OBBLM (Online Blood Bowl League Manager)

Want to promote your fantasy football website, here's the place.

Moderator: TFF Mods

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

Just a quick couple of questions Is there a way of deleting a team that has recorded a game. Can you delete a coach?

One of the guys in my league lost a game and threw his toys out the pram - he doesn't want to be part of the league anymore (or even play BB again) :roll:

Reason: ''
Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Angeblich »

you gotta do this in the database.

you have to delete every player, every team and the coach.

but i would not do this, as this loses the one game for the record of his opponent. just rename him with (retired) or so. also the teams.

howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

Righto - I'll just rename his coach name and change his password then.

Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Angeblich »

gives also flavour to the league, i think.

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

For the sake of keeping league statistics intact you are not allowed to delete teams which have played matches.

I will try to implement a similar coach delete feature for coaches who have not played any matches.

Also, since this situation of yours probably is common in many leagues (that coaches stop playing), it might be an idea having the possibility to mark a team/coach retired?

Nicholas.

howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

That would be a nice feature. I had to reset his password so I could log in as him to do the rename. There doesn't seem to be a way of renaming the team so I just changed the team description to show it had been retired.

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

howlinggriffon wrote:That would be a nice feature. I had to reset his password so I could log in as him to do the rename. There doesn't seem to be a way of renaming the team so I just changed the team description to show it had been retired.
Yes. Resetting his password is a good idea, but you don't need to do that in order to change his teams' name. You can do this as an admin via the ordinary team's page.

Lahatiel
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lahatiel »

Our league has so many coaches with such varying personal schedules spread over a large geographical ares, so we play an open style where coaches just play matches against who we can, when we can. We also allow for coaches jumping in after a season already started, because we're constantly expanding and adding new coaches right now. So we use the Free For All system, with Ranking System 2 to base the standing on Points (3 for a win plus 1 for a draw). However, since we then take those fixture standings to determine seeding for an end-of-season playoffs, the preset tiebreakers for RS2 of Points, then TDs followed by team Name weren't really fair (the TD sorting unfairly favoring speed teams over bashing teams, and then Name just being a random element). So I edited the code for our league so that RS2 now sorts by Points, then by Win %, then by Score Differential.

@Nicholas: is there any way I could separate the Schedule Matches function from the Admin class? Right now we have to have every coach in the league (30+ coaches so far) be marked as Admin so they can all use Schedule Match to create their own pairings for the games they play, given the free-flowing, random nature of our regular season as described above. Ideally, though, we'd like to eventually have it we can remove Admin class from all coaches and allow regular coaches to be able access the Schedule Match feature, while keeping all the other current Admin-only feature restricted to those few who would then be designated as actual Admins. Is there some chunk of code I could move from one section to another to accomplish this, or maybe a trigger switch I could set somewhere?

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Lahatiel wrote:Our league has so many coaches with such varying personal schedules spread over a large geographical ares, so we play an open style where coaches just play matches against who we can, when we can. We also allow for coaches jumping in after a season already started, because we're constantly expanding and adding new coaches right now. So we use the Free For All system, with Ranking System 2 to base the standing on Points (3 for a win plus 1 for a draw). However, since we then take those fixture standings to determine seeding for an end-of-season playoffs, the preset tiebreakers for RS2 of Points, then TDs followed by team Name weren't really fair (the TD sorting unfairly favoring speed teams over bashing teams, and then Name just being a random element). So I edited the code for our league so that RS2 now sorts by Points, then by Win %, then by Score Differential.

@Nicholas: is there any way I could separate the Schedule Matches function from the Admin class? Right now we have to have every coach in the league (30+ coaches so far) be marked as Admin so they can all use Schedule Match to create their own pairings for the games they play, given the free-flowing, random nature of our regular season as described above. Ideally, though, we'd like to eventually have it we can remove Admin class from all coaches and allow regular coaches to be able access the Schedule Match feature, while keeping all the other current Admin-only feature restricted to those few who would then be designated as actual Admins. Is there some chunk of code I could move from one section to another to accomplish this, or maybe a trigger switch I could set somewhere?
May I ask if the TRSGUIDE file helped you? I'm very interested in making it easily possible for leagues to make their own ranking systems, but I'm not quite sure if that guide is enough.

