OBBLM (Online Blood Bowl League Manager)

Want to promote your fantasy football website, here's the place.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: OBBLM (Online Blood Bowl League Manager)

Post by sann0638 »

Hi,
looking at using this but have limited php skills, though I am very keen to learn! Is there any documentation that would help me?

Thanks,
Mike

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Angeblich »

you don't really need php-skills, if you use it "out of the box". i am pretty sure there is an installation guide in the package. you could also join the developer-site at code.google (obblm) and ask specific questions in the help-wiki.

you need to set up an sql-database (in my case, hosteurope, i could do this from the web-based management-tool of my web-pack. just had to upgrade, because the basic version did not support it).

Then you modify the settings-file to your needs (especially putting in the database-address) and run the installation script ONCE.

done.

i did not know about databases, sql or php at all, when i set this up. just a little remailing with the author, nicholas, and my hosting-company did the job.

and like i wrote, you could also ask specific questions at the code.google.site.

hope that helps.

it is a great application and my league-members love it.

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

There is another OBBLM thread in the Digital Resources section. The OBBLM portal, http://www.stuntyleeg.com, is offering league hosting. This would mean you really do need zero knowledge of php and sql, and always get the latest and most feature packed version of OBBLM. Send me a PM if you are interested in running your own league and we will set you up. Once you have members, they actually will only see their default league when they login and have the choice to switch to other leagues they may join in the future.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
gollumullog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gollumullog »

Slow connections:

Anyone else out there plagued with slow connections and find it hard to navigate the OBBLM interface?

Specifically the Seasons page, maybe its just our league with 40+ coaches and 3 divisions, and 7+ seasons for each. Is there an easy way to customize that page so that it only shows current/active seasons?

Or maybe a mobile version of the site, with limited pages, but optimized so they will load faster, and easier to navigate on mobile phones?

Member of Thunderbowl Sports Network
Spike! 2011 - Major Tournament - September 10-11 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Coach of:
Thunderbowl: gollumullog
Fumbbl: gollumullog
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

What version are you using? You can check out the performance of .8 at http://www.stuntyleeg.com.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
gollumullog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gollumullog »

funnyfingers wrote:What version are you using? You can check out the performance of .8 at http://www.stuntyleeg.com.
Looks like 0.75 : http://www.thunderbowl.ca/tbsn/

I don't expect its a version issue (although they may have tweaked it in .8). There is just so much information in that page/request that it takes multiple seconds to load on a reasonable connection, and at our offsite location where we have horrible wifi, we are looking at minutes to download that page. On my work computer which tests at: 27.46 Mbps download it takes 8 sec to load. I'm sure our host is pretty slow and is part of the issue. But 8 seconds I can live with but multiple minutes when we have 20 games to enter during our game days, is horrible.

I would make the modifications I want, but am new to web programming, and don't have access to our server to play around, so I'm wondering if anyone has made similar page modifications or thinks its a good idea?

Specifically I would love to see this:

* When a coach logs in and goes to : cc->My Teams->[team]
* it would show in addition to recent matches, your upcoming matches as well

I think this is the easiest way to get around the long loading times for the seasons page (ie but not having to go there).

Coach of:
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

It is a version issue. The more matches there is the slower it is at processing stats. If you don't upgrade soon it will eventually time out on you.

You can see the portal site I referenced takes as little as a fraction of a second to load because of these changes.

gollumullog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gollumullog »

Eggcellent, request sent to our server side guy to update the system. Cheers

Coach of:
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

gollumullog wrote:Eggcellent, request sent to our server side guy to update the system. Cheers
You may want to tell him to replace the lib/mysql_upgrade_queries.php file in the 0.8 archive with this one: http://obblm.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/l ... ueries.php

It'll make the upgrade procedure less painful since there were a couple of problems in the 0.8 distributed version.

Nicholas.

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

And remember BACKUP is your friend :)

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Ok, we've set up OBBLM for our league in Scotland.

My "Guru" seems to have disappeared, and i need to know what i need to do to edit the Home page. The one with all the Most SPP etc.

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!