame the translator software of not figuring out the context.. Especially since the grammar in the swedish version is not something you usually use when you write.

Anyway.. I'm sure my fiancé could analyze this further as she's studying computational linguistics.. :)

-- Christer

FUMBBL - http://fumbbl.com
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

christer wrote:Just for reference, Ystad == The town, ystad == something you do to produce cheese, I assume "curdled" would be it.
Is it? shows that my Swedish isn't perfect. I think I just found a new way to irritate people from Skåne (or Blekinge or wherever)...
just have to find some now.

I see where they got that translation from, but it just goes to show that software relying on individual word translation is never going to work, and trying to program all the grammatical rules together with the stuff relating to context....heck, thats nigh on impossible. Just try the En/Ett dilema in swedish (the two ways of saying "a" or "an" in Swedish. Like tenses.) THERE IS NO RULE!

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

heh...I just realised....it translated "Får" meaning "may" (as in "you may do this.") as "Får" meaning "Sheep"....
cool...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

For those wondering ... basically this Hungarian site was looking for anywhere that had the very old cheerleader article from BB Comp #3. Master Degree replied that my site would have it ... to which Thor mentioned that while I "should" have it that for some very strange reason its the only BB Comp 3 article NOT on my site.

The reason being my typist who was helping me ... lost his great job where all day he only had to watch a server to make sure it didn't go down .... left him with a LOT!!! of freetime .... 8 hours a day of it normally. So he typed up BB reference material to help me out ... he lost his job as he was finishing the Comp 3 articles so it never made it.

I'll trying to type it up know for them ... my post apologized for it not being there and said I'd try to have it up shortly.

Took me an hour to register for the forum .... I'm actually amazed I managed to register and post at all .... however like I said ... I REALLY dread the mess that the translator turned my English into ... I'm sure they are getting a good laugh.

Galak

I think its cool though ... don't really think of BB being played in the old Eastern Europe nations .... American stereotype thinking ... apologies in advance ... as I should know better.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

LOL! :D Just trawled though 4 pages of baffling Hungarian debate following Galak's post..I may have just about understood the smilies! :D

Galak, you really are Da Man! Now tell them all about the NAF and get them signed up, I don't think we have an organiser for Hungary yet! :wink:

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Deathwing wrote:LOL! :D Just trawled though 4 pages of baffling Hungarian debate following Galak's post..I may have just about understood the smilies! :D

Galak, you really are Da Man! Now tell them all about the NAF and get them signed up, I don't think we have an organiser for Hungary yet! :wink:
Okay, Woody, I plugged the NAF and told anyone who was interested to come to this thread and volunteer ... you and Anthony can take it from there.

Hopefully someone will.

Galak

oh and PS... according the Hungarian folks ... InterTran DID turn my post into meaningless garbage ... :roll: :roll:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Hey ... another satisfied customer .... gotta love the internet.

http://www.rpg.hu/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1211

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Thadrin, it sounds like Yoda ate some bad shrooms!

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!