Regarding scheduling matches:
Unfortunately that is not so easily done in version 0.37.
Instead I would be more than glad to send you the current 0.38 alpha, which has exactly the feature you are looking for. In the 0.38 alpha we have added an extra access level/privilege ring besides the regular coach and the site admin. There now exists also a third user type - the league commissioner. This new coach type may also schedule matches without having full site admin access.

If you wan't to give it a go PM me with your email or email me with your email and I'll send you it.

Lahatiel
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lahatiel »

I'm afraid I don't seem to have a TRSGUIDE file; I've never seen it, so I can't say it helped. :-? To be honest, I just did it by digging through files: first I looked at the Fixtures section of the sections.php file, and it seemed like I'd need to find RSSortRules somewhere else. After looking through the other top-level files and not finding anything promising, I decided to dig elsewhere. The lib folder seemed like the logical place to start, and the class_tournament.php made sense, so I started poking around in there and what do you know, my search for "rssortrules" turn up a section of code near the bottom that was exactly what I needed! I referenced back to the sections.php to get the exact terminology I needed for the sorts I wanted ('-win_percentage', '-score_diff') and just replaced what was already there. It wasn't necessarily intuitive, but really wasn't all that difficult in the end, and didn't take me too long.

I'd be happy be able to test out v0.38a and play with the new access levels -- I'm sending an email now. Thanks!

Toby Wardman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Toby Wardman »

How long has OBBL been around?

Wish I'd known about the existence of this software before I developed the Yorkshire league one last year! A few of our requirements are different (we have a divisional structure), but I'm sure I could have started off with the OBBL code rather than developing everything from scratch...

<b>The Yorkshire Blood Bowl League</b>
Britain's biggest tabletop league
www.tybbl.org.uk
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Well, we started on it back in July 07', but back then it was not nearly as useful as it is now. It's only within the last year that is has been useful software.

Anyway, it should not be too hard switching over, if you want ;-). The coming version has much better support for importing leagues and their current stats.

Toby Wardman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Toby Wardman »

yeah. I think we're pretty much where we want to be in Yorkshire now. The site works pretty smoothly and it handles our unusual setup pretty well. But it would have saved a lot of work not to have to do it all from scratch!

I'll keep an eye on OBBL. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help

<b>The Yorkshire Blood Bowl League</b>
Britain's biggest tabletop league
www.tybbl.org.uk
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Toby Wardman wrote:yeah. I think we're pretty much where we want to be in Yorkshire now. The site works pretty smoothly and it handles our unusual setup pretty well. But it would have saved a lot of work not to have to do it all from scratch!

I'll keep an eye on OBBL. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help
I understand. Would probably do the same.

Well, you (and others) may help with anything you can.
If you have a wish/idea/improvement for the software I strongly encourage you to either notify the developers at code.google.com/p/obblm about it, or if you have the coding skills for doing it yourself, we would love if you joined the project by contributing code.

I see you have a quite nice RSS feature implemented. The OBBLM RSS module for the next version is already written, but it's implementation is not yet finished. This is mostly due to the guy who wrote it is a little inactive atm, and that I have other stuff on my hands and don't know anything about news feeds :-).
Therefore if you are up to it I would very much appreciate if you gave us a hand. You can PM or mail me about it instead of using this thread.

corlm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by corlm »

A very minor thing. Rerolls for dwarf teams are listed as 50k (with lrb6) but should cost 40k.
Edit: User Error! Turns out I accidently opened the wrong lrb :wink:

Love how easy obbl was to set up and it works very well for us. Thanks a lot for the effort in making this software.