How many coats of varnish do you use?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Tante Kaethe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

How many coats of varnish do you use?

Post by Tante Kaethe »

Hi folks,

can anybody help me out on this one? I'm just in the final state of painting my new Goblin team for the Dutch Open and this is the first time that I really care that the paint job won't get ruined by playing with the figs. Reading this forum has really helped me to improve alot (from non-existing skills to mediocre... :roll: ), so I'd like to thank you all for sharing your wisdom :D .

I have already applied two coats of a semi matte varnish to 4 figs (no spray-varnish) but I wonder if this is enough protection and if applying several more layers would ruin the paint job :cry: . I've only used rudimentary shading and highlighting (compared to what i have seen here :o ) so there really isn't too much detail to be ruined :roll: .

Any help is really appreciated!

Tante Kaethe.

Reason: ''
squiggoth
Super Star
Super Star

Post by squiggoth »

I normally don't use varnish on my BB mini's (and they have survived a lot of games without any damage). My fantasy models are given 2 watered down coats of Folkart Matte varnish, but I'm considering giving them one coat of Citadel Matte Spray and one coat of thinned down Folkart Matte on top (for speed).

I have no signature and therefore I suck.
Arkan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arkan »

at least two .... sprayed on

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

one coat of Very light spray.B.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
Andy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Andy »

So far I found one coat with a good amount of matte spray to work best for me.

Sixpack595
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Sixpack595 »

squiggoth wrote:I normally don't use varnish on my BB mini's (and they have survived a lot of games without any damage).
:o Damn, I need to clearcoat mine several times. At least once in the process too. I do tend to hold the figs from whatever bit is convenient, so that wears on them. Plus the fact I work in a factory and have expected callused hands may help too. :-?

Flumox Fleebiter
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Flumox Fleebiter »

Actually, I never used to do any and they survived OK but I've noticed that on an old team, the paint colors seemed to change over time (~2 years, which is odd since they were in storage the whole time)...so I started using two generous coats of Testors Dull Cote spray. Can't tell a single bit of build up with the stuff on the mini, but it does build up in the flocking.

joker
Star Player
Star Player

Post by joker »

zero

may da WAAAGH ! be with me
orcdom
Experienced
Experienced

Post by orcdom »

use a gloss it is more durable, then hit with a coat of testors dullcoat to kill the shine. i think some of you fellas on the other side of the pond might call it purity seal, (at least what i get from guys talking about it on other boards)
Steve