Minis and Banners

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Minis and Banners

Post by faust_33 »

Yea, it's funny the things we will or won't tolerate. I think with the transparent discs, the thinness of them mostly bothers me. That and when they are tipped (knocked down/stunned), it will seem weird. Not that it is any less weird seeing the bottom of a base.

Reason: ''
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

faust_33 wrote:Back to Banners. Haven't had much luck with an image search, but I imagine I'll find something or some close enough fonts. I actually came across a decent use for them other than on the pitch. I have all my teams in separate plastic containers. I cut out some small strips of paper and labelled each container (e.g "Humans") so I can quickly see what is what. Now I'm thinking I could use different fonts (or team names) to label each of those containers instead. Would be cool.
If you really wanna make your own banners, I can maybe give a little hand as I have some skills when it comes to graphics.
I'm not a pro, mind, but should get some decent banners.

I'd need the size you need, the team name and logo to be used, team colors and maybe a general idea what you are looking for.

Regash

Post by Regash »

Here are some examples of banners how I would make 'em:

The T'Zlan Cougars (Amazon)

The Moshington Greenskins (Orcs)

The Kheyro Tomb Raiders (Khemri)

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

There are some nice helmet options out there. I put them on a sub fumbbl forum. One guy did the old 2nd ed helmets and another guy did some more 3d style fantasy ones. Both are extremely good. Also from FUMBBL there are templates for back grounds (steal girder type dividers for the wide zones etc). All of this with flaming or cooltexts and the high quality print paper suggested above means making professional looking banners is pretty easy.

One of the reasons he dipped (and they are dipped) those humans is because the wash is the same colour for each of his base colours. Probably a reason why he chose those colours. There's some horrible flash on one of the feet next to the base though.....

Regash

Post by Regash »

harvestmouse wrote:There are some nice helmet options out there. I put them on a sub fumbbl forum.
Yep found them and thought the idea to use them for the banners quite good.
Unfortunately, they are low quality JPG images and really hard to work with if you need a transparent background.
Also, I thought it nice if you had the parts of them like the different helmets, different masks, different wings and could pu them together yourself.
Working with these JPGs is nigh impossible due to low quality.

Regash

Post by Regash »

Okay, it's rather a pain in the... well, you know where, but somehow it's managable.
But I won't make any. (Pics removed!)

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Wow Regash, those are totally awesome!

I think I could use some as labels for mini boxes. I could get some dimensions, names, and symbol ideas to you.

I also think they would work nice as some sort of overlay for the pitch's endzone. I guess I would print out the banners on paper, fold those over the existing squares. The other option would be to print up a plastic overlay, for something really fancy.

Standing signs, like some of the 3D scoreboards I've seen, would be cool but I don't have the hardware for standing signs yet, so that would be a long time coming.

Are you making these in Photoshop or Illustrator? Illustrator is nice because scaling is usually much easier.

Regash

Post by Regash »

faust_33 wrote:Wow Regash, those are totally awesome!
Thanks!
faust_33 wrote:Are you making these in Photoshop or Illustrator?
I use Photoshop most of the time, I'm used to it.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Regash wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:There are some nice helmet options out there. I put them on a sub fumbbl forum.
Yep found them and thought the idea to use them for the banners quite good.
Unfortunately, they are low quality JPG images and really hard to work with if you need a transparent background.
Uh huh, even though it appears you've used the retro helmets I told you about from FUMBBL anyway......why when it comes to that site you have this juvenile and trolling attitude, even going to the lengths of having your account removed for no real reason.........I just don't know.

This is Blood Bowl. Any site that supports the game and promotes it, is a benefit to the community.

Regash

Post by Regash »

harvestmouse wrote:Uh huh, even though it appears you've used the retro helmets I told you about from FUMBBL anyway.
Yep, like I said, it's a pain to work with them as they are low quality JPGs but they're still better than a simple modern football helmet. And they weren't downloaded from FUMBBL, as far as I've seen it.

