Measuring the gameboard

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

lawquoter
Legend
Legend

Measuring the gameboard

Post by lawquoter »

Ok, I ran a search, but came up blank, so either I'm using the wrong key words, or nothing's been written about it before, although I swear I've seen it. Actually starting my homemade pitch, but my squares come up wrong. I ended up 1 row short, 25 instead of 26 lengthwise. Thus, my squares must be the wrong size. I'm driving myself nuts with the measurements. Anybody have them handy? I still have the other side of the foam board, and an extra, so 3 sides to get it right! :wink:

Reason: ''
NUFFLE SUCKS!
LQ says " I may be slow, but the sh*ttiness of this beer hasn't hit me yet."

I twist nuffle's teat and laugh.
Biff Smackwell
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Biff Smackwell »

I don't think the Blood Bowl pitch uses 1" squares. I don't even think they're actually squares. I dunno, it's what I read. They're not very precise. You're better off not measuring it and just doing 1" or maybe even slightly bigger squares.

Three touchdowns in one game. I almost got the Al Bundy Trophy.

[url=http://oldscratch.smackwell.com]Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum[/url] HeroQuest, BloodBowl, profanity... what more do you need?
Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

I dont know but I was to build a pitch i think I would start witht the outside edge measurements then split it up into a square grid after I had that the way I wanted it. Hope this helps.S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I can't find the thread either...but at one point I did paste some info over on the GW board, and I found it there. Now I can paste it back over here! :)

"Again, I'd use the overall board size and divide. Measuring one square is not the way to go IMO, cumulative error and all that.
Board length is somewhere close to 756mm..divide that by 26 and it gives you 29.07.
Do 28mm squares and 28*26 gives you 728...a 28mm difference. Or equivalent to a square shorter in overall length. Use 30 and you'll be 24mm or equivalent to most of a square longer.
Width is 440mm. Divide that by 15 and you get 29.33. If you use 29mm squares you'll get a total width of 435..a difference of 5mm which is perfectly fine.

Of course it all depends how anal you want to be in replicating the original size, but I'd go about in by starting with a 752 x 435 rectangle and mark off the squares at 29mm. HTH. "

I guess most of us could live with 4mm overall shorter and 5mm overall narrower. :)

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The only issue is ensuring that the range ruler changes size to match the dimensions you use.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Arkan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arkan »

Forget the range ruler, use a passing table. One time effort to measure it out. It'll simplify your measurements on the regular board as well.
Finding out possible "interceptors" should be possible without the ruler, if not, try to build one to the adapted size of your board.
When I build my own board (in Traveller's words: too many minis, to little time), I'll go for larger squares to avoid the overcrowded turns when you have big guys moving or lying around.

Jugular
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jugular »

Use tracing paper on the original board. Then poke holes through onto the foam and and then just connect each vertex? A bit laborious but should work. OR draw ur own ruler. Get a normal ruler. Get a strip of paper and match it against the original board and then stick it to the top of the ruler. Get a really sharp pencil and mark off the start and end of the width of each line.
Just some ideas not certain thay'll work. :)

lawquoter
Legend
Legend

Post by lawquoter »

Thanks for digging the thread out, DW. I think that was the one I was referring to. :wink: The Tracing paper idea may work. I may give that a go. Another attempt to be made tonight. :wink:

NUFFLE SUCKS!
LQ says " I may be slow, but the sh*ttiness of this beer hasn't hit me yet."

I twist nuffle's teat and laugh.
Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Da Scum »

Yeah I remember the fun I had with the measurements when I made my Goblin stadium. I soon found out that none of the squares are accurate measurements! For example using the range ruler I quickly noted that what is a legal pass in one row is illegal in another, yet it's the same number of squares! :roll:

There seems to be a "fudge" factor in the actual size of the squares, as even with measuring from exact centre of the line to the next for each box you can end up with different measurements. So using more "general" measurements with that "fudge" factor, say breaking the field down into sections...like the side-line to the first white line, helps make the process a bit more "accurate".

In the end I've come to the conclusion that ALL the printed fields are made by goblins... :lol:

Even the Goblin coach gets a +1 to injury rolls! Ow!
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

ianwilliams wrote:The only issue is ensuring that the range ruler changes size to match the dimensions you use.
Why, the range ruler didn't change when they went from styrofoam to cardboard and those pitches are 2 different sizes? Scum is right. Gobbos seem to be the greenskeepers so just get it close enough.

Have fun!
KLK

Post by KLK »

tracing paper, ruler, 1 inche squares...

relax! I already made 5 stadiums and, just like real life stadiums, all them are a little bit diferent in measures than the others and the official stadiums.

the diference is small, so, you don't have to worry about the measures of your home-made board. just try to keep the right size.

Andy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Andy »

I found 1.142 inches to work best as a good average per square. Your mileage may vary.