WARNING... watch your PAYPAL account

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

traveller
Da Konstruktor

WARNING... watch your PAYPAL account

Post by traveller »

Just got a email about :
Notification of PayPal Limited Account Access from "service ad paypal.com "...
We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your PayPal account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the PayPal network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive PayPal account features.
Click below in order to regain access to your account:
Luckly i didnt click this link and send this email to PAYPAL security.
And PAYPAL just confirmed:

THIS was NOT a email send by PAYPAL !!!!!! Just very good made fake, same style of PAYPAL emails, email ID,... ... to get access to my account.

So, everybody using PAYPAL watch out, where to click !!

Sorry for posting the same post at different forums here... but better, everybody knew about this :)
Traveller

Reason: ''
ben

Post by ben »

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye out.

Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

I got that too!

I've decided that all e-mail coming from someone I don't know is SPAM. I delete 80% of what comes in without opening it.

Makes life much simpler :D

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

If you receive an e-mail which is stated to come from paypal, ebay, your bank or whatever, there are several things you can do. By looking at the header of the e-mail (in outlook right click the message -> properties -> details) you can view the header of the e-mail. Most fake mails have the sender you normally see changed so it appears legit. In the header you usually see the real sender (though this can be faked as well).

Another thing to do is to always contact ebay, paypal or whatever wo let them know you received that e-mail. To state the obvious: don't do that by using any contact information from the mail, but find the appropriate contact on the site (again, don't use any link from that mail to go to that site). You might think there always will be someone else who reports it, but you'll be surprised at how little complaints come back to those sites.

When contacting ebay, paypal et al post the header information and message body along with it as they'll need that info to be able to do something.

One last point: If you think you received a legit mail, double check with ebay et al, just to be on the safe side.

Grasshopper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grasshopper »

I got one jsut like it, but not for PAYPAL, but E-Bay. Asking me to fill in all sorts of stuff. I replied cc'ing e-bay support. "If this really is E-bay, tehn you should have no problem telling me what my username and password is...

Hmmm no reply. But I can see why folks would fall for it.

Like a fly marrying a bumblebee, I told you I'd shoot but you didn't believe me
WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME!
Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

You should forward it to spoof@ebay.com so that they can go after them.

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
BigD
Star Player
Star Player

Ebay, Paypal, Banks...

Post by BigD »

You should definitely forward them, but you've gotta admit these Spam Messages have improved a lot in the last 2 years. Couple of years back most people would have fallen for them as the stuff around then was complete rubbish! But also people are getting better at writing tools to harvest details from ebay etc as well. A lot of it isn't that hard but also the average IQ online has plummetted as every job bloggs and smuck gets onto the Net now! DOH! I remember when... Ahhhhhh None of this GUI stuff!

BigD

PS - Oh as if Ebay gives a shit anyway! Look they just got a smack on the hand to the value of $150,000. May sound like a lot but considering they got the commission on $7B last year alone its pathetic!