Is it really a problem for you that I try to keep my data clean and not leave footprints all over the internet?
Yes, I decided to create an account in hopes of playing some online BB a long time ago. But I didn't like the ppl I've met, I hated that client FUMBBL uses and I don't like the competitive attitude ppl have when playing online, including the Cyanide version. I prefer friendly games with ppl I like. So why do I need an account that I never even log in to?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Regash wrote:Yep, like I said, it's a pain to work with them as they are low quality JPGs but they're still better than a simple modern football helmet.
Your insinuation was that they weren't workable at all.
No ........cheers harvestmouse...........they're a pain but thanks for the heads up and thanks online BB for contributing?...no.
Regash wrote:And they weren't downloaded from FUMBBL, as far as I've seen it.
That's a problem? And also I do believe I told you they originated from FUMBBL, but I uploaded them to another site for ease.
There are some nice helmet options out there. I put them on a sub fumbbl forum.
Regash wrote:Is it really a problem for you that I try to keep my data clean and not leave footprints all over the internet?
No, but how many problems did you get from FUMBBL having your data? The answer zero, as only the owner and staff have access and zero interest in your email account. I am sure such data is more easily accessible else where. Plus I'm starting to get confused. Originally you admitted to a FUMBBL account, then said you didn't have one, I pointed out you had one, then you were suprised by the fact, now..........you seem aware again. hmmmm. And that's been a footprint problem for you?
Regash wrote:Yes, I decided to create an account in hopes of playing some online BB a long time ago. But I didn't like the ppl I've met, I hated that client FUMBBL uses.
Please see above about your FUMBBL account. On top of that, you never actually played any games on FUMBBL............difficult to have a view on the players you met or the client........isn't it?

Regash I've tried to let bygones be bygones a few times with you. Commenting on your goblin topic, offering my point of view. All the time I feel 'my point of view' is put down due to me being a FUMBBL guy (which actually I'm not, certainly not now). I've said before I think you troll, and my feeling that you troll anybody or any topic which is online related is stronger than ever. I think any conversation (which appears to be many that you feel you need to express your tuppence) I'll avoid or at least avoid conversing with you.

Regash

Post by Regash »

harvestmouse wrote:I'll avoid or at least avoid conversing with you.
Got no problem with that, really.
Just put me on your foes list and you won't even be bothered by my posts anymore.
I'm all fine with that!

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Ok, sorry this turned into a heated discussion. If I end up making some banners, I'll post some here.

I'll need to get some dimensions and figure out exactly what I'm going to do first. Probably just box labels to start with. Right now I'm trying to get a couple conversions done, so that I can finally prime a team. Hopefully that all turns out and I'll have some nice pics to share.

Regash

Post by Regash »

faust_33 wrote:Right now I'm trying to get a couple conversions done
Awesome! Image
Conversions are the best part of the collecting part of this hobby.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

My first conversion was a Warhammer Ogre for a Human team. I tried to make a helmet out of green stuff and I think some shoulder pads, maybe a belt too. I wasn't too happy afterwards. Though the people in my league thought he was an official mini, which just made me laugh because it was really amateurish. They were also all new to Blood Bowl, so they didn't know the difference.

Since then I've made a lot of board game pieces using Sculpey, for other games. I got the hang of working with clay and using a few tools.

Though once I tried out green stuff once again, on the recent conversion, it handles so much differently than clay. The stickiness can be really hard to work with. I think I get too worried about it curing, and don't don't give it enough time. I think I'd be better off mixing the green stuff together and letting it sit for an hour, then start shaping it, texturing it. Probably easier to work with then. Or maybe change the ratio of yellow/blue, since I've been doing 50-50.

I also fret about wasting the green stuff, and try to do too many parts at once. Which is kind of dumb, because I probably bought it several years ago and still have 3/4 of the pack left.