how to do bases?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sorne
Experienced
Experienced

how to do bases?

Post by sorne »

could someone help with bases as you can see my base works leaves a bit to be desired :oops: viewtopic.php?t=10897
help appreiciated.[/img]

Reason: ''
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I'm No expert, but i'd have mixed some of the grass flock in with some sand and also some small stones, this breasks up the one dimensional flock.

Paint the base green then second coat the top where you want to flock to stick with either Goblin Green , or a mix of goblin green and PVA. And spread the base around in the flock before it dries.

You'll get 100% better results. For other style bases then you'll need different techniques, but its a good starter

McDeth,
"Can't Sleep Clowns will eat me"

"Who's that Reverend Green??"
Kernspalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kernspalt »

My first advice would be to use a more brownish green than the one you are using now. I don't know how the new color is, but the old GW Goblin Green, for example, was good for basing.

I prefer the sand basing method for all of my minis instead of using flock: Just spread some PVA glue on the base, dip it in fine sand, and let it dry, best before you undercoat. Coat the sand over with your basing green, and when it's completely dried, drybrush it with a mixture of white and yellow. This one is, in my opinion, very fast, good looking and more durable than using flock.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Here what I do (it's a fairly common method):
GW modelling sand, painted dark brown (I use scorched) (thin the paint quite a lot so that it seeps in and gives good coverage), heavy drybrush with a lighter brown (snakebite leather), light Bleached Bone drybrush..static grass.
USE OLD BRUSHES!!

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

What Deathwing said. A bit of static grass adds a load of realism.

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!
Blixten
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blixten »

I really like the look that Deathwing has posted, but I just stick to the all-sand method myself.

sineater40k
Experienced
Experienced

Sand

Post by sineater40k »

Myself i just use good old sand, not only does it give decent results but its very durable. The static grass looks good on warhammer/40k stuff but i would think the grass on a Blood Bowl field would be trodden down a lot more. Plus with sand i dont have to vac out my carrying case after every game :)

Custom Pitch designs at
the Pitch Witch http://www.geocities.com/pitch_witch/
horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

drybrush the static grass too! If you don't the grass will look synthetic. I use a lightbrown/ yellow colour for this. I think it makes the overall appearence of the base much more realistic.

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

I do something simillar to DL, though I don't paint anything... well, I paint the base green, then PVA sand, then PVA grass over the sand. Looks good to me. :)

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

recently I wanted something diffrent so I went for astro granite bases. I just painted the base black and then put sand all over it and a wash of black then dry brushed grays until I was happy with it and added teh occasional white line.

ImageImage
NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Post by NightDragon »

Static grass, stones and flock. I put the static grass on first in patches, then mix the other two up and spread that on. Looks very smilar to DW's. Bases are definately worth the effort. They can make average paint jobs seem good for not too far away.

NUFFLE SUCKS! NUFF SAID!
Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
[img]http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=4dd13d90-202c-2355-3cbb-46081754461c&size=[/img]