Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Models » Fantasy Football Miniatures & Products

Post subject: Re: Gouged Eye WIP
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:40 am 
Rookie
Rookie

faust_33 wrote:
Forgot to mention, that I seem to be liking the Citadel colors (a least in photos) quite a bit. I'm not sure if I'm going to end up switching to their line of paints, but I have been picking up quite a few of them. I did get some Vallejo Extra Opaque paints recently to use for base colors, so we'll have to see what I like better.

My camera's terrible at showing it, but they are very nice colours! I'm not a fan of the consistency of base paints so far personally, but that could change with experience.

Axtklinge wrote:
They are coming along very nice.
Looking forward to see how they build up from there.
:)

Do you plan on adding side line figures (coach, apo, etc.)?
And if you do are you planning on converting or using any particular model?

Cheers! I'd like to add the 2nd ed female orc and goblin cheerleaders at some point. To both act as score, turn and reroll markers, and to go with an idea I have rattling around for a display. I think that would be a nice way to complete the team. Along with adding a troll, goblin and extra thrower to bring them up to the full 16. I think I'd maybe give the orc the same pom-poms as the goblins for continuity. And I'd definitely have them on taller, more plinth like bases to distinguish them as markers. With plaques labeling each one's function.

Agrax Earthshade added, with red and brown then cleaned back up. Apologies for the picture quality. Once the entire team is finished, I'll inquire with some photographers I know about getting some proper pics!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:12 pm 
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Looking good!

I think I've heard that the Citadel base paints are really thick. Is that why you're not crazy about the consistency?

I was at a game store the other day, and ended up picking up a pot of Mournfang Brown to try out. I still haven't used any of my Citadel paints yet, other than the washes and technical stuff. Maybe this weekend I'll find the time to try it out.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I found that no matter how I thinned it, it always seem to need a fair amount work to smooth out brush strokes. Others out there seem to almost goop the stuff on though, so it may be that it's far more self leveling than I'm brave enough to risk! Treating it how I would any other paint might be what was tripping me up. Maybe do a test piece with your brown first, and see how it settles from being on thicker than normal. I'm loving my introduction to layer paints though as I do the green! It's brilliant for creating gradients.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm 
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea that it was so thick. Are you using just water to thin the paint or have you tried flow improvers like Liquitex?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Its not that it is that thick really. Just that it does seem to leave strokes when applied thinly. No, just water, but that certainly might've helped!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:35 am 
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

I did manage to try out two base colors from Citadel over the weekend. Mournfang Brown and Mephiston Red. I did add about 2ml of Liquitex Flow-aid to each pot (and that's part of a longer story). I could see without the Flow-aid that the paint could be very streaky. I mostly didn't run into that issue though. I found the paint to be interesting. It did cover the mini much faster than my experience with Vallejo paints. I applied two thinnish paints, and that was all I needed. That was over a grey primer. I usually use white primer, and I imagine I'd have to apply even more coats with the Vallejo paints to cover the grey.

I still have to try the Extra Opaque Vallejo set I picked up, to see how it compares. The other really nice thing about Citadel paints is you can easily find color combos and tutorials online. With the Vallejo line, I'm usually guessing what will work, which is sometimes straight trial and error. I'll probably someday be like all those 'cool painters' online who mix and match paints from a variety of lines. :lol:

Anyways, I would give Flowaid a try. That, plus a wash over the top, and I don't think you will see any paint strokes.

This was a quick test of the Mephiston Red with flow improver, before a wash: https://doubledowndice.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/img_8448.jpg

EDIT: Well, last night I was using the Mephiston Red again (still with Flowaid in the pot), and it started drying out on me. Soon as it started doing this, things got goopy and brush strokes started showing up. Adding a lot of water back in started to help. I guess I could've adding more Flowaid to the paint as well. Point is, Flowaid might not be the perfect solution I thought it was.

Board index » Models » Fantasy Football Miniatures & Products