Varnishing

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Levinas
Star Player
Star Player

Varnishing

Post by Levinas »

Hi, after some terrible luck with GW spray varnish (which I must say they sorted out really well for me) I am wondering what to try next? What do you guys use? I prefer a matt finish to gloss but don't want to lose too much brightness from the colours. Any suggestions?

Reason: ''
richred_uk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by richred_uk »

Hi

while I'm in no way one of the greatest painters, what I use is Miniature Paints' Gloss Varnish (2 coats) then a finishing coat of their Matt Varnish. I use these brushed on - that way I know I' not going to get nasty lumps building up by accident, and I feel you can get multiple thinner coats, like with nail varnish (so I'm told :oops: )

I use the gloss for anything I want to game with for the protection, and would even add an extra coat or so to the bits likely to get knocked. The Matt finishes it nicely.

Richard Davies

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

I used to use the GW varnish, or Ardcoat I think they call it now followed by purity seal, but that stuff is fecking useless.

I now use Windsor & Newton Acrylic Matt Varnish. It dries completely matt with no colour loss etc. and is at least as hard as the purity seal and isn't too far off the gloss varnish in terms of protection. £4 for a jar has done well over 100 minis and I've barely used 10%.

If anyone wants me to pick some up for them while I can (since we're moving) I will, and can bring it to a tourney...

Levinas
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Levinas »

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can pick some of both types up and I'll try them out.

'Ed Basha'
Star Player
Star Player

Post by 'Ed Basha' »

I use agreat spray called Flatkote. It's used for rc planes, has zero gloss, and is meant to withstand airplane fuel. this stuff rocks, and sells about 14$ canadian in hobby stores. But you have to check the places that sell model planes and trains rather than minis

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

'Ed Basha' wrote:I use agreat spray called Flatkote. It's used for rc planes, has zero gloss, and is meant to withstand airplane fuel. this stuff rocks, and sells about 14$ canadian in hobby stores. But you have to check the places that sell model planes and trains rather than minis
This sounds cool! Does it dull the paint?

http://www.impactminiatures.com
'Ed Basha'
Star Player
Star Player

Post by 'Ed Basha' »

not at all...it eliminates the shine, but you don't lose any colour...much better IMHO than a gloss.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by juck101 »

"I now use Windsor & Newton Acrylic Matt Varnish." - yep correct. I always used to like the satin which is a mid semi gloss/semi matt. All the windsor range is pretty good actualy, swear by them for about 12 years.

...the pope said to his aid...