Community in BB PC game

Want to promote your fantasy football website, here's the place.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Lizardcore
Rookie
Rookie

Community in BB PC game

Post by Lizardcore »

Hi All,

After thinking a bit about it, I think that the PC game is a great opportunity to enroll new players into the board game community. I think we should try to make our community visible. The simplest and efficient way I've seen to do so is to try to have "clan-tag" that will be informative for the new commers.

For example, I'd be BBFr_lizardcore, then any french new player will identify me as a potential reference, and I can redirect him to french websites talking about BB and tournaments. I think it's more usefull that having tones of differents clan that won't have the same visibility. More over, It's very likely that some of the BB(enter your nation here) would be on top of the ladder. I've already started to talk about it with the canadians (on NAF forum) and the french (on french team forum).

what do you think about it ?

It could be cool to have BBEn_Lucifer fighting for the first place with BBSp_kerrunch, no ?

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Er...what? :o informative to newcomers maybe, but what about us oldtimers?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Lizardcore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lizardcore »

I don't understand your question o.O

It's just a way to show that there's a community doing board game tournament, so maybe you think the comunity is big enough and it's useless to try to extend it ?

correct me if i'm wrong !

Lets try to rephrase it then:

Instead of creating an account "darkson" on the BB PC game, you create an account "BBEn_darkson" (I hope you're english :D ).

Then, you do a couple of games, and one of your opponent ask you why do you have this tag: you answer, I'm just someone who use to do IRL leagues or tournaments. And then the new guy goes "great, I didn't know that exists !". And here you have a new player for your tournament.

Maybe in europe you might think this is useless because each tourney has more than 40 people and that's enough for you, but for US or canada for example, any new comer will be pretty much appreciated (as long as he's not a jackass of course ;) ). Does that seems more clear to you ?

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

NAF or TBB would be better

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Re: Community in BB PC game

Post by Podfrey »

Lizardcore wrote:It could be cool to have BBEn_Lucifer fighting for the first place with BBEs_Kerrunch, no ?
Certainly would!! ;-)

I like that idea, but I'm not sure the "BB" prefix is needed. Just [NAF_Nick]_[Intl. Country Code] would be fine, so Lizardcore_FR, Lucifer_EN, Kerrunch_ES, etc.

Lizardcore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lizardcore »

Great, apparently my point was not that obscur !

I totally agree to change it for nafFr_ or something else ! anysuggestion is welcome ! The problem is that I think each CD key will only allow one account (so one coach name) unlike other games. So this should be fixed before. I let you guys tlak about it around you, I'll let you know what has been discuss in france and canada, and then, everybody is free to do whatever he wants, of course...

[edit: yeah I think my favorite so far is naf(country)_pseudo, like nafFr_lizardcore. It shows the naf and the country]

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

don't see the need in having the country there at all

NAF Grumbledook

job done

you will probably have location in the profile anyway

course I doubt I'm gonna get the game anyway, maybe when it drops to a tenner perhaps ;o

Asariel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Asariel »

I would hope there's a bio/profile section where one could put a little blurb, something to advertise the board game and the community around it however the idea of a unified tag is rather appealing as well, most non TT/new players would probably be curious of half the people they played had the same tag. Xbox wise it should be grand with voice chat, not sure how popular it will be only with newcomers though, especially the turn based mode.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ah right, now I get what you're on about.

No thanks, I'm happy with Darkson - don't see the need for something like BBEn_Darkson or Darkson_En.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Lizardcore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lizardcore »

Just for grumbbledock's point: the only interest to have the nationnality is that that allows people who doesn't speak english to know who to talk to (ok, you don't really have this problem ;) ).

Just another comment: there are already websites and forum on the bloodbowl PC game (as any other video game) with people saying "OMG, bloodbowl still exist, great !" => those players are likely to come to tourney, it's just they didn't know that some tourney were taking place. The "clan-tag" stuff is very convenient because it's very obvious that it means something for the video-game community. I played for a while on-line at DoW, and I've seen that you really quickly identified clans (moreover when a ot of the good players are from the same one).

There will also be replays of games available everywhere: It's much more "communicative" to have a replay with "nafEn_lucifer" than just "lucifer". I don't really care about the final consensus for the tag, I'm more concern about the fact that we should not miss that chance to extend the community !

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I think it would be much cleaner to keep with Geoff's suggestion.

Classifying by NAF/Nationality first isn't that useful for me - if you want to find someone by name you don't want to have to 2nd guess their classifications. So I want my nick to be Doubleskulls - I'd be happy with Doubleskulls_xxxx

However what is differentiating about the xxxx? Does NAF add any information or is it purely a way of saying "i'm active in real life tournaments?"

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Lizardcore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lizardcore »

ianwilliams wrote:However what is differentiating about the xxxx? Does NAF add any information or is it purely a way of saying "i'm active in real life tournaments?"
this is the point : saying that real life tournament exists to the many people that are not aware of it.

Lets go for doubleskull_NAF if you prefer (so far we have 2 NAF_pseudo and 2 pseudo_naf and one nothing).

Or just having NAF somewhere of the pseudo.
Arkzein wrote:I would hope there's a bio/profile section where one could put a little blurb, something to advertise the board game and the community around it
Sorry to say so, but if BB on PC is just like any of the other RTS PC games, then the answer is definitely no (actually, if the game is powered by games for windows live you might have a sort of profile). Your pseudo will be the only "commercial" space available. And you will have only one pseudo (most likely).

A last thing: your pseudo might be already taken ! for example, If I were you darkson, I would rush to buy the game because your pseudo might be taken by someone else (same for doubleskull or lucifer). But your pseudo_naf wont be used that fast ;)

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

I'm still not convinced on the NAF or whatever part, as many people cross-platform, i.e. play on line AND play tournaments AND play in leagues. Are you saying that they'd have to pick one format to register as?

Lizardcore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lizardcore »

the thing is, as far as we know, you gonna create your account as you'll activate your game copy. then, your teams (32/account) will be available to be ingaged in any online competition. aprat of that, you will be able to play custom teams, but not in the online competitions.

More and more games are now like that :

-create your games for windows live account
-register your game copy to this account (wich means you can have only one account, but, play on any computer with it)

Still, I'm wandering if it will be possible to have multiple profiles. I don't think you can have multiple profiles with games for windows live (given the game is going to be on Xbox 360 aswell, GFWL is likely to be used).

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There does seem to be a lot of assumptions here, compared to the info that Cyanide and Focus have been giving on their own site. Iirc, they haven't even said how the game will be activated, they haven't said anything about Windows Live, and I know they're using their own Game Centre to hosts leagues/ladders, at least to start with.

I think we need more info before anything can even be suggested.