Anyone know anything about Wiki programs?

Want to promote your fantasy football website, here's the place.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Anyone know anything about Wiki programs?

Post by Joemanji »

Hey chaps,

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about Wiki programs. It seems like there are a lot out there. :) Tchatt and I were discussing a possible wiki play-by-email BB guide. Something simple and clear is all we would be after I guess. :)

Cheers :D
Joe

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

I was leaning toward mediawiki.

Things it would need to be able to do in order to provide a decent BBTool Guide:

*ability to show images
*ability to keep some sort of control over who can edit it. I know that kinda goes against a wiki, but we need to be able to protect it at least from spammers.

My thinking and I think Joemanji agrees is that writing a guide for the tool is a fairly large task for any one person, and not any one person knows all there is to know about it (other then Galak). So by doing a Wiki it would allow all of us to put in our two cents and provide a much more comprehensive guide.

I just don't know enough about the backend and setting it up on a site, I know how to edit a wiki and write pages and would be more then willing to help with that.

Anyone have any experience with wikis?

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

you got a hosting service with anyone?

if so they usually have a thing called fantastico which is an easy way for installing common free software

blogs/forums/wikis/galleries etc

if so use one of the options there will take out a lot of the leg work

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'm a big fan of Atlassians Confluence product, but you have to pay for it. Given that money is an issue you are probably okay with an open source one running on MySQL/PHP or similar.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams